Is there a scenario where WSU gets in the playoff?

HawkGA

Reaction score
I'm thinking with the Big 12 sucking and no independent or small school in the running anymore, does a Michigan win over Ohio State open the door for the PAC-12 champion even if said champion is WSU?

I think Louisville is the only team legitimately in the way in that scenario, though given that it is just people deciding, I could still see other teams put ahead of WSU (like Ohio State).

dutchcoug

Reaction score
Small chance if we won out. The comity might see that EWU loss and move on. Either way, we're a long shot to even win out.

jkitsune

Reaction score
I don't think there's any realistic scenario where a 2-loss WSU team, even as Pac-12 champion, gets in. There are too many strong 1-loss teams currently. Bama and Clemson are both pretty likely to be undefeated, so you really just have two spots to go around. In the event that both UW and Michigan lose, you still need to pull ahead of OSU and Louisville, and then a few 2-loss teams that are currently more highly regarded.

And one of those losses being to an FCS club is going to hurt even if you pull into a many-way tie with other 2-loss teams.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
dutchcoug":2pfnbawt said:
Small chance if we won out. The comity might see that EWU loss and move on. Either way, we're a long shot to even win out.

I think that is very possibly true but hopefully conference championship means something.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Unfortunately for the Cougs, I would say 0% chance.

And if they win the PAC-12 it'll only be as much a 'down year' for the Pac 12 as it is for the Big 12. They lost to EWU for heavens sake.

Washington are the PAC-12's only hope for the playoffs.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Never happen. They would take a 3 loss SEC or Big 10 team over WSU. WSU screwed themselves with the Eastern loss.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
No chance. Only reason why a P12 team is in the four right now is because they are undefeated. No one loss Pac-12 school will get into the Top 4.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
So I'm thinking an upset of Okalhoma by Baylor today and a surprise loss by Ohio State? Oh, and Louisville dropping at least one more game (but 2, if they even have 2 left to play, would be better!).

Oh, probably Penn State needs to lose again too.

zifnab32

Reaction score
HawkGA":2zhxy11l said:
So I'm thinking an upset of Okalhoma by Baylor today and a surprise loss by Ohio State? Oh, and Louisville dropping at least one more game (but 2, if they even have 2 left to play, would be better!).

You would also need Wisconsin, Texas A+M, Auburn, and Nebraska to lose. You're also ranked behind Virginia Tech, West Virginia, UNC, Florida State, Boise, West Virginia, and Western Michigan, so all of those teams would need to lose at least one, and several probably two.

USC, Utah, and Colorado are also ranked higher, but for the sake of the argument I assumed WSU would have a win over the Pac-12 south champion in this scenario

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The problem is the bias..A 2-3 loss SEC/BIG10 team will be in before a 2 loss WSU team..Just like we have seen a 2 loss SEC team play for the NC..I hate it but they are obvious

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
zifnab32":cmcqotq1 said:
HawkGA":cmcqotq1 said:

You would also need Wisconsin, Texas A+M, Auburn, and Nebraska to lose. You're also ranked behind Virginia Tech, West Virginia, UNC, Florida State, Boise, West Virginia, and Western Michigan, so all of those teams would need to lose at least one, and several probably two.

USC, Utah, and Colorado are also ranked higher, but for the sake of the argument I assumed WSU would have a win over the Pac-12 south champion in this scenario

I bake in another Auburn loss because they play Alabama too.

I would like to think the conference champion and winning out (meaning beating UW) would vault WSU ahead of most of those teams. Certainly the second tier of teams you listed shouldn't be a problem I could maybe see Nebraska, though it seems like they have folded well down the stretch (or not well, if you're a Nebraska fan!). A&M I disagree with in principle but recognize in practice you are probably right. They didn't deserve to be ahead of UW last week but the simple fact is they were.