Phil Knight willing to break the bank for a new coach at UO.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I wish we could just fast forward 2 months and have it all be done. So many conflicting reports right now:

In the last 3 days we've had:

Chip Kelly wants to return to college AND Chip Kelly wants to stay in the NFL reports.
Phil Knight is going to buy a new coach AND Phil Knight understands its a rebuilding year and supports Helfrich reports.
Helfrich is as good as gone AND Helfrich will get one more year if he replaces some assistants reports.

In the end, i do think Helfrich will be fired and we'll end up with a new head coach. My choices in order:

1. Chip Kelly
2. PJ Fleck from Western Michigan (Young, hungry, runs a similar offense to what we already have)
3. Tom Hermann from Houston

The biggest thing we need is hungry, work hard dudes who will kill it on the recruiting trail. Ducks current assistants have mostly been around here forever and are pretty old. They're good coaches (most of them) but don't seem to put forward the effort on the recruiting trail and have the bonds with the young kids like younger coaches might.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Helfrich was asked about this in a press conference,his response was, "I guess it wouldn't be me getting the $10 million, huh?"

Helfrich is a good dude. He loves Oregon, he's smart, he's pretty funny, it's really too bad that he's in over his head as a head coach.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
A few other names I hear thrown Around for the ducks, who might be willing to leave their schools for various reasons Larry fedora from North Carolina, mike Gundy from Oklahoma state, and Dan Mullen from Mississippi state. I'd be happy with any of those guys.

chris98251

Reaction score
You missed the boat, should have offered the farm to get Harbaugh interested, what he has done in Michigan is amazing in such a short period of time, he knows the Pac 12 and you had a good reputation at that time.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
chris98251":1bl7ebay said:
You missed the boat, should have offered the farm to get Harbaugh interested, what he has done in Michigan is amazing in such a short period of time, he knows the Pac 12 and you had a good reputation at that time.

Don't think harbaugh was leaving the nfl for anybody but his alma mater.

chris98251

Reaction score
In that Cesspool of a Franchise he was looking for an out, if Phil would have thrown money at him he may have taken it based on what was going on in the 49ers front office at the time.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
No suprise a alum and booster is going to pay for a coach..Can he buy players too if he has not already :stirthepot:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Can't wait for Chip Kelly to pull a Petrino and go back to Oregon. Meanwhile Clay Helton will win 8 or 9 games and save his job and the USC mediocrity train continues.

Yay.

*kicks a wall*

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I don't see Chip Kelly going to Oregon unless all he cares about is collecting a paycheck.

chris98251

Reaction score
fenderbender123":1eszc6va said:
I don't see Chip Kelly going to Oregon unless all he cares about is collecting a paycheck.

He went to the 49ers for that didn't he?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2i6hodiw said:

Why is that? In the NFL he's Jim Tomsula.. in college he's elite. And in Eugene he's a hero.

Oregon is probably his best landing spot if he wishes to go back to college. I think he'd be scary good at USC or UCLA too with the surplus of talent.. but I think the pressure to win there would be far different than at Oregon.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1qkuz687 said:
Can't wait for Chip Kelly to pull a Petrino and go back to Oregon. Meanwhile Clay Helton will win 8 or 9 games and save his job and the USC mediocrity train continues.

Yay.

*kicks a wall*
Been saying it for awhile now Chip will be back at Oregon next year.
The NFL hasn't been too kind to him, and the Niners org is a black hole that sucks the life out of coaches.

He'll take a raise to go back to the quackers.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
If recruiting is that big of a problem (and I don't doubt it, all things considered) then Creepy Uncle Phil should spend the money on booze and hookers for the potential recruits. It works in the SEC!

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1nhvtoho said:
fenderbender123":1nhvtoho said:

Why is that? In the NFL he's Jim Tomsula.. in college he's elite. And in Eugene he's a hero.

Oregon is probably his best landing spot if he wishes to go back to college. I think he'd be scary good at USC or UCLA too with the surplus of talent.. but I think the pressure to win there would be far different than at Oregon.

The fact that he didn't win a championship at Oregon while he was at Oregon is going to steer him away. He's a championship caliber coach, and he knows it, so why not go to a bigger time program where it'll be easier to get the talent?