Reminds me of the Carp pick.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I would take an O-lineman of Carp's caliber right now for sure. That is an upgrade at this point.

sutz

Reaction score
HawkFan72":21cjimxx said:
I would take an O-lineman of Carp's caliber right now for sure. That is an upgrade at this point.
Yeah, after all the complaining, a step up to league average would be nice. :laugh:

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Ifedi is huge, (as was Carpenter) but he is far and away more athletic than Carpenter. Ifedi could very well turn out to be a left tackle. Although I think they put him in at left guard first.

chris98251

Reaction score
If there was a place to go and teach technique he landed in Paradise, Cable will get him going in the right direction.

cheese22

Reaction score
Carp was considered a pretty big reach uric. Ifedi isn't at all. You guys who don't like it, what we're you expecting? Probably the same guys who would complain about the line next year if we didn't upgrade.

kearly

Reaction score
A lot of people were hoping for Ifedi before the draft. The complainers are just being loud.

It's just my opinion which doesn't mean much, but IMO Ifedi was clearly the best OL available for Seattle's system at both #26 and #31.

Carp was an under-rated pick. He's turned into a good player. Ifedi is more physically gifted than Carp was. And younger.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
kearly":2jufu28p said:
A lot of people were hoping for Ifedi before the draft. The complainers are just being loud.

It's just my opinion which doesn't mean much, but IMO Ifedi was clearly the best OL available for Seattle's system at both #26 and #31.

Carp was an under-rated pick. He's turned into a good player. Ifedi is more physically gifted than Carp was. And younger.

Exactly once again Kearly nails it.

kearly

Reaction score
I was watching the live war room feed on a laptop while watching the draft live on TV at the same time.

The War room was pretty pumped after the card was handed in. JS and others grinning ear to ear.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I'd take a Carp with no season ending injuries which ruined his development.

delagator7

Reaction score
I hope he can run block as well as Carp, but be a better pass blocker.

Hopefully he can be a starter for years to come, and stay injury free. Hopefully he can win the RT spot day one.

kearly

Reaction score
Another difference, Carp had 34" arms, which is close to average for a tackle. Ifedi has 36" arms, about the same length as Russell Okung.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
kearly":2i72pe3x said:
I was watching the live war room feed on a laptop while watching the draft live on TV at the same time.

The War room was pretty pumped after the card was handed in. JS and others grinning ear to ear.

It looked like there was some confusion or antsyness when Clark and Nkemdiche came off the board. I still think we were targeting a DT and there was a run that left us with Ifedi.

Remember when Philly draft MLB Kendricks out from under us. We got BWagz and that turned out well. I think this will be the same. I would not be all that excited if I was GB and had just drafted Clark. Nkemdechi could bust with the attitude he has, and Butler hasn't proven it against elite competition. Ifedi surprising feels like a safe pick yet he has so much upside.

xgeoff

Reaction score
thegreeninyoureye":bsxl7g93 said:
People didn't like it but he was serviceable. In the end it was probably a smart move.

Nah, Carp was a reach. And he was hardly serviceable. And even if he was, is that really what you want from a 1st round pick? Serviceable?

Jeremy517

Reaction score
The best we've seen from any of Cable's projects is Carpenter, who improved to below average and then left via free agency. Ifedi is another one of his projects.

PFF's review of the Ifedi pick is probably pretty identical to what they would have said after the Carpenter pick:

1. Seattle Seahawks: Germain Ifedi, OT, Texas A&M

To say we differed from the Seahawks’ assessment of Ifedi, their selection at No. 31 overall, is an understatement. Ifedi had a sixth-round grade on our big board and was our 12th overall tackle in the class. He simply did not grade well at all, finishing with a negative pass-blocking grade a season ago. Sure, he is strong, and has a fantastic frame for the position, but his technique is nowhere near an NFL level yet. It will take him a few years to even get to an NFL starter’s level, and then at that point the Seahawks will have to break out the checkbook for his second contract.

That last sentence pretty much nailed Carpenter's time with Seattle. That is not a career path that we should be aiming for.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Jeremy517":2uo8k4q2 said:
The best we've seen from any of Cable's projects is Carpenter, who improved to below average and then left via free agency. Ifedi is another one of his projects.

PFF's review of the Ifedi pick is probably pretty identical to what they would have said after the Carpenter pick:

1. Seattle Seahawks: Germain Ifedi, OT, Texas A&M

To say we differed from the Seahawks’ assessment of Ifedi, their selection at No. 31 overall, is an understatement. Ifedi had a sixth-round grade on our big board and was our 12th overall tackle in the class. He simply did not grade well at all, finishing with a negative pass-blocking grade a season ago. Sure, he is strong, and has a fantastic frame for the position, but his technique is nowhere near an NFL level yet. It will take him a few years to even get to an NFL starter’s level, and then at that point the Seahawks will have to break out the checkbook for his second contract.

That last sentence pretty much nailed Carpenter's time with Seattle. That is not a career path that we should be aiming for.

PFF's assessment is an outlier.

Doesn't mean they will end up being wrong, but he is was fairly uniformly considered the 5th best olineman, and a late first/early second round pick.

xgeoff

Reaction score
To the scouts credit, Carpenter now looks much better that he is away from Cable. I saw him play for the Jets and I couldn't believe it was the same guy.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I hope this turns out much better than the carp pick. Carp was never able to protect. We can't have that with this pick. Either he learns or we lose our QB. I'm happy with the pick because at least he is at a possition of great need but by all accounts he is very raw.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
xgeoff":1ivu4am9 said:
To the scouts credit, Carpenter now looks much better that he is away from Cable. I saw him play for the Jets and I couldn't believe it was the same guy.
If true this is very worrisome.