Cougs "cougin" their careers away

drrew

Reaction score
Latest update has 6 listed as "persons of interest".

The description of the fight is that the victim was sucker punched and then kicked in the face while down. Jaw broken in multiple places. Another kid was knocked unconscious.

Associate AD Bill Stevens described it as "a team matter". He needs to be relieved of his job effective immediately.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Dumbasses. They will be dealt with, Pullman PD doesn't give athletes preferential treatment at all.

Why should Bill Stevens be relieved of his duties for not commenting on an ongoing investigation?

drrew

Reaction score
seahawk2k":2toefen6 said:
Why should Bill Stevens be relieved of his duties for not commenting on an ongoing investigation?

Because this isn't 'a team matter' as Stevens stated. This is a criminal investigation, the 'team' shouldn't have a damn thing to do with it.

We continue to see Athletic Departments collude to protect their players at the expense of the rest of the student body and it really needs to stop. One kid being knocked unconscious and another being kicked in the face after already going down being described as 'a team matter' is exactly the culture that leads to situations like Baylor...and Notre Dame...and Vanderbilt...and UW...and Oregon...and every school you could possibly think to name.

Stevens messed up and at the very least the AD should be releasing a statement that he misspoke.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I think a moderate amount of research would tell you that WSU doesn't coddle their players given how many of players have been kicked off for far less misconduct than this under Mike Leach. I think you might be overreacting based on four words with no context said by the associate AD. I guess that's understandable given what's happened at some programs around the country, but I think your being a little reactionary.

My guess is the conversation went like this:
The reporter asked something like, "Is there going to be any football related discipline to these players at this time?"
and he responded, "It's a team matter." WSU also does not publicly comment on player dismissals or their status when it comes to legal investigations.

Hawker

Reaction score
Beer and testosterone. Sad outcome. Feel for the senior who now has his jaw plated and wired together. Jesus.

WSU alum here and this is disgraceful. I attended many a "back yard party" there and nothing this serious ever happened.

kearly

Reaction score
A team matter? What an idiot. Has he not been paying attention? That kind of logic didn't exactly work out for Joe Paterno and Art Briles. Criminal activity is not something you can sweep under the rug or downplay.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Here's the official statement from Bill Moos.

“In regards to the events that took place over the past weekend, the university was made aware of the situation shortly after the incident occurred. It is our understanding there is a thorough investigation underway by local law enforcement and we will cooperate fully as we take these matters seriously. In addition, facts are being gathered within the athletic department in order to provide assistance. We have high expectations for the conduct of WSU student-athletes, and treat any alleged allegations with the utmost transparency. The WSU athletic staff is in constant communication with the Office of the President and the Office of Student Life to ensure that university leadership is aware of the continuing investigation by local law enforcement. We will refrain from further comment until the findings of the investigation are complete.”
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... -transfer/

DTexHawk

Reaction score
seahawk2k":2fo14g8v said:
I think a moderate amount of research would tell you that WSU doesn't coddle their players given how many of players have been kicked off for far less misconduct than this under Mike Leach. I think you might be overreacting based on four words with no context said by the associate AD. I guess that's understandable given what's happened at some programs around the country, but I think your being a little reactionary.

My guess is the conversation went like this:
The reporter asked something like, "Is there going to be any football related discipline to these players at this time?"
and he responded, "It's a team matter." WSU also does not publicly comment on player dismissals or their status when it comes to legal investigations.

Well I guess that settles it.

Latest posts