PAC12 meeting with U. Of Houston about expansion

CPHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3m9ggy0s said:
Would be a great move for the pac12 in my opinion. Brings in a large tv market and gives us access to the fertile recruiting fields of Texas,

I'd like to see us get Houston, and then pry Oklahoma away from the big 12.

http://m.chron.com/sports/cougars/artic ... er-desktop

Get Texas and OSU with it, and call it a day. Plus you'd all but sink the big 12.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
The traditionalist in me cringes, and I don't like the idea of diluting the conference. But, if this is a way to expand revenue for the schools, then that's fine. There is a part of me that always enjoys this smaller conference powerhouses joining big conferences because of the rude awakening they inevitably get.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3ee05q4n said:
Would be a great move for the pac12 in my opinion. Brings in a large tv market and gives us access to the fertile recruiting fields of Texas,

So the beginning of the BIG 4 Superconferences is a reality. Color me bored and unsurprised. Basically if the PAC12 had any brains they skip Houston and go for the real money..... which is Texas, Baylor and Kansas. UCLA and Washington want nothing of the latter though and for multiple reasons both athletic and not. Especially the latter given it's not acceptable to understand you suck at basketball compared to Kansas. And are fully matched in the medical field by that same university, and sometimes not even in their league concerning certain medical fields and focuses.

CPHawk isn't that offbase by the way.

drrew

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2slurm53 said:
UCLA and Washington want nothing of the latter though and for multiple reasons both athletic and not. Especially the latter given it's not acceptable to understand you suck at basketball compared to Kansas. And are fully matched in the medical field by that same university, and sometimes not even in their league concerning certain medical fields and focuses.

First, UW with Ana Mari and Jen Cohen both in the infancy of their respective positions are not calling any shots in the Pac 12 right now.

Second, yes, UW all of the sudden cares passionately about basketball to the point that they are scared of Kansas exposing their mediocrity, as if the 5 years w/o a tournament birth and didn't already indicate that maybe it's not a priority. People in Missouri upset about losing the Porter family?

Lastly, and this just silly because this is a college football board, but I had to respond because it was so absurd. UW is #1 in Primary Care and #8 in Research for Med School rankings. Kansas is #40 and #69. Kansas may turn out fine physicians, but they're on par with Wayne State University and the University of Rochester. The UW does many things very very poorly, but the Medical School is world class.

chris98251

Reaction score
Mark Emmert is the former president of the UW, now President of the NCAA and Alumi of the UW, Scooby Doo could be calling the shots at the UW and he would still have clout.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
The Big 12 has officially opened expansion talks again, and Houston is one of the schools that has expressed interest.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't mind expansion, but I'd like to see them aim higher than Utah, Colorado, and Houston. Those are solid gets, but they don't raise the profile of the conference the way that Texas, Baylor, or the Oklahoma Schools would.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1q3bypkx said:
JSeahawks":1q3bypkx said:

So the beginning of the BIG 4 Superconferences is a reality. Color me bored and unsurprised. Basically if the PAC12 had any brains they skip Houston and go for the real money..... which is Texas, Baylor and Kansas.

With all their issues I expect Baylor to go back to being a doormat for many years.

Kansas really only has bball to offer.

If the Big 12 breaks up, you should consider TCU. Good football and baseball.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
DTexHawk":3nsvlba9 said:
MizzouHawkGal":3nsvlba9 said:
JSeahawks":3nsvlba9 said:

So the beginning of the BIG 4 Superconferences is a reality. Color me bored and unsurprised. Basically if the PAC12 had any brains they skip Houston and go for the real money..... which is Texas, Baylor and Kansas.

With all their issues I expect Baylor to go back to being a doormat for many years.

Kansas really only has bball to offer.

If the Big 12 breaks up, you should consider TCU. Good football and baseball.
The Big 12 isn't breaking up, they're expanding. Rumored targets are Houston, UCF, USF, Cincinnati, BYU, Colorado State, Memphis, and UConn.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
SeatownJay":4imq5053 said:
The Big 12 isn't breaking up, they're expanding. Rumored targets are Houston, UCF, USF, Cincinnati, BYU, Colorado State, Memphis, and UConn.

Which is why I said "if", while responding to those suggesting that instead of Houston, Pac 12 should be going after Texas, Baylor, and the OK schools. If any of those schools go, so does the Big 12.

All hypothetical on who's staying, who's going.

"IF" it stays with 5 major conferences, Big 12 needs someone big.

"IF" it goes to 4 major conferences, the Big 12 will no longer exist, IMO.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I've actually heard a few rumors that the big 12 might try and steal the Arizona schools from the PAC. I don't see it happening though. Rick neuheisel mentioned the possibility.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
DTexHawk":36shcc2v said:
SeatownJay":36shcc2v said:

Which is why I said "if", while responding to those suggesting that instead of Houston, Pac 12 should be going after Texas, Baylor, and the OK schools. If any of those schools go, so does the Big 12.

All hypothetical on who's staying, who's going.

"IF" it stays with 5 major conferences, Big 12 needs someone big.

"IF" it goes to 4 major conferences, the Big 12 will no longer exist, IMO.
True on both accounts. Either way Missouri loses out only because of probable loss of the Big 12 basketball tournament, it's a big money maker for Kansas City. Otherwise the Big 12 is all about the Texas schools since Missouri and Nebraska left.

CPHawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3vgplrbk said:
JSeahawks":3vgplrbk said:

So the beginning of the BIG 4 Superconferences is a reality. Color me bored and unsurprised. Basically if the PAC12 had any brains they skip Houston and go for the real money..... which is Texas, Baylor and Kansas. UCLA and Washington want nothing of the latter though and for multiple reasons both athletic and not. Especially the latter given it's not acceptable to understand you suck at basketball compared to Kansas. And are fully matched in the medical field by that same university, and sometimes not even in their league concerning certain medical fields and focuses.

Who said anything about adding Kansas and their craptastic football team? Since I'm an Oregon fan, I'd say Kansas is a top 5 all time basketball school, but why would my top 10 basketball team next year, want nothing to do with KU? I'd bet we would split a season series with them. As long as UO has Altman as HC, I'm not scared to add a great blueblood like KU.

Baylor is getting invited to a new conference by absolutely no one, they are toxic right now. If a big 4 happens, I wouldn't be shocked to see them land in the MWC.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
CPHawk":18dkdc3b said:
MizzouHawkGal":18dkdc3b said:
JSeahawks":18dkdc3b said:

Who said anything about adding Kansas and their craptastic football team? Since I'm an Oregon fan, I'd say Kansas is a top 5 all time basketball school, but why would my top 10 basketball team next year, want nothing to do with KU? I'd bet we would split a season series with them. As long as UO has Altman as HC, I'm not scared to add a great blueblood like KU.

Baylor is getting invited to a new conference by absolutely no one, they are toxic right now. If a big 4 happens, I wouldn't be shocked to see them land in the MWC.
Bad decision given they are 2nd behind Texas in money and of course the Pac12 wants nothing to do with Kansas concerning basketball because they don't like losing on a regular basis. Better to stick to the second tier given they are football schools. As I said target the Texas schools it would guarantee 4 superconferences like the people in charge want.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Basketball doesn't make the conference money, why would we care about adding a school with only a basketball? Yet they suck in every other sport? Do you think Cal fans will turn out to watch a Cal vs Kansas football game?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hate this. Though I guess it's a means to try to beat the Big 12 to the punch

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
It's the Big 12's fault for being stagnant and not pulling the trigger on trying to keep themselves relevant.

I loved the Big 12 in it's heyday, about a decade ago, but they are legitimately going to lose Texas, along with Baylor and Kansas, if they keep being stagnant.

Objectively, they would be idiots not to look at Houston and SMU on a very serious basis. It makes much more sense than Houston going to the Pac-12. The travel expenses alone for that expansion would be ridiculous for the universities.