Schools leaving FBS

SeatownJay

Reaction score
It appears that some of the have-nots are considering giving up on the dream of FBS football. This week has seen rumors (since disputed by the school) of Eastern Michigan dropping out of FBS, Idaho announcing their intention to move back to FCS, and now the faculty at UMass is calling for the school to either drop down or drop football altogether. As it becomes more and more expensive to operate a top-tier football program I wonder how many more schools will look to cut costs by dropping down.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Glad to see Idaho going back to FCS. Their rivalries in the Big Sky with Montana, Montana St., Weber St. et. al, in the 60s and 70s was good small college football and it's awesome to see those rekindled along with a new one with Eastern Washington.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Idaho didn't really have a choice, the Sun Belt essentially booted them and New Mexico State from the league.

I think the amount of schools in FBS will stay right around where it is now.. while you have your Idaho's, NMSU's, UMass, etc .. you also have some really good FCS schools that may entertain making the leap as well.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1j15jmvk said:
Idaho didn't really have a choice, the Sun Belt essentially booted them and New Mexico State from the league...........
Yeah I am aware of that. As someone who grew up in Spokane and started paying attention to sports in 1964, I am selfishly happy they're back in the Big Sky.

My maternal grandfather was a HUGE football fan and one of the first ever live sporting events I attended was an Idaho vs. Montana football game in Missoula in I believe 1965 when I was 9 years old. Vandals had a RB named Ray McDonald who ended up as a first round draft choice of the Redskins. I remember it being a very exciting game and that McDonald was the difference for the Vandals.