One Gripe

HawkGA

Reaction score
No center? And now no 4th round pick. Don't see the Hawks getting a replacement level talent at that position this year.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
That probably means they like Sokoli this year. Now we have the following
LT Gilliam Sowell
LG Britt Odhiambo
C Lewis Sokoi
RG Glowinski ???
RT Webb Ifedi

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":1wv7g9su said:
That probably means they like Sokoli this year. Now we have the following
LT Gilliam Sowell
LG Britt Odhiambo
C Lewis Sokoi
RG Glowinski ???
RT Webb Ifedi
Someone posted a quote from Pete (i think) in the last couple months that basically made it clear that Sokoli is still a project and isn't really in the mix yet. They aren't going into the season with Sokoli as the backup.

Right now Nowak is the backup.

That's why a lot of us have been hoping for a true C in the draft, so we can bump Lewis to backup (or move him to G, depending on how everything shakes out).

NYCoug

Reaction score
The feeling might be that Lewis is capable of holding down the fort until Sokoli is ready in 2017. I feel that, with better talent at the guard spots around him, Lewis is more than serviceable. Plus, he can help out Ifedi with his transition to life in the NFL.

I'd be down with this, if that is the line of thinking after all. We're all just hacks having fun with this, so who knows?

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Listening to Brock and Salk yesterday, it sounded like if Ryan Kelly was available when the Bills picked that the Hawks would have traded up for him. Trading up in the first would have been a pretty big deal for the Hawks, so I gotta think Center is an area of concern for them.

Largent80

Reaction score
I wanted a center as well but felt the f.o. was content with who we have. Let's hope Lewis stays healthy because we know what Nowak brings. And Sokoli spent the whole year on the 53. He may never play a down and is taking up a valuable spot on the roster.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Largent80":ng6ak16h said:
I wanted a center as well but felt the f.o. was content with who we have. Let's hope Lewis stays healthy because we know what Nowak brings. And Sokoli spent the whole year on the 53. He may never play a down and is taking up a valuable spot on the roster.

Honestly I think I'd feel better if Cable had started Lewis from the beginning of the season last year. But he's shown a history of taking great risks in an effort to replace him and it worries me he's going to do the same again this season.

xgeoff

Reaction score
I really wanted Nick Martin or Graham Glasgow, both of whom could have played C or G. However, we did get Joey Hunt from TCU. The very small amount of tape I saw was promising, though I heard him referred to as *undersized* a few times. We'll have to see how this all shakes out.

Ultimately the FO needs to take people on the line they are comfortable with. And I noticed this year that they seemed to place a premium on character. And although I don't like what I've seen on Ifedi's tape, I must admit that the young man seems to have a superlative character. Seems like a solid guy, very smart, very mature.

John Schneider seemed to talk a lot about the character of the picks when he was asked about them.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Right now Lewis and Nowak are your Centers I don't see that changing . I think Lewis gets the start and Nowak is the backup unless Hunt can somehow pull off an upset. I never felt Center was a glaring problem after Lewis showed he can handle the job, as it turns out neither did the FO.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Hunt might surprise you guys. If he was taller he would of been drafted much higher.....interesting.

cheese22

Reaction score
Nowak has no business being considered as a backup option. He was bad. Aunt's lack of height and length won't be so glaring at C. Having the lower center of gravity won't work against him and one of his strengths was being able to hold at the point of contact. Does it matter how tall you are if you can hold your ground? Measurements are overrated in some situations.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
cheese22":2z5dcdnz said:
Nowak has no business being considered as a backup option. He was bad. Aunt's lack of height and length won't be so glaring at C. Having the lower center of gravity won't work against him and one of his strengths was being able to hold at the point of contact. Does it matter how tall you are if you can hold your ground? Measurements are overrated in some situations.

Nowak has been waived.

Davidess

Reaction score
austinslater25":3128fesf said:
Hunt might surprise you guys. If he was taller he would of been drafted much higher.....interesting.

Hunt IIRC measured in at 6'1 6/8 while Patrick lewis measured in 6' 7/8. Hunt I think has a chance to win the starting spot. Also something that has been brought up more than once on other sites and reporters. Britt possibly playing C. Hawks liked him at C or the idea last off season I believe

delagator7

Reaction score
Justin Britt moved to Center according to Tom Cable on the John Clayton Show.

Ifedi and Ohdiambo are both challenging for the starting guards spots- must have made a heck of an impression on Cable on their workouts.