Huskies Playoffs or Rose Bowl poll

QuahHawk

Reaction score
For some reason I am really not interested in the Huskies becoming #4 and having to travel to Atlanta for the Peach bowl vs Alabama. I am really hoping we can somehow get up to #2 or #3 and get put in the Fiesta Bowl.

I am willing to give up a shot at the title as the #4 seed and stay at #5 and likely be the favorites to win the Rose Bowl. I think a Rose Bowl win vs #8 Penn State would be a lot more fun than a loss vs #1 Alabama.

I also think a Rose Bowl win would be better for Recruiting than a loss to Bama.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
How do you feel about an Alamo Bowl when USC wins the conference title?

(not a husky fan, but i'd much rather have my team make the playoffs and have a chance, then have them play in the Rose bowl against a very underwhelming Penn State.)

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
If Ohio St beats michigan, Penn St will actually be the team headed to the Big 10 Conference Championship.

A 2 loss Penn St vs a 2 loss Wisconsin, would the winner make the playoffs over a 1 loss Ohio St, Washington, or Clemson?

CPHawk

Reaction score
There's zero shot at UW going to the rose bowl. It's playoffs or bust. Lose to WSU or in the title game, and it San Antonio.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2bd7p0vr said:
If Ohio St beats michigan, Penn St will actually be the team headed to the Big 10 Conference Championship.

A 2 loss Penn St vs a 2 loss Wisconsin, would the winner make the playoffs over a 1 loss Ohio St, Washington, or Clemson?

Yes. Or else the BIG 10 title game means nothing. I think in this scenario, you see 2 Big 10 teams in the playoffs. It would be Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St and the Big 10 champ.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
WmHBonney":113oxhi2 said:
Wenhawk":113oxhi2 said:

Yes. Or else the BIG 10 title game means nothing. I think in this scenario, you see 2 Big 10 teams in the playoffs. It would be Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St and the Big 10 champ.
If conference championships are supposed to be so meaningful then explain how the committee could leave out a 12-1 conference champion in Washington in favor of an 11-1 Ohio State that didn't even play for their conference championship?

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Anybody that claims to be a Huskies fan and then says they'd rather not play Alabama in the playoffs because they'd rather have success in the Rose Bowl is an idiot. You want that OPPORTUNITY, period!

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Yeah, there's no way the committee is going to put both a 2-loss Big-10 conference champion and a 1-loss team from the Big-10 in the playoffs.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Rose Bowl is the least likely possibility of most of the bowl games. If we win out, we likely go to the playoff. Only chance we go to the Rose Bowl is if we win out, and somehow we get passed up and go to the Rose Bowl.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Why is this even a poll? I don't get this at all.. :lol:

Of course you want a shot at the National Championship. No one cares who won the Rose Bowl in January 2017... EVERYONE cares who wins in the playoff. This is like asking "would you rather have Washington win the Pac-12 tournament in basketball or reach the Final 4?" Uhhhh...

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3glpqxei said:
Rose Bowl is the least likely possibility of most of the bowl games. If we win out, we likely go to the playoff. Only chance we go to the Rose Bowl is if we win out, and somehow we get passed up and go to the Rose Bowl.

You could also go to the Rose Bowl if you lose to Colorado or USC in the title game and then that team is chosen for the playoffs. UW would then take their place in the Rose Bowl.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1f42eokn said:
Hawk-Lock":1f42eokn said:

You could also go to the Rose Bowl if you lose to Colorado or USC in the title game and then that team is chosen for the playoffs. UW would then take their place in the Rose Bowl.

Doubt they let USC or Colorado in. If Colorado makes it....man that is like robbery. They've beaten almost no one up until the WSU win. And WSU won't even be ranked by tomorrow.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Here are the projected odds for Washington's chances at specific bowl games. This takes into account we have a 65% chance of beating WSU in the Apple Cup and a 55% chance of winning the Pac-12 title game:

Alamo Bowl 34%
Cotton Bowl 28%
Peach Bowl 20%
Fiesta Bowl 13%
Rose Bowl 3%
Holiday Bowl 2%

As you can see, the chances of UW going to the Rose Bowl is very low.

Chapow

Reaction score
Sweet.

So some people would rather play what they see as a more winnable game than get a shot at a national championship?

Because that's what some of you are saying and I can't even fathom that. WTF?

Chapow

Reaction score
A simpler way to ask this question is, do you want a shot at a national championship or not?

I guess the answer is no for a pretty shocking amount of Husky fans.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2wshm5x1 said:
JSeahawks":2wshm5x1 said:
Hawk-Lock":2wshm5x1 said:

Doubt they let USC or Colorado in. If Colorado makes it....man that is like robbery. They've beaten almost no one up until the WSU win. And WSU won't even be ranked by tomorrow.

Agree'd about Colorado. But I bet if USC ends up winning the pac 12 title they'll be in the playoffs, even with 3 losses. 1. Because they're USC. 2. The committee is supposed to look at who's playing best at the time. Even though USC lost 3 games early they've been one of the best teams in the country since they switched QB's.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2wzrj10i said:
Hawk-Lock":2wzrj10i said:
JSeahawks":2wzrj10i said:
Hawk-Lock":2wzrj10i said:

Agree'd about Colorado. But I bet if USC ends up winning the pac 12 title they'll be in the playoffs, even with 3 losses. 1. Because they're USC. 2. The committee is supposed to look at who's playing best at the time. Even though USC lost 3 games early they've been one of the best teams in the country since they switched QB's.

Not a chance imo

fenderbender123

Reaction score
And yes, I would rather have the Huskies be in the playoffs than the Rose Bowl. Saying otherwise is like saying you'd rather have your college basketball team be in the NIT.

irocdave

Reaction score
Lol, who's to say all those that voted are UW fans? I would venture to say some Coug fans are influencing this debate. NFW UW fans are voting for the Rose bowl. iI the Dawgs win out, they are in the playoffs. Period.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Alright I don't know a lot about CFB and its culture but playing for the national title sounds a lot better than playing a consolation game.