Peterson about to sign a 10 year contract

JSeahawks

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3ffx9idq said:
HawkGA":3ffx9idq said:
That seems long.

That's what she said.

But seriously, yeah that's a big contract.

There's got to be loopholes for both sides to get out of it. 10 years is way too long. Good to show stability to recruits though.

chris98251

Reaction score
This is security for him, and the UW, we have seen the revolving door concept and since we have a winner they are trying to protect the program and revenue stream. NFL teams and other College programs will be coming at him now that he has proven his system works in the Major conferences and not just Boise State.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Don't do it. Four max. Never sign a huge deal like that especially after one good season. Ask ND about that. Granted, I think Petersen coaches circles around Weiss, but still...

2_0_6

Reaction score
Peterson proved he was a damn good coach while at BSU, and is only making that case stronger now. As a Huskies fan, my biggest fear is that he would have ended up at USC or Oregon at some point.

As mentioned earlier these deals have lots of loop holes and out clauses, but Im glad they are locking him up. Lots of top level high school freshman and sophomores I'm sure are taking notice as well.

This is great news.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1cl0k67j said:
Peterson proved he was a damn good coach while at BSU, and is only making that case stronger now. As a Huskies fan, my biggest fear is that he would have ended up at USC or Oregon at some point.

As mentioned earlier these deals have lots of loop holes and out clauses, but Im glad they are locking him up. Lots of top level high school freshman and sophomores I'm sure are taking notice as well.

This is great news.

While at BSU, he recruited in TEXAS...so yes a lot of freshmen and sophomores are probably taking a look.

zifnab32

Reaction score
sc85sis":32pdykhu said:
Don't do it. Four max. Never sign a huge deal like that especially after one good season. Ask ND about that. Granted, I think Petersen coaches circles around Weiss, but still...

He's won national coach of the year twice, and finished in the top ten 4 times in 8 years at BSU - and in a 5th season he finished 11th. He's poised to finish in the top ten again this year. He's won 116 out of the 140 games he's been a head coach for.

Weis had never been a head coach before, and was given the 10 year contract after going 5-2 in his first year.

The situations are not even remotely close.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Contract extensions like this happen all the time. Not a huge deal IMO.

Petersen is one of the best coaches in the country, he deserves this payday and probably the other pay bumps in the future.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
His credentials aside, I have no problem with it.

Petersen strikes me as a coach that is hard to move off his spot once he's there. How many jobs did he turn down at BSU? That's not the kind of thing a stone stepping coach who is seeking to ascend the coaching ladder does.

The kinds of teams and players he builds and brings in seems to require a significant degree of genuine investment from both parties. And Petersen appears naturally inclined to offer that. I'm guessing he'll view a long commitment as a recruiting advantage to every recruit he visits over the next decade.

When he's in a living room with a recruit or parents, he's going to be able to sell his genuine passion and quality and commitment. There will be no lingering question of if Uncle Phil is going to demand a coaching fire sale in 12 months because he wants a ring before he dies.

This deal should give Petersen an even greater advantage over Oregon in the occasional instances where they vie for the same recruit.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
This is his last stop so once and if it goes 10 he is done coaching from what I have read,

sc85sis

Reaction score
I'm not saying they should t extend him. They absolutely should. But I think it's crazy to sign any coach to a ten year deal. Five is plenty.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
sc85sis":3oi96s8c said:
I'm not saying they should t extend him. They absolutely should. But I think it's crazy to sign any coach to a ten year deal. Five is plenty.

Eh.. It's not a huge deal. The school can afford to buy him out if for whatever reason Petersen stinks after the big money (very hard time seeing that happen), and if he were to leave to an upper tier school.. They'd be on the hook for the contract.

Contract extensions for coaches aren't nearly the big deal as say a long extension for a NFL player.