The Apple Cup

Largent80

Reaction score
Fast forwarding a bit here. With both teams playing well, how do you think this game bodes for bowl seedings?....Or simply who do ya got?.....Or even just discuss anything to do with the game.

Hawker

Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me if the Apple Cup decides the top spot in the conference. What if both teams win out over the next 5 games, then WSU upsets at the Apple Cup, leaving both teams tied atop the conference? Coug fan dreaming here. Right now - even as a WSU guy - it'd be hard pressed to pick WSU in the cup right now. UW is just so well balanced on both sides of the ball.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
^ While this is true many things can happen over a 5 week period. Injuries, slumps etc.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
UW has a decided advantage due to their ability to play man to man and get to the QB with 4 linemen. That is kryptonite to offenses like WSU's.

Only x factor in my mind is if WSU can run the ball as they have started to this year. That gives them a chance.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I'm really getting pissed off at this yearly scheduling of the Apple Cup on Black Friday during work hours. Black Friday is only about a half holiday, with maybe half the workforce having that day off. Once again, I'll have to try to record the game on my friend's TV and watch it later. Just dumb.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
UW will destroy WSU.

If i'm a Husky fan the only game i'm really worried about is USC. If UW remains healthy and plays up to their abilities USC is the only team in the conference that has the players to go toe to toe with them.

Of all the teams with a legit chance to make the playoffs UW has the easiest route.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
JSeahawks":30pndiii said:
UW will destroy WSU.

If i'm a Husky fan the only game i'm really worried about is USC. If UW remains healthy and plays up to their abilities USC is the only team in the conference that has the players to go toe to toe with them.

Of all the teams with a legit chance to make the playoffs UW has the easiest route.

Is this the same guy that actually said he is more worried about Oregon playing WSU than the Huskies?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Largent80":1w59aozu said:
JSeahawks":1w59aozu said:
UW will destroy WSU.

Is this the same guy that actually said he is more worried about Oregon playing WSU than the Huskies?

Rightfully so. They both kicked our ass. One just had 12 years of angst they took out on us. I'm not saying the cougs are better then the huskies, just that the cougs are to the ducks, as the rams are to the seahawks. We always struggle verse them for some reason.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Largent80":3c2k806a said:
So, if UW loses to Utah and WSU wins, what is the importance of this game?

Wouldnt change anything. The winner of the Apple Cup would still go on to represent the northern division in the pac 12 championship game. The only thing it would change is that UW would likely be playing for the Rose Bowl instead of the Playoffs in that scenario.

Maulbert

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1g5ifutz said:
Largent80":1g5ifutz said:
So, if UW loses to Utah and WSU wins, what is the importance of this game?

Wouldnt change anything. The winner of the Apple Cup would still go on to represent the northern division in the pac 12 championship game. The only thing it would change is that UW would likely be playing for the Rose Bowl instead of the Playoffs in that scenario.

Yes. Effectively, as long as the Cougars and Huskies are within 1 game of each other in the Pac-12 North standings, the winner goes to the Pac-12 Championship Game because the first tie breaker is head-to-head.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
This is only my first season following college football but I'm really excited for this game. I don't have a dog in this fight (as I'm not a fan of any college team yet) but most of the inside info about CFB I get is from this site and since most here are UW, WSU or Oregon fans I naturally look more at the Pac-12 than at other conferences.

I like a good underdog story so I'd love to see UW going to the play-offs and upsetting perennial contenders like Alabama, Clemson and Michigan but on the other hand it'd be fun to see 'little brother' WSU beating the seemingly unbeatable UW for the right to represent the Pac-12 in the conference championship.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
What's weird for me is when I first moved to Washington in 1977 I lived on the East side so I became a Cougar fan. I lived most of my time in Wash. on the West side. I'm a fan of both teams however I always kinda root for the Cougs because of those first years.

This year, I would love for the Huskies to play for the N.C. if it's possible so I guess we have to see what happens the next few weeks.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Yea, if UW is still undefeated I'll root for them in the Apple Cup because it would be cool to have a northwest team in the playoffs again. But if UW drops one before then i'll root for Washington State, because id rather see the cougs in the Rose Bowl then the HUskies.

I think UW beats Utah. But I think USC is going to beat them in a couple weeks.

McGruff

Reaction score
Largent80":2wv9y9uz said:
What's weird for me is when I first moved to Washington in 1977 I lived on the East side so I became a Cougar fan. I lived most of my time in Wash. on the West side. I'm a fan of both teams however I always kinda root for the Cougs because of those first years.

This year, I would love for the Huskies to play for the N.C. if it's possible so I guess we have to see what happens the next few weeks.

I'm in the same boat. I root for all 5 northwest schools on a week to week basis, and when they play each other I mostly root for the team that has the most to gain nationally.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
OOOOOOOOhhhhhh Weeeeeee, with Washington losing and the Cougs winning, this game just got real interesting.

sdog1981

Reaction score
I was at the game and the UW pass rush was not promising. I hope they can figure something out to generate more of a pass rush or that game could get out of hand quick.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
I have the Cougs winning, and hopefully it is a blizzard which would make it very entertaining just like the old days.

davidonmi

Reaction score
the cougs are good on defense, but to slow down UW like USC did you need athletes. don't think WSU has that.

offensively, especially without cracraft I don't see WSU being able to beat UW down the field enough to match the score.
41-28 UW

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
davidonmi":1sli6nz2 said:
the cougs are good on defense, but to slow down UW like USC did you need athletes. don't think WSU has that.

offensively, especially without cracraft I don't see WSU being able to beat UW down the field enough to match the score.
41-28 UW

Cracraft is far more important in the middle of the field and 3rd down. His loss won't impact WSU's ability to go long.