The way too early Seahawks 2017 mock draft

cover-2

Reaction score
I'm kind of bored so I put together a Seahawks 2017 mock draft. All the players below are draft eligible. Don't hold me to which rounds I have them slotted, its way too early to have an accurate projection.

1st round #32: (LB) Reuben Foster 6-1 240 lbs., Alabama - It looks like the 2017 draft is going to be a good year to draft a LB, and Foster should be one of the top LB's in the draft. Foster has size and hits like a freight train. He is not an elite level athlete like a few other LB's in next years draft, but he is more athletic than his former teammate Reggie Ragland. Foster has very good instincts and is good in coverage. Dude is a tone setter on the defense!

[youtube]r-lx0hVrVM0[/youtube]

2nd round: (DE) Lorenzo Carter 6-6 242 lbs., Georgia - With us missing out on the top DE's in the 1st round, I have the Seahawks taking an unproven, raw, high upside DE in Lorenzo Carter. Carter was a 5-star recruit coming out of high school and played well his freshman year. Last year he didn't see the field much, but I could see him entering the 2017 draft if he puts up big stats next year.
[youtube]RIqwNWsCbzE[/youtube]

3rd round: (WR) John Ross 5-11 196 lbs., Washington - Ross has elite speed and could be Baldwin's replacement in the slot if the Seahawks don't plan on re-signing him.
[youtube]CQxHGaUdkD0[/youtube]

4th round: (WR) Mack Hollins 6-4 210 lbs., North Carolina - Every year I mock a big WR to the Seahawks and every year the Seahawks don't draft big WR. So that being said, I have the Seahawks taking a 6-4 WR that looks to have good down field speed. Hollins lead the nation last year with a 24.83 yards per reception.
[youtube]h3vKE1sMOkg[/youtube]

5th round: (DE) Daeshon Hall 6-6 260 lbs., Texas A&M - Hall is part of one of the most talented defensive lines in the country and he could be a player on the rise like Kevin Dodd had last season.
493260324-daeshon-hall-of-the-texas-a-m-aggies-is-seen-gettyimages.jpg

6th round: (OT) Ike Boetther 6-6 300 lbs., Iowa - Drafting at least one offensive lineman is a must for every draft, so here you go. In 2014 Boettger was moved from TE to OT, so he should be athletic with some upside.
Ike%20Injury.jpg

7th round: (CB) Jeremy Clark 6-4 210 lbs., Michigan - Clark is a former Safety and this will only be his second season playing CB, but he has the size and length of a Seahawks CB.
Jeremy clark ncaa football unlv michigan

CPHawk

Reaction score
Ross is a poor mans Deanthony Thomas, why would we waiste a 3rd on him? I'd be ok with him in the 5-6th round.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
CPHawk":15y8pa1s said:
Ross is a poor mans Deanthony Thomas, why would we waiste a 3rd on him? I'd be ok with him in the 5-6th round.

Ross has bulked up and is supposedly 196 lbs, which is 20 lbs bigger than the frail little D. Thomas. The 3rd round is probably his best case scenario, the Huskies would have to strictly use him as a WR. If the Huskies use Ross as a RB/WR/CB, then yeah Ross would be a late round prospect.

delagator7

Reaction score
Did we trade one of the 2017 future picks to the Patriots? Bears?

kearly

Reaction score
Nice Mock.

Seattle almost always drafts for need early, and my guess is that the top need next year will be pass rush. Other than maybe Frank Clark, we don't currently have any succession plan for Bennett / Avril, who are both in their thirties.

kearly

Reaction score
CPHawk":1ilhxeqy said:

I would be surprised if Seattle took a WR in round 3. I think Seattle's WR group is loaded for years to come.

That said, I'm not seeing a Deanthony Thomas comp for Ross. Ross is an inch taller and 20 pounds heavier and is a WR. DAT was a RB who didn't project to the NFL and was drafted purely as a returner.

I think the closest comp for John Ross is Marqise Lee in terms of his size / weight / abilities. But for various reasons, Ross has never gotten anywhere close to the workload that Lee did at USC. That might change this year as UW seems to have a good QB and the competition for targets isn't as strong as it was in 2013 or 2014. If Ross has a 1000 yards this year I could see him going in the 3rd round. But more likely, he'll be a late round bargain for some team.

cheese22

Reaction score
I love watching Ryan Switzer of UNC. He has some Tyler Lockett to him, not as good of a receiver but very comparable as returners. I think he'd be an ideal slot receiver with his quickness and ability after the catch. Plus he could take over return duties to protect TL from possible injuries. I can't help but hope this guy has a future somewhere.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
kearly":2903w4qi said:
Nice Mock.

Seattle almost always drafts for need early, and my guess is that the top need next year will be pass rush. Other than maybe Frank Clark, we don't currently have any succession plan for Bennett / Avril, who are both in their thirties.

Missouri DE Charles Harris is a guy I really like that may be available late in the 1st round. Harris at 6-3 255 lbs doesn't have great size or length, but he has good initial quickness and a great spin move. He was highly productive last year with his 7 sacks and 18.5 tackles for loss. Harris is a confident player and his personality would fit in right with our big personalities on defense.

Here is some highlighs of Harris...
[youtube]MztUQFjXLLU[/youtube]

CPHawk

Reaction score
I'd like to see us get Christian McCaffery. I think he'll end up being a very good player in the NFL.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
As a Husky fan seeing Foster and Hall on there makes me sad and makes me think about what should have been

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
CPHawk":3gp63z6a said:
I'd like to see us get Christian McCaffery. I think he'll end up being a very good player in the NFL.

I somewhat agree in that McCaffery will be a good player in the NFL. For me McCaffery is comparable to Reggie Bush, they are similar in size and how they were used in college. I wouldn't burn a 1st round pick on a Reggie Bush type player, but he could easily be a productive role player in the NFL. I think C.J. Prosise has the potential to be a better Pro than McCaffery. Prosise is 20 lbs bigger than McCaffery, with just as much quickness and speed. Yes, McCaffery is fun to watch, as was Reggie Bush, but for me I wouldn't take him in the 1st round. I would possibly take him in the 2nd round if he showed the skill set to be a slot receiver.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Any Centers on your radar?

Im sure they aren't settled at the position. Next year I think it'll be a top 3 round pick.

CPHawk

Reaction score
cover-2":3baucxvq said:
CPHawk":3baucxvq said:

I somewhat agree in that McCaffery will be a good player in the NFL. For me McCaffery is comparable to Reggie Bush, they are similar in size and how they were used in college. I wouldn't burn a 1st round pick on a Reggie Bush type player, but he could easily be a productive role player in the NFL. I think C.J. Prosise has the potential to be a better Pro than McCaffery. Prosise is 20 lbs bigger than McCaffery, with just as much quickness and speed. Yes, McCaffery is fun to watch, as was Reggie Bush, but for me I wouldn't take him in the 1st round. I would possibly take him in the 2nd round if he showed the skill set to be a slot receiver.

Yeah he isn't a full time RB in the NFL, but with the right system he could be a steal. New England would use him perfectly, but I also believe Pete and Bevell could figure out how to use him as well.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":16nw6wh8 said:

Im sure they aren't settled at the position. Next year I think it'll be a top 3 round pick.

A guy that caught my eye last year was Oklahoma offensive lineman Jonathan Alvarez. Last year he started at LG, and this year he will be Oklahoma's starting center this year. Alvarez is 6-3 315 lbs., which IMO, is the ideal size for a OC. He doesn't have any hype around him right now, but is worth monitoring if you want a OC in the 2017 draft.

kearly

Reaction score
cover-2":1juhq0tz said:
CPHawk":1juhq0tz said:

McCaffrey is honestly, I think far more impressive than Reggie Bush was. McCaffrey, as a true sophomore in his first year of full time play, SHATTERED Barry Sanders all purpose yards record. Sanders record was at 3,250 yards, which is an amazing number. Sanders wasn't playing just yesterday- there have been a lot of great players who didn't break that record. But McCaffrey did, and his new record is at 3,864 yards. He didn't just beat a very tough record, he destroyed it.

And while Bush and McCaffrey are the same size, McCaffrey seems very natural as a bell-cow back whereas Bush always felt like a 3rd down back type. Bush was a speedster who made big plays as a supplemental player in a loaded offense, whereas McCaffrey is a very tough, fearless runner who was the only real difference maker in what was otherwise a fairly lethargic Stanford O.

The other thing is that I think the NFL is much better set up today for a player like McCaffrey than it was for Bush. The Saints tried to make Bush into a prototypical RB rather than use him the way Bush was used at USC. It wasn't until Bush got to Detroit many years into his career that a team finally used him to his skillset. With McCaffrey, I think he can handle being a workhorse and even if he ends up being Dion Lewis plus, there will be teams that can make him a very good player in the NFL.

Another thing too is that for all of Bush's speed, he wasn't all that great as a kick returner. McCaffrey is an elite kick returner on top of his running and receiving skills, so that's another value advantage he will have over Bush.

I always thought it was crazy that Bush went 2nd overall. He was more deserving of a late 1st, IMO. McCaffrey though, I think he could go very early, but might slip into the middle of the 1st based based on pigment bias. White WR / RB rarely go in round 1, and that will linger in GMs minds whether it should or not.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
kearly":ry4kk5l8 said:
cover-2":ry4kk5l8 said:
CPHawk":ry4kk5l8 said:

McCaffrey is honestly, I think far more impressive than Reggie Bush was. McCaffrey, as a true sophomore in his first year of full time play, SHATTERED Barry Sanders all purpose yards record. Sanders record was at 3,250 yards, which is an amazing number. Sanders wasn't playing just yesterday- there have been a lot of great players who didn't break that record. But McCaffrey did, and his new record is at 3,864 yards. He didn't just beat a very tough record, he destroyed it.

And while Bush and McCaffrey are the same size, McCaffrey seems very natural as a bell-cow back whereas Bush always felt like a 3rd down back type. Bush was a speedster who made big plays as a supplemental player in a loaded offense, whereas McCaffrey is a very tough, fearless runner who was the only real difference maker in what was otherwise a fairly lethargic Stanford O.

The other thing is that I think the NFL is much better set up today for a player like McCaffrey than it was for Bush. The Saints tried to make Bush into a prototypical RB rather than use him the way Bush was used at USC. It wasn't until Bush got to Detroit many years into his career that a team finally used him to his skillset. With McCaffrey, I think he can handle being a workhorse and even if he ends up being Dion Lewis plus, there will be teams that can make him a very good player in the NFL.

Another thing too is that for all of Bush's speed, he wasn't all that great as a kick returner. McCaffrey is an elite kick returner on top of his running and receiving skills, so that's another value advantage he will have over Bush.

I always thought it was crazy that Bush went 2nd overall. He was more deserving of a late 1st, IMO. McCaffrey though, I think he could go very early, but might slip into the middle of the 1st based based on pigment bias. White WR / RB rarely go in round 1, and that will linger in GMs minds whether it should or not.

You make some good points. McCaffrey does run with some toughness that Bush didn't have, but McCaffrey just doesn't have the size to run over defenders. For me, him being white doesn't factor in my mind, for me its him only being 200 lbs. I just don't trust that a 200 lbs RB can be the 20 + carry workhorse. I know he did it in college, and there are a couple of lightweight starting RB's currently in the NFL. I think he could excel on a team that uses a lot of 3 and 4 WR sets that also have a zone blocking scheme.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
cover-2":2ng7n29v said:
Recon_Hawk":2ng7n29v said:

A guy that caught my eye last year was Oklahoma offensive lineman Jonathan Alvarez. Last year he started at LG, and this year he will be Oklahoma's starting center this year. Alvarez is 6-3 315 lbs., which IMO, is the ideal size for a OC. He doesn't have any hype around him right now, but is worth monitoring if you want a OC in the 2017 draft.

Nice. I'll make sure to catch some OU games next season.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
I would be stoked if we got Cooper Kupp in rounds 2-4. He is one of the best all around WR's I have ever seen. The only thing that will probably keep him out of the first round would be his 40 time and the fact he plays for Eastern Washington.

[youtube]CuyJjtMpcJs[/youtube]

JSeahawks

Reaction score
storm74":28w7npxz said:
I would be stoked if we got Cooper Kupp in rounds 2-4. He is one of the best all around WR's I have ever seen. The only thing that will probably keep him out of the first round would be his 40 time and the fact he plays for Eastern Washington.

[youtube]CuyJjtMpcJs[/youtube]

Dude was like Steve Largent vs the strike scab players in that game. Dominated.