Rumors of chaos in USC football program

JSeahawks

Reaction score
According to Reddit and USC message board FightOn247 something fishy is going on behind the scenes with the USC football team. And by fishy we mean that freshman OG EJ Price may have punched coach Clay Helton in the face, precipitating a possible mass exodus of transfers from the school. Rumored to be among those considering a transfer are OL Chuma Edoga, recently demoted QB Max Browne, and WR/CB Keyshawn Pie Young. CB Adoree Jackson and WR JuJu Smith are also widely expected to declare for the NFL draft as soon as the season is over.

Apparently Clay Helton has offered to sign the transfer papers of any player who wants to leave. This is all over USC message boards, but no “legitimate” news source has run with it yet.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/con ... /2000.html

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Some of the stories cominjg out are pretty wild. Its just hard to tell whats fact and what is rumors at this point.

I actually think I understand what Clay Helton is trying to do, i just dont think its going to work out very well for him. I think he's trying to change the culture into a blue collar, lunch pail, smash mouth type mentality a'la Stanford. The problem for him is that the recruits who generally choose to go to USC like USC for the "cool LA life style" and the swag and glamour that comes with playing for USC (i know thats stereotypical, but for the most part i believe thats true).

HawkGA

Reaction score
JSeahawks":osa4ei6j said:
OL Chuma Edoga

Didn't he get ejected from a game for hitting a ref or something? I'm actually too lazy to look that up, I seem to remember something like that from Week 2.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
HawkGA":3shuf50d said:
JSeahawks":3shuf50d said:
OL Chuma Edoga

Didn't he get ejected from a game for hitting a ref or something? I'm actually too lazy to look that up, I seem to remember something like that from Week 2.

Yea, that's him. Although if you watch the video the ref was pulling him around from the belt. It was bizarre.

dogorama

Reaction score
JSeahawks":xxecutai said:
Some of the stories cominjg out are pretty wild. Its just hard to tell whats fact and what is rumors at this point.

I actually think I understand what Clay Helton is trying to do, i just dont think its going to work out very well for him. I think he's trying to change the culture into a blue collar, lunch pail, smash mouth type mentality a'la Stanford. The problem for him is that the recruits who generally choose to go to USC like USC for the "cool LA life style" and the swag and glamour that comes with playing for USC (i know thats stereotypical, but for the most part i believe thats true).

My brother went to USC and is a big supporter. Like I said in another post, USC is a private school, tuition is quadruple what both UDub and Oregon cost. It carries w/it a certain prestige, especially in LA. USC athletes are celebrities around town and if you see them they are typically looking very fashionable, usually in the latest brand athletic apparel. The outsider image of them as thug/athletes is not even close to accurate.

There will always be a couple who get into trouble, but they are the exception rather than the rule.