Helfrich fired! Taggart hired!

cesame

Reaction score
I'd like to believe it's true but who really knows

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
It is simply amazing how far Oregon has fallen and how quickly it happened.

cesame

Reaction score
My gut tells me Helfrich will be back next season

So much continuity on the staff

$11M buyout
Another $3M buyout for the assistants
Then another $4-5M or so for a new coach plus paying those assistants

That's a lot of money

Firing Helfrich means starting from the very beginning. New head coach/assistant coaches/trainers/etc. Basically a completely new program.

If it were my choice I'd fire him in a second, but it's also not my money.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
It's Phil Knights and he can do whatever needs to be done money wise.The UO won't pay anything isn't that great?

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
cesame":st1re59t said:
My gut tells me Helfrich will be back next season

So much continuity on the staff

$11M buyout
Another $3M buyout for the assistants

Firing Helfrich means starting from the very beginning. New head coach/assistant coaches/trainers/etc. Basically a completely new program.

If it were my choice I'd fire him in a second, but it's also not my money.

I think he's already gone and the decisions already made. Kilkenny was on canzanos radio show today and he talked about how UW waited to long to fire willingham and it set them back years. The money guys seem to know now is the time.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Les Miles is available....not sure if he'd want to come to Oregon though since he will have his pick of jobs after the college FB season.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3pbjvqqu said:
Les Miles is available....not sure if he'd want to come to Oregon though since he will have his pick of jobs after the college FB season.

Gross. No thanks.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well lets watch the score on Sunday, should be epic beat down with a pissed off Patriots team taking things out on a NFC West team.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
But Oregon won today...so no one is going anywhere????? LOL

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":251qlqva said:
Hasselbeck":251qlqva said:
Chip Kelly back to Oregon is so going to happen

I'm inclined to agree.

The problem is if they fire Helfrich they can't afford to wait a month and a half til the end of the nfl season to get a coach.

CPHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3pz495od said:
Seahawks1983":3pz495od said:
Hasselbeck":3pz495od said:

I'm inclined to agree.

The problem is if they fire Helfrich they can't afford to wait a month and a half til the end of the nfl season to get a coach.

If you can get Kelly back, I'd be ok waiting 6months for him. You can't just hire a guy just because, or UO will turn into UW before this year. With Kelly, UO wins 10-11 games next year, with the wrong coach UO will go 6-6, 7-5.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
CPHawk":3bfix0sv said:
JSeahawks":3bfix0sv said:
Seahawks1983":3bfix0sv said:
Hasselbeck":3bfix0sv said:

I'm inclined to agree.

If you can get Kelly back, I'd be ok waiting 6months for him. You can't just hire a guy just because, or UO will turn into UW before this year. With Kelly, UO wins 10-11 games next year, with the wrong coach UO will go 6-6, 7-5.
I know a current OC win the NFL that would look great as a HC in Oregon colors next year! 8) It would be a WIN-WIN for everyone. :2thumbs:
Make it happen uncle Phil!! 8)

CPHawk

Reaction score
The problem is if they fire Helfrich they can't afford to wait a month and a half til the end of the nfl season to get a coach.[/quote]

If you can get Kelly back, I'd be ok waiting 6months for him. You can't just hire a guy just because, or UO will turn into UW before this year. With Kelly, UO wins 10-11 games next year, with the wrong coach UO will go 6-6, 7-5.[/quote]
I know a current OC win the NFL that would look great as a HC in Oregon colors next year! 8) It would be a WIN-WIN for everyone. :2thumbs:
Make it happen uncle Phil!! 8)[/quote]

I wouldn't want him as HC, but I do wonder if it's his play calling or if it's Pete making him call a conservative game. I know Bellotti dictated a lot of stuff that he wanted his d to do, that made fans blame Aliotti for years about. But once MB left, the D suddenly stopped being as soft on 3rd and longs. I'm always curious if the HC is actually to blame for schemes and plays.

cesame

Reaction score
Beating an overrated Utah team should't be a reason to give Helfrich another year. Just look at Utah's resume.

Wins are against

Southern Utah
BYU
San Jose St
USC (record below .500 at the time)
Arizona
Oregon State
UCLA
Arizona State

Losses

Washinton
Oregon
California

Yeah, somehow Utah managed to lose to both California and Oregon, the two two worst defenses in the country. Figure that one out.

I've thought all along Helfrich will be back and imo it seems pretty likely now. His $11M buyout + Hoke's buyout + buying out all of the other assistants is a lot of money.

Hlefrich will be back next year and fans of the other 11 PAC 12 schools will be happy to see it.

Sigh.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I'm guessing Herman won't happen for Oregon. Sounds like Texas fired Strong in large part because they want Herman. Maybe they are doing that blind and just assume they can get him, but I'm guessing they made that move knowing they could get him. It will be incredibly embarrassing g for them if they can't.