Seahawks Re-draft

xgeoff

Reaction score
So, knowing where everyone went in the draft, with hindsight how would you have drafted for the Seahawks (assume all trades happened).

Here is mine:

Rd 1, pick 31, T Jason Spriggs
Rd 2, pick 18, DE Jonathan Bullard
Rd 3, pick 27, RB CJ Prosise
Rd 3, pick 32, TE Nick Vannett
Rd 3, pick 35, T/G Joe Dahl
Rd 5, pick 8, G Christian Westerman
Rd 5, pick 34, LB Travis Feeney
Rd 6, pick 40, C Kyle Friend
Rd 7, pick 22, WR Jaydon Mickens
Rd 7, pick 26, WR Devon Cajuste

kearly

Reaction score
Fun idea. I'm going to cheat a bit, by swapping the trade up in round 2 for a similar trade up in round 3. Obviously this draft benefits from hindsight.

Rd 1, pick 31, DE Emmanuel Ogbah*
Rd 2, pick 56, G/C Cody Whitehair
Rd 3, pick 79, T Le'Raven Clark
Rd 3, pick 94, TE Nick Vannett**
Rd 3, pick 97, RB/KR Tyler Ervin
Rd 5, pick 147, DT Quinton Jefferson***
Rd 5, pick 171, WR Mike Thomas
Rd 6, pick 215, LB Travis Feeney
Rd 7, pick 243, QB Vernon Adams
Rd 7, pick 247, QB Trevone Boykin

*If the coaching staff believed that scheme fit would be an issue for Ogbah, I'd go with Germain Ifedi instead.

**I'd like to get Vannett a little later than this, but for the sake of realism I'll keep him at #94.

***Jefferson wasn't on my radar before the draft but I like this pick and will keep it.

OP
OP
xgeoff

xgeoff

Reaction score
kearly":1m5hpfi8 said:
***Jefferson wasn't on my radar before the draft but I like this pick and will keep it.

I do find this pick intriguing as well. It sounds like he *might* be the sort of hybrid 3/5 technique similar to Michael Bennett, which I really like. Interesting guy who is married with 3 kids! I think the FO liked that he is a man with a family and isn't going to bullshit around like some younger guys might. He's a man with a family to feed :)

Seems like they had a focus on character and maturity in a big way for this draft.

Erebus

Reaction score
xgeoff":1azcprim said:
So, knowing where everyone went in the draft, with hindsight how would you have drafted for the Seahawks (assume all trades happened).

Here is mine:

Rd 1, pick 12, T Jason Spriggs
Rd 2, pick 18, DE Jonathan Bullard
Rd 3, pick 27, RB CJ Prosise
Rd 3, pick 32, TE Nick Vannett
Rd 3, pick 35, T/G Joe Dahl
Rd 5, pick 8, G Christian Westerman
Rd 5, pick 34, LB Travis Feeney
Rd 6, pick 40, C Kyle Friend
Rd 7, pick 22, WR Jaydon Mickens
Rd 7, pick 26, WR Devon Cajuste

Is that a typo or do you think we should've traded up to #12 in the first round?

OP
OP
xgeoff

xgeoff

Reaction score
typo :) Going back to fix it...

Erebus

Reaction score
I'm going to cheat like kearly. If we're playing hindsight, I'm not trading up in the 2nd and I'm keeping the 4th rounder.

Rd 1, pick 31, DE Noah Spence
Rd 2, pick 56, OT Shon Coleman
Rd 3, pick 90, DT Andrew Billings
Rd 3, pick 94, TE Nick Vannett
Rd 3, pick 97, RB Tyler Ervin
Rd 4, pick 124, G Connor McGovern
Rd 5, pick 147, DT Quinton Jefferson
Rd 5, pick 171, LB Travis Feeney
Rd 6, pick 215, C Joey Hunt
Rd 7, pick 243, QB Vernon Adams
Rd 7, pick 247, WR Devon Cajuste

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
What was wrong with Ifedi and Reed? You guys are nuts

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
CPHawk":2k180ess said:
ImTheScientist":2k180ess said:
I like the Hawks draft better than anything listed

+1

+2

Drafting Boykins when hes already signed as udfa.

Drafting Adams when the team didnt even think enough of him to sign him as a UDFA.

Talk about wasted picks.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Ifedi was the best pick possible, as was Reed. Prosise is the most exciting prospect of this entire draft for me so I would keep him as well. Vannett will fill a valuable role and Odhiambo might just be the guy to save us from Britt at LG. Jefferson was probably the best pass rushing DT left at that point. Collins was a guy who could've just as easily gone in the third. We finally draft a center who can actually play the position well with Hunt. Lawler is a fourth round receiver who we managed to get in the 7th. The only pick I don't really agree with is Brooks. I'd have picked up Scooby there.

There is a reason we are the only team with an A overall on NFL.com quick snap draft grades. This was a damn good draft.

Erebus

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with Ifedi and Reed. However, I don't think the dropoff from them to Coleman and Billings is very big, so I would take the lesser players for the chance to add Spence. I included Adams because I like him that much and by the time he got back to the Seahawks invitation, the roster was already full, from what I understand. And Seahawks fans of all people should know not to judge a draft by its immediate post-draft grades.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Erebus":1o8x4ksu said:
There is nothing wrong with Ifedi and Reed. However, I don't think the dropoff from them to Coleman and Billings is very big, so I would take the lesser players for the chance to add Spence. I included Adams because I like him that much and by the time he got back to the Seahawks invitation, the roster was already full, from what I understand. And Seahawks fans of all people should know not to judge a draft by its immediate post-draft grades.

Billings.... Still? That dude was hyped here but clearly you all saw what the NFL thought of him. Same with Coleman.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Also, in Kearlys draft, stating hindsight he drafts Whitehair with #56 but I doubt he still gets past Chicago at 49.

The only thing that Id redo in this draft is what Jerry Jones would re-do in this draft.

Seahawks gets Dallass 2nd and 3rd rounders.

Hopefully, still get Ifedi.

Still trade up for Reed with Chicago.

But you can probably trade that high 3rd rounder down a couple of times into a late third rounder to add a fourth back into the mix where I think they were targeting Odhiambo and probably a 5th to get Jefferson.

Seahawks would then still get Prosise and Vannett but still have that extra 3rd rounder to use on whomever.

However, the biggest issue in re-inventing the draft is if Dallas gets #26, what dies Broncos do at #31... Reed and Ifedi seem like good fits for what they do. It could change the whole complexity of our draft and I love our draft.

OP
OP
xgeoff

xgeoff

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":2lzml5u5 said:

Well, in my opinion Ifedi's size and athleticism does not translate into his play. He looks grabby and awkward in run blocking and gives up too much ground and loses his balance in pass protection.

Reed is great as a run stopper but is not known to help with pass rushing. I would rather have taken someone who is not only stout against the run but also has pass rushing skills.

But hey, we'll see. I'm going to root like hell for these guys and hope they crush everything in their path.

DJrmb

Reaction score
People (myself included) fell way too much in love with Billings' weightlifting prowess and projected that onto the field as an ability to pass rush. The truth is that Billings has very little ability or potential to rush the passer which is why he fell so far in the draft. Mayock said on NFL Network on the 2nd day of the draft that he called a few front offices about Billings and they all said the same thing, "He has no pass rush potential and is only a 2 down DT".

Reed is better against the run (considered by most the best in the draft) and Seattle's FO believes he has some untapped pass rush potential. Even if he doesn't have the pass rush potential, he's still a better pick than Billings at an area of need for this team with Mebane gone.

Erebus

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2cwdxujk said:
Erebus":2cwdxujk said:

Billings.... Still? That dude was hyped here but clearly you all saw what the NFL thought of him. Same with Coleman.

Yes, he dropped because of a lack of pass rush. But I see the same thing with Reed. I think our biggest problem on defense is pass rush (not that it's bad, but can certainly be improved). Neither Reed nor Billings will improve that. Adding Spence would, and he could be an eventual replacement for the aging Avril.

I think Coleman dropped purely due to his age.

Besides, it's just a fun hypothetical. I'm happy with our draft and excited about both Ifedi and Reed. But it wouldn't create much of a discussion if I just decided to redraft with everyone we took.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
xgeoff":dqfu9gz8 said:
WilsonMVP":dqfu9gz8 said:

Well, in my opinion Ifedi's size and athleticism does not translate into his play. He looks grabby and awkward in run blocking and gives up too much ground and loses his balance in pass protection.

Reed is great as a run stopper but is not known to help with pass rushing. I would rather have taken someone who is not only stout against the run but also has pass rushing skills.

But hey, we'll see. I'm going to root like hell for these guys and hope they crush everything in their path.

At the same time Cable has stated that pretty much all College linemen have to be retrained.

Ifedi was really one of the only guys that had the length and athleticism to play OT and the size and strength to play OG in this system.

Cable and others saw the potential of what Ifedi could be molded into, they knew any linemen they took would have a learning curve adjusting to the pro game. Seahawks arguably took the best prospect at O-Line in terms elite length, athleticism, and size... The fact that hes highly coachable, smart, a hard worker, and plays with physicality will only help him progress quicker rather than later.

You better believe Cable will be on Ifedi's ass everyday too. Compared to past prospects, Ifedi does not seem to have a lazy attitude or the poor work ethics of Carp and Moffitt.

Also, Ifedi as a 21 year old looks much more physical imposing than Britt with lighter feet and more lower body and core strength than Britt right now after two years in the NFL.

Nor is Ifedi a complete project like Sweezy, a guy with 0 experience and one who added 20-30 pounds of weight in his time here to get around 320. Who knows how much explosion was lost? Ifedi is very explosive in his own right already at 325. If anything he'll continue to add explosion rather than lose it, as his body gets stronger as he continues to max at his athletic potential. I think most players max out thier athletic potential between ages 24-27 then they tend to enter thier prime.

Ifedi has 37 starts in the SEC as well as getting to practice and spar against Myles Garrett on a daily basis... the guy has ample experience against quality players.

For me I think all things considering this is a guy who I think can develop and progress towards league average performance throughout his first season whether or not he starts. Starting only means he gets thier faster.

Once he gets that year under his belt getting NFL coaching and NFL strength and conditioning, has a whole year to turn bad habits into good habits and sharpen his technique.

A year and half from now, mid-way through Ifedi's 2nd season, he could have all the tools to dominant and anchor whatever position they want him at and become one of the most physically imposing O-Linemen in the game at 6'5, 325 with an 84.75 inch Wing Span.

As a 23 year old who would have only to begun to max out his strength and athleticism his body has to offer.

3 years from now having developed a better skillset and consistently strong technique, at his full athletic potential, Ifedi could be one of the best RG or RT in the game. I think that is his ceiling.

The only thing that limits Ifedi is fundamentals and technique, he has everything else needed to be a top O-linemen in this league.

That is why Ifedi was the pick.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2khz056f said:
CPHawk":2khz056f said:
ImTheScientist":2khz056f said:
I like the Hawks draft better than anything listed

+1

+2

Drafting Boykins when hes already signed as udfa.

Drafting Adams when the team didnt even think enough of him to sign him as a UDFA.

Talk about wasted picks.

This is what I don't understand. Knowing what I know now, I know they can be signed after the draft.