TJ Green as our first pick?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
32 inch arms. 4.34 speed. 3-cone isn't impressive, but none of our CB2's have had good 3-cones. Kids a baller. Played safety at Clemson, but there are rumblings a team wants to draft him in first to convert him to press corner. These rumors coincide with an official visit with Seattle. Info from Davis Hsu's twitter, Daniel Jeremiah is the source.

I'd be on board. I like TJ a lot. It wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't riot. I think he's a stud. Thoughts?

titan3131

Reaction score
It would contradict their drafting history and go against what they specifically said they had as priorities for the off-season.

Now had we not signed lane then I could see it more likely but not with where we are now.

titan3131

Reaction score
I would say KC is probably the team dj was talking about.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Yeah, it would go against everything P&J have done approaching the draft. But man, it would be an interesting pick. That said, I can't see them spending that kind of capital on a CB2. It just wouldn't make sense unless they want him to move to safety and don't plan on resigning Kam.

Sort of a Deshawn Shead but better.

penihawk

Reaction score
He played at Clemson and the only way he ends up on our roster is he slid clear to the end of the 3rd round. I think his best football is ahead of him and gonna be a very good pro wherever he plays in the secondary.

McGruff

Reaction score
He's definitely a team and scheme fit, but looking at improvement over existing roster, I can't see him being a first round player. If he is, it's because they have him rated a LOT higher than most pundits.

The question really comes down to something like this . . .

How much better is Green than Lane?
How much better is Bullard than Rubin or Silaga or Hill?
How much better is Ifedi than Webb or Britt?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1t81en6d said:
Yeah, it would go against everything P&J have done approaching the draft. But man, it would be an interesting pick. That said, I can't see them spending that kind of capital on a CB2. It just wouldn't make sense unless they want him to move to safety and don't plan on resigning Kam.

Denver spent a first on a CB3...... they won the super bowl last year.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Knowing what the Seahawks like in terms of speed, length, attitude and physicality I have little doubt that they have a very very high grade on him. Would the pull the trigger early enough on a position they have had later round success with is the question.

I'd be totally on board if it happened.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1oxcom96 said:
Maelstrom787":1oxcom96 said:

Denver spent a first on a CB3...... they won the super bowl last year.

So you're implying that taking a CB3 in the first = Super Bowl?

Every team's needs are different year to year. Last year they were stacked elsewhere and took a luxury pick.

Saying Denver wasted a pick on a CB3 and won is akin to me saying Seattle burned their first pick on a backup RB in '13 and won a title.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
If they took a corner with the needs on the offensive and defensive lines.. this board would melt down lol

cover-2

Reaction score
I like the idea of Green's physical style of play at CB...But, if we are talking about converting a Safety to CB, I would rather draft Boston College Safety Justin Simmons. Simmons is 6-2 202 lbs. with 32 5/8 inch arm length, he has better ball skills than Green and Coach Carrol wants his CB's that can play the ball. Simmons last two years he had 7 interceptions with 7 PBU's and Green had 1 interception with 3 PBU's. If we had to take a safety and covert him to CB, then I'd prefer Simmons.

Green's combine/Pro Day numbers,
40-yard: 4.34
10-yard split: 1.52
vertical: 35 1/2
broad jump: 10'9"
3-cone: 7.10
20-yard shuttle: 4.41
bench: 13 reps

Simmons's combine/Pro Day numbers:
40-yard: 4.53
10-yard split: 1.56
vertical: 40
broad jump: 10'6"
3-cone: 6.58
20-yard shuttle: 3.85
bench: 16 reps

Both Green and Simmons have similar size, but Simmons has the better ball skill, along with the better #'s in CB transferable tests. Give me a CB that has good agility (3-cone/20-yard shuttle), along with a good 10-yard split & vertical jump. For me 40-yard times are overrated for CB's, especially if that fast CB doesn't have the ball skills to make a play on the ball.

If we were taking about converting a Safety to a hybrid LB/S, like the Cardinal's Deone Bucannon, then I would choose Green over Simmons.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
This won't be popular, but unless an obvious DL talent is at 26 (with pass rush ability); I'm really starting to think the Seahawks take a DB. I have no basis for that other than a gut feeling. Yes, I fully acknowledge that they have not done this in the past, despite the ET pick. Like pass rush, I don't think you can have enough good DBs. After all, the % of defensive plays in nickel is becoming the norm. The idea of "base" type of players has drastically changed, which is why I don't non-pass rushing DLs are going to get consideration at 26.

I also don't think this is limited to a CB. I think it could be a S/LB type as well.

Here's who I have my eye on:

CB William Jackson III - Might be the perfect pick. Creates turnovers. Long. Fast. Great production. Plays with an edge.

S Keanu Neal - Screams Seahawk. He could easily become a Deathbacker type. Great attitude. Team captain type.

S Karl Joseph - Most Seahawk player in the draft, IMO. Can play nickel, deep S, is physical, creates turnovers. IMO, he was a top 20 pick prior to the injury. Great attitude. Team captain type.

DB TJ Green - Converting him to CB would be such a Seahawk move (cliche). Outstanding tools. Phyiscal despite missed tackles. 2 star recruit. Plays with major attitude. Could be an unbelievable piece of clay to mold with Sherman/LOB.