Baylor fires head coach, Art Briles

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Good for them. From everything I've read their program is out of control and he's been part of covering up rapes, sexual assaults and other violent crimes. There should be some police commissioners fired as well for sweeping things under the rug.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
FWIW, Jason Whitlock on "the Heard" right now.

Has a great point of view on this.

Edit: if you have interest in this story, and miss Witlock's take on it, I recommend looking for a pod cast of the segment.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1wax3uu7 said:
Good for them. From everything I've read their program is out of control and he's been part of covering up rapes, sexual assaults and other violent crimes. There should be some police commissioners fired as well for sweeping things under the rug.

That's the rumor.
I'm not convinced that Briles has done anything wrong.
He obviously has a measure of responsibility but we don't know yet, that he didn't live up to it.
I don't know all the facts yet but I'm leaning towards him being a whipping boy/ scapegoat at this point.

Guess we will know more in the time that follows.

kearly

Reaction score
Kenneth Starr was also demoted as part of this. He had been the University President. Yes, the very same Kenneth Starr who went after Bill Clinton for being a lecher. It seems the universe has a sense of humor.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
pmedic920":fj29ydva said:
JSeahawks":fj29ydva said:

That's the rumor.
He obviously has a measure of responsibility but we don't know yet, that he didn't live up to it.
I don't know all the facts yet but I'm leaning towards him being a whipping boy/ scapegoat at this point.

This is directly from the Baylor Report.

In certain instances, including reports of a sexual assault by multiple football players, athletics and football personnel affirmatively chose not to report sexual violence and dating violence to an appropriate administrator outside of athletics. In those instances, football coaches or staff met directly with a complainant and/or a parent of a complainant and did not report the misconduct.

Football staff conducted their own untrained internal inquiries, outside of policy, which improperly discredited complainants and denied them the right to a fair, impartial and informed investigation, interim measures or processes promised under University policy.

kobebryant

Reaction score
kearly":2wwxpnt7 said:
Kenneth Starr was also demoted as part of this. He had been the University President. Yes, the very same Kenneth Starr who went after Bill Clinton for being a lecher. It seems the universe has a sense of humor.

haha, Kenneth Starr. Against anti consensual oral sex, but oversees the mishandling of several sexual assault incidents.

kobebryant

Reaction score
pmedic920":1pdrg4gv said:
JSeahawks":1pdrg4gv said:

That's the rumor.

Ultimately, transgressions come back to the responsibility of the head man, regardless of what he knew.

JoePa, Pete, Tressell, Chip - varying degrees of seriousness of allegations obviously. But it is the bosses job to know everything that is going on with his program; even if Pete,Tressell and Chip's programs merely violated stupid amateurism rules.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
First Dave Bliss, now Briles. Baylor sure goes after the really quality humanitarians for their coaching positions

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Just reading some Baylor message boards and a lot of them think they'll go with an interim coach this year and then make a play for mike leach. Todd graham and mike singletary (apparently he's an alum) are also mentioned quite a bit.

zifnab32

Reaction score
pmedic920":1flhl3qk said:
JSeahawks":1flhl3qk said:

That's the rumor.

Washington Post":1flhl3qk said:
Football coaches and staff “conducted their own untrained internal inquiries, outside of policy, which improperly discredited complainants and denied them the right to a fair, impartial and informed investigation

In some cases, including reports of a sexual assault by multiple football players, athletic department and football officials knowingly did not report sexual violence to an administrator outside the department.

Football coaches or staff members “met directly with a complainant and/or a parent of a complainant and did not report the misconduct. As a result, no action was taken to support complainants, fairly and impartially evaluate the conduct under Title IX, address identified cultural concerns within the football program, or protect campus safety

Football coaches and staff took affirmative steps to maintain internal control over discipline of players and to actively divert cases from the student conduct or criminal processes

Baylor did not follow prescribed protocol for accepting transfer students, such as background checks, in adding players to the program. One of those players, defensive end Sam Ukwuachu, was sentenced this fall to 180 days in jail and 10 years’ probation he was convicted of sexually assaulting a former Baylor soccer player in 2013

Either Briles is as dirty as a sailor's mouth or amazingly incompetent in controlling his program.

two dog

Reaction score
Briles may be dirty and/or incompetent but he will re-surface sooner than later.

The money making business of football, college or pro, loves guys that they
think will make them winners. Whatever his other shortcomings Briles can
put a good team on the field.

His recruiting may take a temporary hit but the thing that got him fired will be
forgotten, unfortunately, the first time he posts 9 wins at his new school.

CPHawk

Reaction score
If Leach can get another shot, so will Briles.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
CPHawk":36aqqy54 said:

WTF did Leach do other than puttig baby in the closet? Not that I can really complain about that because Craig James crying about his daughter being mistreated brought Leach to the Cougs.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Leach really didn't do anything wrong. That's a lazy comparison.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
CPHawk":zhy585n7 said:

Meh .. Leach was just ran out by boosters and Craig James. Much different than willfully overlooking sexual assault and the like.

Doesn't help Briles that he's 60 years old either.

mrt144

Reaction score
I hope Baylor burns. What a bunch of self interested immoral shitbags.