Should Center be the First OL Position Drafted

HawkGA

Reaction score
I know there is some thought that the talent difference from a 1st round center to a 3rd round center isn't really that big. So from that perspective it makes sense for the Hawks to wait a bit before picking a center. But given what we saw last year and given it is entirely possible the line will feature 3 new starters (rookie starters at that possibly), does that increase the value of getting a kick ass center?

Other general random draft thoughts that aren't worthy of their own thread . . . I really want the Hawks to make 3 of their first 4 selections on the OL and probably that fourth on the DL (though honestly I don't see DL as much of a need as I think the FO does). Part of me also thinks the team should just turn this draft over to Cable and let him use as much draft capital to draft the players he wants. And if he still can't get it right, he needs to go.

McGruff

Reaction score
I think they did that lat year with Glowinski, Poole and Sokoli. Im interested to see how those three are coming along and this draft may help indicate our belief, or unbelief, in Cable and his pets.

Largent80

Reaction score
Unbelievable that Sokoli was kept on the 53 the whole year if they didn't think he could make the conversion, THEN they started Nowicki over Lewis and we stunk severely and lost leads in games we should have won.

Sokoli is the X factor in this whole deal of getting a center. We, as fans have no idea of what Cable, P&J are thinking about the position but as a fan, I want a center that played center in college at a high level.

Get Britt out of being a starter. If we are going to suck on OL, let's do it young. DRAFT OL...PLEASE.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
I agree about getting rid of brit, he is a backup. The cool thing about if we draft ryan kelly at center is they say he can be just as effective at guard. The stuff I have read about the guy is he is the best interior linemen in the draft, not just best center. That's why I want him drafted. Bring him in, and maybe he slides to guard and Sokoli or lewis start at center. That versatility is intriguing to me. Hope it works out. If not, Martin can start day one, and is a possible pick if we trade out of first. My ideal situation, kelly at center and lewis, Sokoli and glow compete at guard spots to get rid of britt. Joe dahl will be there mid round, just read he was nations highest rated pass blocker last two years. He has fallen because he plays for a team that throws over 50 times a game. I have to believe that the best pass blocker in the nation can learn to run block. You aren't the best purely by talent, you have to think there is some intelligence in there somewhere. Would like to see him come in and battle for both tackle spots. I think those two draft picks will be the start of fixing our line for years to come, well until other tears come and offer our guys unreasonable contracts that is.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":1cm6euvt said:
does that increase the value of getting a kick ass center?

Before I could answer that, I'd want to know who the existing kick ass centers are in this league.

And then see how much value they bring to their clubs.

Right now I can think of a lot of good OCs who play for crap teams. Not sure I buy the intrinsic value of having a good/great center. Kalil is about the only consistently good center on a championship caliber team. He's been good for a long time. Carolina was only good last year.

I think I can make the case that high quality at center has absolutely no correlation to team success. I think it'd be easier to argue the point. And more convincingly too.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
McGruff":2v19w161 said:
I think they did that lat year with Glowinski, Poole and Sokoli. Im interested to see how those three are coming along and this draft may help indicate our belief, or unbelief, in Cable and his pets.

In fairness to Cable, they were all post 4th round picks, correct? There seems to be this belief that he can get marginal talent and make them serviceable. That, to me, doesn't really seem to be the case. So I say give him some higher rated talent just to see.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3284lpxb said:
HawkGA":3284lpxb said:
does that increase the value of getting a kick ass center?

Before I could answer that, I'd want to know who the existing kick ass centers are in this league.

And then see how much value they bring to their clubs.

Right now I can think of a lot of good OCs who play for crap teams. Not sure I buy the intrinsic value of having a good/great center. Kalil is about the only consistently good center on a championship caliber team. He's been good for a long time. Carolina was only good last year.

I think I can make the case that high quality at center has absolutely no correlation to team success. I think it'd be easier to argue the point. And more convincingly too.

That's a fair question. I'm basing the suggestion primarily on what we saw happen last year with the Hawks' line.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I don't want a C in the 1st as there is no Zach Martin type sure thing this year. Why grab a marginal center instead of a player at a more impactful position. Lewis did just fine last year so he is our worst case scenario here.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I'd take Spriggs over Kelly straight up. I don't think PC/JS force an early pick at center.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Largent80":2phzx17a said:
Attyla the Hawk":2phzx17a said:
Carolina was only good last year.

Good enough to beat us TWICE and play in the SB.

So the inference is they beat us twice because of their center?

Or are you saying we beat them 4 straight times because of Unger?

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of saying "x position needs to be taken in round 1."

If we had to choose between just 1 OL being drafted (in 1st round) or 3 OL being drafted (in different rounds) i think most people on here would vote for 3 OL.

There isn't a single position on the line that can't be won by a hard-working talented rookie.

To answer the actual question, i'd go Center if Kelly is on the board. If the Hawks draft a Tackle with "unique attributes" we could be waiting 3 or 4 years before we see results. If the Hawks draft Kelly we fix our problem at C for many years.

Hawks46

Reaction score
No.

Unless you get an Alex Mack or Nick Mangold, you don't draft a Center in the 1st.

We can get a damn good Center in the 2-4th rounds, and this year maybe in the 5th. Someone who would be better than anyone we have on the roster now.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3hlb67pt said:
I'm not a big fan of saying "x position needs to be taken in round 1."

If we had to choose between just 1 OL being drafted (in 1st round) or 3 OL being drafted (in different rounds) i think most people on here would vote for 3 OL.

There isn't a single position on the line that can't be won by a hard-working talented rookie.

To answer the actual question, i'd go Center if Kelly is on the board. If the Hawks draft a Tackle with "unique attributes" we could be waiting 3 or 4 years before we see results. If the Hawks draft Kelly we fix our problem at C for many years.

I'd absolutely have 3 OL than just 1. But my theory on the Center first approach is precisely because we may well be going 3 OL. Does having a quality center help keep communication and unity on the line?

AgentDib

Reaction score
HawkGA":ei83i5pz said:
I'd absolutely have 3 OL than just 1. But my theory on the Center first approach is precisely because we may well be going 3 OL. Does having a quality center help keep communication and unity on the line?
So your theory is that Ryan Kelly would have a lot better communication on our team than a mid rounder like Evan Boehm, or Sokoli/Nowak/Lewis with now multiple years of experience? That seems like a stretch. Measurables and athleticism are what separate the early picks from the late picks.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
I'm not smart enough to have a theory. Really just a question.

And I will say that I think having Lewis on the roster helps mitigate the needs quite a bit . . . . if Cable isn't too stubborn to use him if necessary.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
No. If Kelly was a physically dominate Center like a Kevin Mawae maybe but he is not. There will be BPA than Kelly at 26.