Alabama

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":1wuce4ie said:
Yea, if the Huskies win out they have to face that crap... so my heart won't be utterly broken if they drop a game in the Pac 12 and have to settle for the Rose Bowl.

Seriously?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":3f1568vf said:
JSeahawks":3f1568vf said:
The_Z_Man":3f1568vf said:
Yea, if the Huskies win out they have to face that crap... so my heart won't be utterly broken if they drop a game in the Pac 12 and have to settle for the Rose Bowl.

Seriously?

If I felt the Huskies were the best team in the country, a Pac 12 loss would be devastating. That loss to UCLA back in 90' haunts me to this day... Huskies could have had back to back if not for that stupid day.

Knowing that they probably aren't makes a loss easier to swallow. I just don't see this team as having that kind of talent yet, and Browning is still young, so I'm not going to get all down if they can't win out. There's a game at Utah that will be tough, and Colorado isn't the joke they used to be. USC isn't going to be easy either...

I'd still like a shot against 'Bama to see what tricks Peterson has up his sleeve, :sarcasm_on: but I'm not some delusional Duck fan who thinks because my team can run the table against a weak ass Pac 12, that they have the talent to steamroll an SEC team... :sarcasm_off:
You want to be the best..You have to play the best..You learn from those games..Screw the Rose bowl.I want to see them play the tide.I don't think it would be an automatic loss at all and actually I think we can win

mrblitz

Reaction score
i think the huskies are much better than people thought they would be. it's as though they're a year or two ahead of the schedule some people had laid out for them.

having said that, the usc game could be a trap game. huskies will really have to tighten their chin straps and batten down the hatches for that.

if the huskies make it through the pac-12, they've got a real shot in the playoffs. they're so multi-dimensional on offense that no one can stop them except themselves.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":30aohf1s said:
IndyHawk":30aohf1s said:
You want to be the best..You have to play the best..You learn from those games..Screw the Rose bowl.I want to see them play the tide.I don't think it would be an automatic loss at all and actually I think we can win

That isn't the context of my statement.

I MEANT exactly what I said.... that I would not be "utterly devastated" by a loss in the regular season this year, knocking us out. I am not taking the attitude "Natty or bust' We simply aren't there yet, and I think those kinds of expectations are overblown and unrealistic.

This is the first year we have been a legit top 10 team in well over a decade, and I'll take it and be happy.

My eyes tell me that the Huskies aren't yet on the same level as Bama or Ohio State, or even Michigan. Clemson would be a good game for the Huskies, a nice test.. because I think their coaching isn't as solid as the other teams and I'd give UW a halfway decent chance to out-coach and beat them.

Now, Michigan is beatable because Harbaugh's teams always have those weird games where they shrink or make some insane error because he has them wound so tight all the time... but Nick Saban's teams never falter in that way, and their talent level is otherworldly. I think Bama wins over this Husky team 9 times out of 10.

Not saying it wouldn't be great to see the Huskies get their shot, but I right now, I have my doubts we even run the table.

Too many people are thinking that USC is a gimme game, it is not... Utah, the Cougs, Colorado... none will be easy games, after Arizona, that should be all but obvious. If we get through the rest of this season with only 1 or 2 more losses, I will absolutely take it with a smile.
See here's the thing..I do not agree with ALL your statements on the Dawgs.I have watched Oho State,Alabama and UM as they get jammed down our throats in this area.I have seen enough of the Dawgs to believe they can compete with all those teams and are capable of winning.The offense is very good and the defense is solid.The coaching is very good too and I think the team is going to get even better as the season rolls along.There is my take and I'm sticking with it so we can agree to disagree.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
It may be a down year in the PAC-12, but Washington is doing everything an elite top 5 team would do to a bunch of inferior opponents. We can look at Rutgers for a bit of comparison. Rutgers has been pounded by 3 teams so far this year...Washington, Michigan, and Ohio State. Michigan and Ohio State scored more and held them to less, but I'm pretty sure Washington pulled all their starters from the game in the middle of the second quarter when it was already something like 34-0.

And after watching the individual effort of some of the guys on Washington's defense, I believe they are as good as any of the best defenses in the country. Just watch Joe Mathis play the edge perfectly and tackle Oregon's speedster on a reverse by himself. Just watch the games and look at how on almost every play, everybody is in position. One of the UW coaches was saying that the defense was dominating Arizona's offensive linemen so bad, that they were actually opening up running lanes for them due to pushing back the O-linemen so far. That explains the lackluster performance against them, and how they were able to correct that when they played Oregon. But, take that for what it's worth.

The offensive line is giving Browning all day to throw almost every play. When pressure is there, he's been great at moving around the pocket, buying time, and throwing on the run. He also seems to know exactly when he can scramble for a first down. There are also multiple weapons at RB and WR.

If there are any question marks, it would be the FG kicking game and Browning's arm strength. I'm not overly concerned with these, however.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Yeah a lot of it is wishful thinking on my part, but Damm they've been playing well.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":1t89tggt said:
IndyHawk":1t89tggt said:
See here's the thing..I do not agree with ALL your statements on the Dawgs.I have watched Oho State,Alabama and UM as they get jammed down our throats in this area.I have seen enough of the Dawgs to believe they can compete with all those teams and are capable of winning.The offense is very good and the defense is solid.The coaching is very good too and I think the team is going to get even better as the season rolls along.There is my take and I'm sticking with it so we can agree to disagree.

If the Huskies get through the rest of this season undefeated, I'll be pleasantly and completely surprised.

And then they will get their chance to be compared to Alabama and the rest of them, and they'll be analyzed to death by sports pundits and Vegas odds makers far more knowledgeable than I.

But right now, the eye test tells me that this is a very down Pac 12 year, and that the Huskies faced Oregon and Stanford offensive lines that are shadows of what they used to be. Bama has a guard that is 350 lbs and agile as a cat, and a center that goes 320.... they aren't the turnstiles that the Huskies have been lining up against this year.
Bama of course has all these 5 stars whatnots and sure they can move the ball but passing is not their strong suit.I don't believe they have faced a defense like UW's and you can imagine if we stack the box that running game isn't going to just steamroll.I could end up being wrong and yeah they could lose a game before the season ends but knock on wood if they just keep doing what they do- I don't see a loss

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I think Alabama's defensive front 7 would absolutely destroy UW's o'line. UW's D would hold up pretty well but Alabama would get some. I'd say Alabama would win, something like 31-10.

Still, if i'm a Husky i'd much rather have the chance to compete against Alabama in the playoffs, even if it means a probable loss, then go to the Rose Bowl.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1er6qi8d said:
I think Alabama's defensive front 7 would absolutely destroy UW's o'line. UW's D would hold up pretty well but Alabama would get some. I'd say Alabama would win, something like 31-10.

Still, if i'm a Husky i'd much rather have the chance to compete against Alabama in the playoffs, even if it means a probable loss, then go to the Rose Bowl.
I respect the opinions but think about this..Who has Alabama played that has a offense and players like we have?Has a defense like ours to go with that offense?Has coaching as good as ours?There isn't anyone they have or going to play that is like us period.They may have a better Defensive front but we have a QB/WR's that can counter that with all kinds of quick passes.We will have to wait and get there first but so does Alabama.Only the top 4 get in so..

JSeahawks

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1iru7aij said:
JSeahawks":1iru7aij said:

I respect the opinions but think about this..Who has Alabama played that has a offense and players like we have?Has a defense like ours to go with that offense?Has coaching as good as ours?There isn't anyone they have or going to play that is like us period.They may have a better Defensive front but we have a QB/WR's that can counter that with all kinds of quick passes.We will have to wait and get there first but so does Alabama.Only the top 4 get in so..

Oregon learned that all the skill players in the world don't matter when the auburms, Lsu's and Ohio states of the world are mauling your o'line. Would be the same for UW.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
I think Peterson in the playoffs could be intriguing. He always did well with BSU in the bowl games.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":360qgnl0 said:
IndyHawk":360qgnl0 said:
JSeahawks":360qgnl0 said:

Oregon learned that all the skill players in the world don't matter when the auburms, Lsu's and Ohio states of the world are mauling your o'line. Would be the same for UW.
2 different schools and offenses..What was the scores for the Ducks in their highest bowl games?I bet their defense wasn't as good as UW's due to that fast moving offense that would not eat the clock to rest their D.Their line was made for speed on offense which gets mauled by good D lines if the corners are covering the WR's well.I hope we get to see us get to playoffs.I don't think anyone wants to play us when they really take a look at what they are facing.It all starts with the mastermind coach Pete,his awesome Qb and that sick D with future NFL players on it.GO DAWGS!!!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":2s4j6pcy said:

Husky fans are the worst.

:lol:

JSeahawks":2s4j6pcy said:

No way man, their loss in the Rose to the Michigan/Ohio State loser would be so much sweeter!

#HuskyFanLogic

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Alabama's defensive front would be a big mismatch for UW. They are a mismatch for any OL in the country. They are just on a wholly different plane.

It would take a game not unlike BSU v. Oklahoma where coach Pete installs just a brilliant game plan to outfox them. Alabama has a ton of talent. But they also play a conservative brand of ball. Expecting to win on their talent surplus. That has bitten Saban before and that's how he's lost playoff/bowl games in the recent past.

Where the UW could match up with them is defensively against their offense.

UW would have to exceed their intensity, and Bama would need to kind of take us lightly I think. For sure, UW couldn't let opportunities slip through (whether potential turnovers or big plays). And UW would have to weather the inevitable adversity when Bama makes a run on the scoreboard or field position.

I get the real sense that UW doesn't really yet know how good they are. Feels a bit like the '90 team that really didn't get truly rolling until the 'all I saw was purple' game. Not real sure that the Stanford/Oregon games provided that. Bama knows exactly how good they are. Confidence crisis would need to be surmounted for the Dawgs to have a chance.

cesame

Reaction score
What has given Alabama trouble the past few years is teams that run the spread offense and run tempo. Washington really does neither.

Teams that play conventional vs Alabama and make it man vs man lose badly.

cesame

Reaction score
I think I'd take Washington over Michigan. Really want to see more from Washington, though. Last I heard their strength of schedule is in the 80's.

That said, Alabama is clearly the favorite over every team in the country as of right now

In the end I think it's probably Alabama vs Ohio State for the championship

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
cesame":3j74kzxs said:
What has given Alabama trouble the past few years is teams that run the spread offense and run tempo. Washington really does neither.

Teams that play conventional vs Alabama and make it man vs man lose badly.

Even then we saw them beat Clemson last year, probably the best spread offense they've faced in the Saban era.

I think Washington is a pretender in respect to the playoff. The Pac 12 is trash. They're certainly improved and will likely win the conference, but they're not a National Title contender.

That said any Husky fan saying they DONT wan't their team to have a shot at the title needs their head examined.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":185sn2sv said:
Alabama's defensive front would be a big mismatch for UW. They are a mismatch for any OL in the country. They are just on a wholly different plane.

It would take a game not unlike BSU v. Oklahoma where coach Pete installs just a brilliant game plan to outfox them. Alabama has a ton of talent. But they also play a conservative brand of ball. Expecting to win on their talent surplus. That has bitten Saban before and that's how he's lost playoff/bowl games in the recent past.

Where the UW could match up with them is defensively against their offense.

UW would have to exceed their intensity, and Bama would need to kind of take us lightly I think. For sure, UW couldn't let opportunities slip through (whether potential turnovers or big plays). And UW would have to weather the inevitable adversity when Bama makes a run on the scoreboard or field position.

I get the real sense that UW doesn't really yet know how good they are. Feels a bit like the '90 team that really didn't get truly rolling until the 'all I saw was purple' game. Not real sure that the Stanford/Oregon games provided that. Bama knows exactly how good they are. Confidence crisis would need to be surmounted for the Dawgs to have a chance.

Saban with a month and change to prep for a team usually does not go very well for the team Alabama is facing.

As a USC fan I was reminded of this very quickly. :lol:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Well I guess We will just have to shock the world..Hass you may be right that UW might not know just how good they are.I hope they discover it as the season goes to the end without a loss.

Latest posts