A run on QBs

HawkGA

Reaction score
Listening to Mike and Mike this morning they were kicking around the possibility of up to 5 QBs being taken i the first round. That might be a little high but there could be maybe 2 others who go after the first 2. They were also speculating that these other two wouldn't start to go until at least pick #20. This potentially creates some demand for the Seahawks pick at #26.

So is this good for Seattle because the more QBs who go, the more players at other positions will be available for the Hawks at 26.

Or is this good for Seattle because they can raise their price for a trade down?

McGruff

Reaction score
This is crazy if true, and has all the makings of another 2011 draft which saw 6 QB's taken in the first 36 picks.

Out of those 6, four were certifiably garbage (Locker, Gabbert, Ponder and Kaepernick), one is patently average (Dalton) and one is a superstar (Newton). Everyone suspected going in that this was the case, yet pcik after pick QB desperate teams reached for below average talent to satisfy the positional importance and need.

And where are those teams today . . . aside from the one hit, they aren't that good.

And its that one hit that keeps teams reaching. Its bad enough to see Goff and Wentz, a 2nd round quality QB and a 3rd or 4th round developmental prosepct, go 1 and 2. But when guys like Lynch, Cook, Hackenberg and maybe even Prescott start getting first round looks . . . its crazy.

But have at it. pushed more players down to us and gives more ammunition for a potential trade down.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
I read an article the other day about the Eagles trade basically saying it seemed stupid (not just the trade but their QB strategy in general) but the simple fact is that the QB position is so important that if it works, they'll look like geniuses. Basically throw as much potential talent against the QB wall as you can and see what sticks.

I think the Broncos Super Bowl run last season is a perfect illustration of how that idea . . . . well, probably isn't so great.

kearly

Reaction score
I could see Lynch getting taken in the 1st and that's about it. Hackenberg was mediocre as a freshman and horrible as a sophomore and junior. I am really surprised he is not considered a late rounder. Cardale Jones has appeal, but he's probably a mid-to-late rounder based on lack of experience. Connor Cook's stock seems to be dropping like a rock due to him lacking NFL skills.

Apropos of nothing- If you could own stock in Andy Dalton, now would be a good time to sell it. If you could do the same for Kaepernick, this would be a good time to buy it.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
After Lynch there are both Connor Cook and Christian Hackenberg that could be potentially drafted by someone in the 1st. i'm really doubtful Prescott is even in that convo.

The more the merrier for Seattle b/c it'd mean s.o. might want to trade up from the early 2nd.

xgeoff

Reaction score
kearly":1oxsyh17 said:
I could see Lynch getting taken in the 1st and that's about it. Hackenberg was mediocre as a freshman and horrible as a sophomore and junior. I am really surprised he is not considered a late rounder. Cardale Jones has appeal, but he's probably a mid-to-late rounder based on lack of experience. Connor Cook's stock seems to be dropping like a rock due to him lacking NFL skills.

Apropos of nothing- If you could own stock in Andy Dalton, now would be a good time to sell it. If you could do the same for Kaepernick, this would be a good time to buy it.

He was not mediocre as a freshman. He was excellent and there appears to be merit in the argument that the coaching at Penn St was a disaster.

I would say Hackenberg, Lynch and Cook have every bit as good a chance at being successful as Wentz and Goff.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
McGruff":3jt1a55h said:
This is crazy if true, and has all the makings of another 2011 draft which saw 6 QB's taken in the first 36 picks.

Out of those 6, four were certifiably garbage (Locker, Gabbert, Ponder and Kaepernick), one is patently average (Dalton) and one is a superstar (Newton). Everyone suspected going in that this was the case, yet pcik after pick QB desperate teams reached for below average talent to satisfy the positional importance and need.

And where are those teams today . . . aside from the one hit, they aren't that good.

And its that one hit that keeps teams reaching. Its bad enough to see Goff and Wentz, a 2nd round quality QB and a 3rd or 4th round developmental prosepct, go 1 and 2. But when guys like Lynch, Cook, Hackenberg and maybe even Prescott start getting first round looks . . . its crazy.

But have at it. pushed more players down to us and gives more ammunition for a potential trade down.

Pretty sure that the Vikings who picked Ponder are just fine. Bridgewater is only 23 with 2 years of NFL experience and IMO is at least a top 15 QB and is enough to win. I mean they pretty much dominated Seattles offense all day apart from ONE Wilson miracle play and were a chip shot FG away from moving on to the next round

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I heard the guys on Mike and Mike talking about Connor Cook being the most talented QB prospect but that he has "charicter issues". When I got to work I googled him and found where a lot of scouts were saying similar things. A few came right out and said he's a butt head. Do you think they are worried about a Johnny Football type occurance? Maybe Ryan Leaf? I ask because by most accounts Tom Brady is an asshole but he is also the current standard by which NFL QBs are measured.
Thoughts?

McGruff

Reaction score
brimsalabim":303zqa9s said:
I heard the guys on Mike and Mike talking about Connor Cook being the most talented QB prospect but that he has "charicter issues". When I got to work I googled him and found where a lot of scouts were saying similar things. A few came right out and said he's a butt head. Do you think they are worried about a Johnny Football type occurance? Maybe Ryan Leaf? I ask because by most accounts Tom Brady is an asshole but he is also the current standard by which NFL QBs are measured.
Thoughts?

It's lying time.

Same things are suddenly being said about Paxton Lynch. That he's a blamer and lacks acountability. And suddenly Christian Hacker berg is an angel despite being characterized as a diva the last 3 years.

Teams are trying to drive players up and drive others down to manipulate the board.