Washington Husky Football Thread

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
We are only about a week away from their opening game vs Rutgers and little to no talk about UW football on here. UW is currently ranked #14 in the pre-season AP Top 25 Poll. I think my Sports Illustrated magazine had us at #7. It's UW's highest AP ranking since they were #9 in 2002. Our defense should be one of the best in the country. I question the offense, primarily the passing game. I expect Browning to take a step forward, but I want to see how the WR corps does with Mickens and Perkins gone.

Can UW handle the hype?

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
My fault, I didn't realize there was an NCAA Football section. Thought this section only pertained to the NFL draft.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
The preseason rankings are stupid. I love the Huskies but they have to earn my respect and any rankings. They have done nothing to deserve this preseason hype train.

They sucked last year and the year before, so I don't know why the media thinks they will suddenly figure it out. Obviously I hope they do, but another 4-5 year in-conference and I again won't give a damn what their overall record is especially when it's padded with a cupcake schedule year after year since the Sark era. Willingham was a turd but at least he put together non-wussified schedules.

McGruff

Reaction score
MLOhawks":9m89j3m2 said:
The preseason rankings are stupid. I love the Huskies but they have to earn my respect and any rankings. They have done nothing to deserve this preseason hype train.

They sucked last year and the year before, so I don't know why the media thinks they will suddenly figure it out. Obviously I hope they do, but another 4-5 year in-conference and I again won't give a damn what their overall record is especially when it's padded with a cupcake schedule year after year since the Sark era. Willingham was a turd but at least he put together non-wussified schedules.

Two straight bo game appearances. Maybe I have a different idea of suck. I think they are overhyped, but suck is a pretty strong word.

It think the hype comes from 3 valid angles. They are ascending under Peterson so there is some projecting going on. They have a promising QB entering his sophomore season, and stability at that potion goes a long way nationally. And they have an elite defense.

I think that takes them away from suck and even mediocre, but I doubt they end up anywhere near elite.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
McGruff":22pyfkzz said:
MLOhawks":22pyfkzz said:

Two straight bo game appearances. Maybe I have a different idea of suck. I think they are overhyped, but suck is a pretty strong word.

It think the hype comes from 3 valid angles. They are ascending under Peterson so there is some projecting going on. They have a promising QB entering his sophomore season, and stability at that potion goes a long way nationally. And they have an elite defense.

I think that takes them away from suck and even mediocre, but I doubt they end up anywhere near elite.

They have a solid defense, they do not have an elite defense, yet. And yes, they sucked. Bowl games don't mean a damn thing if they are crap bowl games (64 or so teams go bowling FYI). Unless you are one of those people who agree with Sark's "any time you play in December it's special" idiocracy.

4-5 in conference means the bowl game is meaningless. It's like winning a participation trophy.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I predict they finish somewhere in the 15th to 20th range. With a 9-4 record (including bowl game). I predict losses vs Stanford, Oregon, USC and 1 of Utah, Arizona, Asu or Wsu.

I still think they're a year away from being a true heavyweight in the conference once again.

McGruff

Reaction score
MLOhawks":3czycnj8 said:
McGruff":3czycnj8 said:
MLOhawks":3czycnj8 said:

They have a solid defense, they do not have an elite defense, yet. And yes, they sucked. Bowl games don't mean a damn thing if they are crap bowl games (64 or so teams go bowling FYI). Unless you are one of those people who agree with Sark's "any time you play in December it's special" idiocracy.

4-5 in conference means the bowl game is meaningless. It's like winning a participation trophy.

Like I said. Different definitions. I hear suck and I think 3 to 5 win seasons, not 7 or 8. Medioce. Average. Sure. But suck means guaranteed losing seasons.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
McGruff":556f2fim said:
MLOhawks":556f2fim said:
McGruff":556f2fim said:
MLOhawks":556f2fim said:

Like I said. Different definitions. I hear suck and I think 3 to 5 win seasons, not 7 or 8. Medioce. Average. Sure. But suck means guaranteed losing seasons.

Different definitions I agree, because mediocre IS suck to me. I still have hope, but so far Peterson is just another Seven Win Sark.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I think they go 8-4. They'll lose @ Arizona (because they always lose in the state of Arizona), @ Oregon (because they always lose against Oregon), @ Utah, and vs. USC (because they always lose 1 WTF home game).

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I still think UW are a year away from competing for the PAC12. Just don't think they are better than Stanford and until they beat Oregon. Hoping for a decent bowl game and being in the top 20 this year. Anything more is awesome, anything less disappointing.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
McGruff":21ya5vnv said:

Considering that UW went 4-5 in conference play, had no impressive wins, and had to rely on 2 wins over cupcakes in their OOC schedule, it's not too far off to say they sucked. And when you consider where the program SHOULD be if the real people in charge of the University actually cared about winning football games, the term becomes even more relatively accurate.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Drunk Sark left the roster bare at numerous positions. The overall development of the players is much stronger now. Petersen is laying a foundation on which to build future team success. How that will show up on the win column this year does not matter as much to me as showing consistent improvement. This is still a very young team with time to grow. My hope is that they win 9 games in the regular season for the first time since the 2001 Rose Bowl. If they win 10, I will be ecstatic.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Game time. I got a little chunk of $$$ on UW.

BOW DOWN!