Making the case for Derrick Henry

kearly

Reaction score
Henry isn't a great fit for Tom Cable or the existing personnel on the OL, so I have worries that as a bell cow back he could struggle in Seattle.

However, I do think there are reasons why selecting Henry at some point today might not be a terrible idea.

For starters, Seattle doesn't really have a need at RB. It would be more accurate to say there is an opening on the roster. So even if Henry is a bust, Seattle can handle damage control pretty effectively as they still have Rawls and Michael on the roster. Basically, whoever Seattle drafts at RB is probably only going to see 100 carries a season, provided that one of Rawls or Michael can stay healthy.

I personally prefer guys like Dixon, Ervin, and Williams, with Ervin feeling the most likely of the bunch. But none of those guys have the bulk that Henry has that would theoretically help him as a blitz pickup guy, and none of them come close to his raw power in short yardage situations.

Henry is a bit like Robert Turbin in that you can ankle tackle him pretty easily and the turf monster can gobble him up from time to time, but in goal line situations it's pretty rare to have backfield penetration and he'd likely be a good situational back for goal line and 4th and 1.

I can't really say the same for our existing RBs. Rawls and Michael are surprisingly mediocre in power running situations. Seattle could use a bludgeon RB on the roster, somebody to fill the LaGarrette Blount role.

This doesn't mean that Seattle NEEDS to draft a battering ram RB, it's only to say that if Seattle does draft Henry, they could find uses for him even if he's less than amazing as an every down back in a ZBS.

I personally wouldn't draft Henry for Seattle. But if John Schneider picks him up today so as to make Seattle the bully again, I'll understand where he is coming from, and I won't freak out too much since there are ways to get value from the pick even if Henry underwhelms as a starter.

Latest posts