Way too early 2017 mock draft

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
For those who can be arsed.

LINK: http://seahawksdraftblog.com/2017-nfl-m ... th-october

This is not a good class if you want to improve your O-line in the early rounds. Notre Dame’s Mike McGlinchey says he won’t declare. He could change his mind (Will Fuller made a similar remark a year ago). Cam Robinson looks the part and is a good run blocker but carries serious character risks.

There’s a decent collection of guards but how often do you see the position drafted in round one?

This has been brewing for a while. The top High School recruits want to play defense. The colleges want the top recruits so accommodate their wishes. Some get moved to the O-line after a year or two (eg Cam Erving). The rest play defense. There’s a serious mismatch between the O-lines and D-lines in college and the dearth of talent is starting to translate to the NFL.

The top-100 lists compiled by the NFL Network usually only have 4-5 offensive linemen named. Most of the league is scrambling around to find an answer at left tackle. Teams like Seattle are taking on projects like ex-Basketball star George Fant because what’s the alternative? There isn’t one unless you’re picking in the top ten.

The league is littered with bad pass protection and the best teams are finding ways to manage the problem. Minnesota are a good example — they’re 5-0 and playing without their starting left and right tackles at the moment, yet Sam Bradford isn’t feeling the impact. You can game-plan around these issues — but the entire NFL would surely rather see more quality left tackles coming through the college ranks. The well is dry at the moment.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Good stuff. Curious why you have Kizer over Watson? I like both, but I'd put Watson first personally. Also just a note, Greg Gaines who you have listed in your "guys considered" is just a sophomore. So I dont think he'll be eligible.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":dqyrlmdn said:
Good stuff. Curious why you have Kizer over Watson? I like both, but I'd put Watson first personally. Also just a note, Greg Gaines who you have listed in your "guys considered" is just a sophomore. So I dont think he'll be eligible.

I think Gaines is a redshirt sophomore so could theoretically declare.

I've fought Kizer over Watson and I think on the field resume Watson wins -- but Kizer has a lot of potential and his character is positively Wilson-esque. Plus it'd be stubborn of me to ignore all of the noise about the league loving Kizer. Although I wrote a post recently noting all of the bad errors he made vs Duke. IMO Kizer shouldn't declare.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Six safeties in round 1? That feels like it would be a record. And 2 in the top 7?

cover-2

Reaction score
TE Evan Engram is an interesting pick for us. He has incredible ball skills. Engram along with Graham would be the best sure handed receiving TE combo in the NFL.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
I would LOVE to get Leonard Fournette if he dropped. RB dont seem to get drafted very high these days, apart from a select few. Unfor I think he will get picked up in the top 10 since he seems to be an Adrian Peterson type prospect

Truther

Reaction score
I think Dalvin Cook could be taken in the 20's and I actually think he might turn out better than the Fournette.