What is the skinny on Marcus Henry - BSU Center

drdiags

Reaction score
The CFO at my company has a son that played for Boise State, Marcus Henry. He mentioned that his son has been fielding calls from several teams, probably being setup as a possible UDFA. I see he is thought to be a 7th round/UDFA ranked player though Gil Brandt has him listed as a sleeper.

His measurements don't seem to hit the traits I see most here mention about Seahawks players but was wondering if anyone had a feel about him:

Marcus Henry, C, Boise State
A lot of the attention at Boise State's pro day on March 31 was on DE Kamalei Correa, who solidified his first-round stature at the event. But Henry (6-2 5/8, 299) didn't go unnoticed by the representatives there from all 32 NFL teams. He's a tough, hard-nosed player, and very strong. He reminds me of Denver Broncos center Matt Paradis, whom Henry replaced at Boise.

» Pro day results: 40: 5.15 | VJ: 30 | BJ: 8-5 | Short shuttle: 4.59 | Three-cone: 7.70 | Bench: 28

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-scouting-combine-snubs-to-nfl-draft-sleepers

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Hawks have been linked to him. I would expect him to be a UDFA -- and a prospect we've laid in some groundwork to acquire in that phase.

McGruff

Reaction score
Yeah, the Seahawks are said to be interested and high on both Henry and Rees Obhiamboehaoondheoaen%$*!^!.

He doesn't fit the profile, but a lot of players linked to the Hawks this year are a bit off the norm. Could be a paradigm shift going on.

OP
OP
drdiags

drdiags

Reaction score
His profile doesn't jump out but beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess:

OVERVIEW
The 2014 and 2015 first-team All-Mountain West pick at center is not huge, overly athletic, nor physically dominating. But as far as sturdy, reliable linemen go, Henry could be seen as one of the better options in this year’s senior class. Henry also started as a sophomore at right guard, giving him some versatility that will be needed if he is to stick on an NFL roster.

[...snip...]

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Physical center who looks to finish blocks with authority when he gets the upper hand. Aggressive into first contact looking to jolt defender and set a tone. Uses forceful punch to twisters and blitzers that enter his domain. Plays with decent hip flexion and a wide base. Able to snap hips into contact and can drop his rear to anchor against bull rush. Recovery skills are better than expected. Competitive juices flare after being badly beaten on previous rep.

WEAKNESSES Limited range as a blocker. Too slow climbing up to angles on second level and cut­off blocks will be challenging. Waist­bender with weight too far forward. Has short arms and small hands prevent him from consistently securing blocks after plus initial contact. Won’t generate much push as an in­line blocker. Limited as blocker in space with a high strikeout rate.

[...snip...]

BOTTOM LINE Three-year starter and part of a senior class that won 40 games while at Boise State. Henry lacks the length and size that teams want from draftable center prospects, but he plays with some pop and he works his butt off to stay on his blocks by any means necessary. The will and play demeanor are there to get him into a camp, but other traits may prevent him from hearing his name called in April.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/marcus-henry?id=2555186