Hawks now have five picks in the first 100 spots.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Good ammo to trade up in the 2nd if there's a guy we really like and want to target. Or 4 more pretty good players if we stand pat.

chris98251

Reaction score
JSeahawks":myr2hr5z said:
Good ammo to trade up in the 2nd if there's a guy we really like and want to target. Or 4 pretty good players if we stand pat.

There are a lot of players in that 3rd to 5th rounds that are close, we get depth and shore up thin spots here with decent talent levels.

sutz

Reaction score
chris98251":13ym1hp8 said:
JSeahawks":13ym1hp8 said:
Good ammo to trade up in the 2nd if there's a guy we really like and want to target. Or 4 pretty good players if we stand pat.

There are a lot of players in that 3rd to 5th rounds that are close, we get depth and shore up thin spots here with decent talent levels.
Yeah, we're not really short on starters, but some solid depth is deeply needed. So far, so good.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I wrote something about this in another thread (can't remember exactly which one.) I wanted to see them trade down and pick up another selection in the first 3 rounds to give them 5. I'm happy. They could very well attempt to trade up for a player they have high on their wish list. But, staying put would be cool with me, too.

What a wacky round 1. But, I'm excited about the rest of the draft and the additions to come.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Couple of flyers on some high reward guys like Myles Jack and Jaylon Smith not out of the question. IMAGINE the reward should they both recover!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Great job by JS and the whole FO!!!

He picked one of the players he was targeting and gathered up an extra 3rd Rd pick. Score!!!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
If the team's draft board is as deep as reported I could see the team moving around more at the end of the 2nd or now more likely the 3rd.

:0190l: :th2thumbs: :179422:

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
It's going to be an exciting day boys and girls. Can't wait to see who they take in our money rounds. Three picks in the third, man that is awesome.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Really like the strategy of accumulating picks that the Hawks are taking.

It's always the right strategy IMO, but for the Hawks in particular it's really good.

They need decent starters in a few holes, rotational guys, and depth.

This is the way to get those things.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":v5zk83o8 said:
Couple of flyers on some high reward guys like Myles Jack and Jaylon Smith not out of the question. IMAGINE the reward should they both recover!

It would be awesome to see them turn that extra pick into jaylon smith. I think jack will be gone soon in the second, I think teams just wanted to get out of the first to limit the risk of a first round bust.

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":3fisf79h said:
SomersetHawk":3fisf79h said:

It would be awesome to see them turn that extra pick into jaylon smith. I think jack will be gone soon in the second, I think teams just wanted to get out of the first to limit the risk of a first round bust.

Maybe. Could also me like Marcus Lattimore.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Popeyejones":37etmk4d said:
Really like the strategy of accumulating picks that the Hawks are taking.

It's always the right strategy IMO, but for the Hawks in particular it's really good.

They need decent starters in a few holes, rotational guys, and depth.

This is the way to get those things.
Well, accumulating picks isn't a strategy unique to any particular season. I would say it's never a bad idea because that gives a team draft currency to move around or use them to accumulate picks in future drafts. As far as the Seahawks, they value creating competition in position groups. Tom Cable answered with that when talking about how they feel about the OT's after taking Ifedi.

To say the Hawks need "decent" starters in a few holes... makes me scratch my head. Yes, they've lost a few players in free agency. But, we're talking about one of the elite teams - and deepest teams - in the NFL that other teams have been monitoring for cast offs in recent years. JS is always answering these kind of statements about perceived lack of depth that there are players they've got that haven't had the chance to be seen because of the depth ahead of them.

Your comments sound more appropriate for a team that is lacking, not a Hawks team that has become a perennial threat and favorite to win it all. Compared to many teams, they are a team in pretty good shape. Some turnover is to be expected. I don't think they're looking for immediate starters (and to count on rookies for that is a tough task for the player.) Rather, they just want to put them in the mix of competition.

If you listen to the pre-draft press conference, JS/PC said that it has become MUCH tougher to even make this team. That doesn't sound like the team you describe in such need of "decent starters", etc.