Rees Odhiambo

jammerhawk

Reaction score
So much for the TEF basic requirements with this player.

I wonder though if his recently broken ankle has slowed him or reduced his explosiveness so he didn't perform in the physical testing as well as his athletic ability indicates he should. He certainly has an injury history and seems an unusual pick.

He played well in college and Coach Cable sees something in him so who knows.

delagator7

Reaction score
I know he didn't run a 40 during his pro-day, don't know if he was invited to the combine. There is so much mystery in this pick. I am really wondering is Reese that much better a prospect that OG Connor McGovern Missouri?

There isn't anything just the eyeball test that Reese is explosive at all.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I wonder if he is perceived as a potential G or T?

His film looks OK at times, but his athleticism seems to be an outlier to what we have come to expect is normal for the team.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Maybe Cable is wanting to convert him to DT. Just to even things out a bit...

McGruff

Reaction score
The team has told him he's going to be a guard, and lists him as such on their press releases.

Rees is NFL ready. I think that is what gives him the edge over guys like McGovern and Dahl. He's got a ton of experience in a pro style offense that actually fires off the ball.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He does seem to be an outlier in terms of physicality though. Maybe we've just come expect different.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
JS said that Tom Cable told them that Ifedi and Odhiambo were the two "strongest" lineman he worked out.

kearly

Reaction score
Odhiambo has his arms collapse in the run game and gets rag dolled by defensive lineman. He only managed 23 reps on bench with average arm length.

Ifedi is pretty strong though. 24 reps is a good number for 36" arms and he plays with a lot of brute force.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Its about the feet.

You can be sparqd up, tef'd up but if youre heavy footed and use sloppy footwork, chances are all that athleticism means jack squat.

Seafan

Reaction score
kearly":1uywtzqe said:
Odhiambo has his arms collapse in the run game and gets rag dolled by defensive lineman. He only managed 23 reps on bench with average arm length.

Ifedi is pretty strong though. 24 reps is a good number for 36" arms and he plays with a lot of brute force.
Strength for OL is in the lower body. Odhiambo's bad habits can be coached out. You can't coach brute strength and explosiveness. He also won't be starting from scratch like a lot of the projects the Hawks have had. Plus, guard may be his best position so he's a bit of an unknown there. (Carpenter)

The Hawks obviously are tired of seeing DL running through the OL like butter. In this division the Hawks needed to seriously improve their front in a hurry or risk falling behind. LG IMO is going to be fun to watch this year. Britt needs to step up quickly or he'll be working for Cleveland soon.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Seafan":1iaba4n9 said:
kearly":1iaba4n9 said:

Strength for OL is in the lower body. Odhiambo's bad habits can be coached out. You can't coach brute strength and explosiveness. He also won't be starting from scratch like a lot of the projects the Hawks have had. Plus, guard may be his best position so he's a bit of an unknown there. (Carpenter)

The Hawks obviously are tired of seeing DL running through the OL like butter. In this division the Hawks needed to seriously improve their front in a hurry or risk falling behind. LG IMO is going to be fun to watch this year. Britt needs to step up quickly or he'll be working for Cleveland soon.
I must agree with Seafan here. Strength and Power are not settled by reps of the bench press. There's no power in a punch without a strong base.

I can't imagine JS/PC would invest a 3rd round pick in a player that they are pessimistic will be able to overcome injury history. Not gonna lie and pretend that doesn't at least somewhat concern me. I can't imagine, either, that a player that "gets rag dolled by d-lineman" would make it through all the quality control layers of the Hawks to get drafted.

I will be interested to read re-assessments of Odhiambo. While this assessment http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ ... id=2555142 isn't the most stellar, I can see why he was a "Seahawky" prospect they would value probably higher than others. This pick didn't surprise me and his name was one of 20 I wrote down while watching the 3rd round. (Vannett was also in that list of 20.) Prosise was a mild, but pleasant surprise. There was a time I was drafting him every time I played those fun online mock drafts.

xgeoff

Reaction score
I really wish we would have taken Joe Dahl with this pick. He's been a stalwart on the Cougs line and looked good in the Senior Bowl. He went to the Lions so we'll have to see if he starts for them. God knows they need help on the line.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This player to me seemed to be a huge reach at pick # 97. There were not that many solid OG candidates in the draft thou.

I know the FO has faith in Coach Cable but after theReed trade up this particular selection seemed to be a need Ipick made early b/c the team had no pick after #97 until # 172.

I get the team wanted to pick this player but had they kept the 4th pick traded away I suspect Odhiambo would have been taken then.

The injury history is really concerning.

I am only observing my thoughts here and do not presume to think I know more about these players than our FO. I hope he turns out to be a good solid OG.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
TEF or SPARQ in this case needs to be taken with a grain of salt. He was clearly recovering from an injury when he did the physical tests.

In fact, after watching him for a bit, my first impression was "he looks like a great lateral-agility athlete." I thought he moved very, very smoothly and despite lack of length, he moved like a high end Tackle prospect, IMO.

I'm curious as to him at Guard though. I don't think I truly understand this move, from this angle. Clearly they know way, way more than I do, but still, my first impression was "very intriguing tackle...not sure I get it at Guard."

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I recognize that his physical movement/explosiveness measurements may have been significantly prejudiced by his ankle injury, However his other SPARQ scores are not special either. As earlier observed he appears to be an outlier relative to other OLine men the team has recently shown interest in. Almost all the analysts had him valued approximately 3 rounds later in the draft but that may have been principally b/c of his injury history

He clearly has good lateral movement with good feet, and is reputedly strong, although his bench press numbers don't indicate as much. I thought he looked like a backup or depth player at OT when watching him. The injury history is fairly extensive and indicates an inability to stay healthy however the past is no indicator of the present in that regard as Okung never missed a game in college to injury but was unavailable for approximately 24% of his time here.

Of all the picks this one to me seems the most suspect in terms of an early ability to contribute at a 3rd rd. level..

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Well, his athletic numbers are low because he was injured! (what I have seen and heard multiple times).

Multiple college injuries are a red flag too. Just saying.

kearly

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":1zbm1x1g said:
I can't imagine JS/PC would invest a 3rd round pick in a player that they are pessimistic will be able to overcome injury history. Not gonna lie and pretend that doesn't at least somewhat concern me. I can't imagine, either, that a player that "gets rag dolled by d-lineman" would make it through all the quality control layers of the Hawks to get drafted.

I agree about the injury history, but disagree about the 2nd part. Plenty of guys Seattle has drafted had bad tape. Justin Britt got his ass kicked by physical lineman in college. Poole wasn't a pretty sight either. Nowak looked worse than Lewis in the preseason, then took his job. Cable said last year's line was his best. Prior to the switch to spread, it was his worst.

The coaches have confidence they can fix these guys and I respect them for that. Yet for as much as I trust PCJS, I struggle to trust Cable at this juncture. He's had too many wtf decisions, statements, evals for me to take his decisions on blind faith. I hope he makes this pick work, but based on what I have seen so far, I have my doubts. As always, I will change my mind as soon as I see evidence to the contrary.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
kearly":1akv6e82 said:
TeamoftheCentury":1akv6e82 said:

I agree about the injury history, but disagree about the 2nd part. Plenty of guys Seattle has drafted had bad tape. Justin Britt got his ass kicked by physical lineman in college. Poole wasn't a pretty sight either. Nowak looked worse than Lewis in the preseason, then took his job. Cable said last year's line was his best. Prior to the switch to spread, it was his worst.

The coaches have confidence they can fix these guys and I respect them for that. Yet for as much as I trust PCJS, I struggle to trust Cable at this juncture. He's had too many wtf decisions, statements, evals for me to take his decisions on blind faith. I hope he makes this pick work, but based on what I have seen so far, I have my doubts. As always, I will change my mind as soon as I see evidence to the contrary.

Ok, gotcha.

Cable said Ifedi and Odhiambo were the two strongest guys he put his hands on this year. Has that always been the trait they're looking for or was it more athleticism? Haven't they been looking for SPARQ'd up athletes before and perhaps this year is a slightly new approach to identifying the more NFL ready lineman? Did you hear the comments by PC how they struggled to find guys who were coached like they'll need to play in the NFL?

Maybe their approach with that being the case is to find the physicality and coach it up? Nothing's a guarantee, my man. Even the "can't miss" Tony Mandarich prospects can bite a team in the bum. There's always questions.

I maintain that the mental aspect of the game and identifying prospects who have that capacity is underrated. So, it's not just strength. It's not just college film. It's not just what's in their head and heart. It was interesting to hear JS share in a post draft presser how they evaluated into the Spring. So, their college body of work isn't at all where their evaluations stop. Still, tape, even seemingly bad tape can indicate a lot. Cable made some comment about how Ifedi responded in game when things aren't going well. They must see a similar trait in Odhiambo.

Grit has got to be the #1 quality they are looking for and I think that's an encompassing sort of thing. I think it's said to be something they're looking for in every guy they acquire. They are looking for special qualities and that's the treasure to be found. Grit.