Cleveland, a trade partner 4 the Seahawks?

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I've been trying to unearth viable trade partners lately to see what the possibilities might be. I could see a potential trade partner in Cleveland, whom I think now have 12 total picks, of which 7 are in the top 150. Seahawks trade 26 & 172 for Cleveland's 32, 100 & 141. This trade only slightly favors the Seahawks on the old trade chart, 725.5 VS: 723.6.

----Reasons this trade might be viable (other than just Cleveland being dumb).

(1) Cleveland (hopefully) may have "fallen in love" with a specific QB, WR or DL they need and want badly.
(2) cbssports.com current update has QB-Lynch available at #26, among other options.
(2) Seahawks end up with 5 picks in the top 100 & improve their #172 pick all the way up to 141, giving the Seahawks the new ownership of 7 picks in the top 150. ---- (32, 56, 90, 97, 100, 125, 141 then - 223 & 245.)
(3) Cleveland needs the best possible players they can get and should be desperate to do so.
(4) PC/JS could really do a lot with the picks they end up with. If the Seahawks need to sweeten the deal to make it happen, they could always throw in a 2017 mid/late rounder or something.

As of the current rankings, I see several QB, WR & DL prospects that Cleveland could seemingly want in the late 1-st round. If they fall for a guy and want to trade up to get him, why not us? :stirthepot:

sutz

Reaction score
Interesting idea. I think I would want a '17 2d (could we dream of a 1st? Probably not ;)) instead of the '16 100 and 141, though. ;)

HawkGA

Reaction score
I'm guessing there is no way the Seahawks come out ahead on a trade in terms of the value charts.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":2v5zsca5 said:
I'm guessing there is no way the Seahawks come out ahead on a trade in terms of the value charts.

Very little chance of that.

Also, we don't deal future picks in the PCJS era. He's mentioned a few times why he's opposed to doing that.

Honestly though, if we are to believe Schneider when we talks about the depth of this draft -- then I would expect him to do what he's done in almost each deal. To get into that depth with a volume of picks. And that usually means giving up some on paper value with draft picks that other teams don't really covet.

Should note, that 171 is a comp pick. Can't be traded. As is #215. Our native picks are:

#225 (from Cowboys)

It's a long way between picks #124 and #171. I could see us trying to get back in there in some fashion.

Willyeye

Reaction score
They can't trade Pick #171...it's a Compensatory Pick...can't trade those until 2017. I think you should just keep it simple. If you look at JS trades in past drafts, he's always left on the short end of the stick when it comes to the old Draft Value Chart.

Pick #26 is worth 700 points. Pick #32 is worth 590 points. Pick #100 is worth 100 points. If JS trades #26 to the Browns for #32 and #100, we get 690 points and they get 700 points. There's nothing wrong with that trade.

JS could also trade with the Raiders, #26 for Raider's #44 and #75. As I said, Pick #26 is worth 700 points. #44 (2nd rounder) is 460 and #75 (3rd rounder) is 215 points. That trade would be 700 points for the Raiders and 675 points for the Seahawks. We'd have 5 picks in the Top 100...3 picks in the Top 75...a total of 10 picks.

I think this is going to be a HUGE year for UDFA's and the Hawks are going to kill it right after the draft. Nobody has even close to the number of UDFA's that make the roster than do the Seahawks. It's a great selling tool when they want to sign UDFA's.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Willyeye":2lmx1jx4 said:
I think this is going to be a HUGE year for UDFA's and the Hawks are going to kill it right after the draft. Nobody has even close to the number of UDFA's that make the roster than do the Seahawks. It's a great selling tool when they want to sign UDFA's.
JS saying that there's what?... 200 players on their board? I wonder how many of them don't get drafted? I hope the prospects they're after see the success rate of UDFA's with Seattle and hope the team has a great post-draft signing period as well. There's already several players I'm identifying that would be intriguing to bring in. I'm always excited to hear about who they pick up after the draft. This year, probably more so and glad to hear JS say they've identified several more prospects than perhaps usual. That signing period can be fast and furious. I trust they've got an aggressive crew ready to get after it - perhaps especially this year.

Willyeye

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":9jghhw2t said:
Willyeye":9jghhw2t said:
JS saying that there's what?... 200 players on their board? I wonder how many of them don't get drafted? I hope the prospects they're after see the success rate of UDFA's with Seattle and hope the team has a great post-draft signing period as well. There's already several players I'm identifying that would be intriguing to bring in. I'm always excited to hear about who they pick up after the draft. This year, probably more so and glad to hear JS say they've identified several more prospects than perhaps usual. That signing period can be fast and furious. I trust they've got an aggressive crew ready to get after it - perhaps especially this year.

Yeah, I hadn't thought about JS' 200 prospect board and thought of it in terms of UDFA's, but I'll bet you're right. That's really exciting.

I had the following list of potential UDFA's listed with my Mock Draft from a month ago...unfortunately, some of them have probably moved up since then, but there are some good players on it:

UDFA's- DT Justin Zimmer, QB Jeff Driskel, QB Vernon Adams, G/C Anthony Fabiano, C Jake Brendel, G/T Sebastian Johansson, G Vi Teofilo, CB Lewis Hill, CB DeAndre Elliott, S Derrick Kindred, S Tyler Hunter, DT Connor Wujciak, DE Dean Lowry, OLB Devante Bond, OLB Chris Edwards, ILB Will Ratelle, RB Jhurell Pressley, WR Ricardo Louis, TE Ben Madon.

Hope they get some of these guys :) If I have time, I'll try to find some more UDFA guys next week.

OP
OP
CamanoIslandJQ

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
""Also, we don't deal future picks in the PCJS era. He's mentioned a few times why he's opposed to doing that.""
Didn't they recently trade future draft picks on CB-Sesay and SS-McCray?

I forgot pick #172 is an untradeable draft pick, sorry. Still, I think having 7 picks in the top 150 of a draft of 200 prospects would be a nice position to be in IMO. Maybe toss a 2017 4-th or 5-th round pick into that trade instead of #172 (while also keeping #172) would be a way to get the trade done. Keeping in mind if you can draft an OL to replace Sowell in training camp that maybe recoups a 6-th round comp.

IIRC, the Seahawks got a slight edge in the trade chart "points" used in the T-Lockett trade? I think they have sometimes come out a little behind sometimes a little ahead of the old draft chart in trades.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":1gt917ai said:
JS saying that there's what?... 200 players on their board? I wonder how many of them don't get drafted? I hope the prospects they're after see the success rate of UDFA's with Seattle and hope the team has a great post-draft signing period as well.

There are only 253 picks in this years' draft. I think probably close to 125 of those that will get drafted are not on our board at all. Guys that are too slow/small/short etc. Probably close to 30 CBs will get picked that aren't on our board at that one position alone. Probably a lot of OL prospects too as we're unusually picky in that regard. Maybe 25 draftees are not on the board at that position.

So it would figure that there will be close to 100 guys in UDFA that we gave a draftable grade. We do sometimes let draftable prospects fall to UDFA intentionally (Baldwin/Rawls) as a calculated risk thing where we are betting they don't get drafted and that we can pitch them on coming here.

This comment would strongly indicate that this UDFA class should be full of what would in other years qualify as 'priority UDFA' signees. With our track record in this regard and if this depth is true -- the UDFA class alone could end up being as good as some teams entire drafts come this time next year.

Honestly, I could even see our actual draft strategy with our R6/7 picks mirror this, so that the guys we don't think we have the inside track for in UDFA we commit a pick on them. And guys we think will come our way all things being equal we let slide.

Edit: We're not the only ones to think this draft is very deep:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ArrowheadPride/status/723546089077403649[/tweet]