Coach Pete

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Just curious what everyone thinks of Petersen now? I know there was a bit of criticism the last few years over his decision making skills in game and some other things.

I actually moved to Boise in 2006 when he took over BSU so I've been following him awhile but I am just curious what others think.

cesame

Reaction score
Doing a terrible job

One of these days he'll figure this coaching thing out

OP
OP
EverydayImRusselin

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything I just know last year there was some minor rumblings that Pete made some baffling coaching decisions in games and may have even cost the team a win or two with his decisions.

I personally love the guy. I grew up watching UW and moved to Boise and watched him dominate for 8 years. It's kind of a best of both worlds for me, taking over at UW. I think he's an incredible coach and probably a top 5 talent developer in the collegiate ranks.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
No idea if this is true or not. But some pretty good Duck sources say that when Chip Kelly decided to go to the NFL, Coach Peterson's people reached out to the Ducks athletic department (remember, he used to be an assistant coach at Oregon), and their calls werent even returned because the Ducks were already set on Helfrich.

Oops.

OP
OP
EverydayImRusselin

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
JSeahawks":yr40tjts said:
No idea if this is true or not. But some pretty good Duck sources say that when Chip Kelly decided to go to the NFL, Coach Peterson's people reached out to the Ducks athletic department (remember, he used to be an assistant coach at Oregon), and their calls werent even returned because the Ducks were already set on Helfrich.

Oops.

I went to Cabo back in 2010 right before BSU played Utah in the Las Vegas Bowl and happened to meet a guy at the pool who said he used to play at Oregon State (I don't recall his name but he was older and said he beat OJ at USC and it was his proudest moment). He was a CBS radio guy and was calling the game in a few days. He said he was involved in the hiring process when they brought back Riley. They interviewed Dan Hawkins (Pete's predecessor at BSU) and during the interview Hawkins was just going on and on about how Pete was the genious behind the offense and how he was going to make everything work. The guy I was talking to said it was almost embarassing and that it made him want to hire Pete not Hawkins. Needless to say that didn't happen.

drrew

Reaction score
If UW gets to the playoffs, after what he did at BSU, I think he moves to the top of the CFB coaching landscape, non Saban/Urban division.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
JSeahawks":39gl30n0 said:

Oops.

I'm sure he was trying to get an offer so he could use that as leverage to negotiate his UW contract... :179422:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2y53b5hq said:
JSeahawks":2y53b5hq said:

Oops.

I'm sure he was trying to get an offer so he could use that as leverage to negotiate his UW contract... :179422:

Actually the reaching out to Oregon was true. But the change never happened. I have basically been in this Boise area since about mid 86. Year and a half elsewhere then back here. Coach Pete had a great understanding of the game under 3 different Head coaches here. He also had the recruiting skills to pull it off too. It was a rough day when he left here to go to UW. As they say in the big city, you have to give the guy time to get his people in before you can judge his skills as a leader. He is the best coach they had here besides Pokey Allen.

kobebryant

Reaction score
drrew":37iqxv8c said:
If UW gets to the playoffs, after what he did at BSU, I think he moves to the top of the CFB coaching landscape, non Saban/Urban division.

By "moves to the top of the CFB coaching landscape" do you mean being just below Saban/Urban on the heirarchy? or physically moving to a huge program like Texas,LSU, Notre Dame?

Overseasfan

Reaction score
kobebryant":3tv4ls8y said:
drrew":3tv4ls8y said:

By "moves to the top of the CFB coaching landscape" do you mean being just below Saban/Urban on the heirarchy? or physically moving to a huge program like Texas,LSU, Notre Dame?

Probably both. Not that he necessarily will leave but I can imagine lots of big programs being interested in him.

OP
OP
EverydayImRusselin

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Overseasfan":1mflhhdp said:
kobebryant":1mflhhdp said:
drrew":1mflhhdp said:

Probably both. Not that he necessarily will leave but I can imagine lots of big programs being interested in him.

I doubt he leaves UW for a big name program. He doesn't want the huge spotlight that comes with an SEC school like LSU or a Texas. I could see him staying at UW (assuming he maintains success of course) for the rest of his career. That's the kind of guy he is.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
You can forget him going to Notre Dame where the spotlight and alums demands for golf with the coach will turn him off..Texas probaly same..LSU well he's not a southern guy is he?I think he stays a UW but gets raises like no other UW coach has save for Don James.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":1mh84bx5 said:
Overseasfan":1mh84bx5 said:
kobebryant":1mh84bx5 said:
drrew":1mh84bx5 said:

I doubt he leaves UW for a big name program. He doesn't want the huge spotlight that comes with an SEC school like LSU or a Texas. I could see him staying at UW (assuming he maintains success of course) for the rest of his career. That's the kind of guy he is.

Lol he said that about Boise state as well