Budda Baker on the Seahawks

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Budda Baker on the Seahawks
Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:15 pm
  • Of all the guys on the huskies roster right now I think Budda Baker is probably the one I'd like on our roster. I think he would be an amazing addition to the LOB.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Re: Budda Baker on the Seahawks
Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:25 pm
  • I'd much rather have John Ross. Then Sydney Jones. Then Victor Azeem. Then maybe Baker... although i'd put Qualls and Vea right up there too.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:49 pm
  • John Ross is the most electric WR in the PAC 12 since DeSean Jackson

Id take him,,, but Lockett and Richardson are pretty similar to him.
    cesame
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:31 pm
  • He plays a lot like Thomas, similar speed and range. He looks like a high draft pick as well. I hope he stays all four years but I think him and Jones will be first round picks if they come out this year. I'd love to draft Kevin King later on, since we haven't drafted a cb high since Pete got here I can't see Sidney Jones being targeted.
    Clark the shark
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:43 pm
  • I would take Jones over Ross.

The Hawks already went down that road once with drafting an electric receiver from the PAC 12 with past knee issues.
    Formula for success: Rise early, Work hard, repeat.
    Hawk_Nation
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:10 pm
  • Trey Adams and Sidney Jones would be my 1 & 2 from the Huskies.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:52 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:I'd much rather have John Ross. Then Sydney Jones. Then Victor Azeem. Then maybe Baker... although i'd put Qualls and Vea right up there too.

Weirdly, I agree with our Duck friend on this. BB would be about 4th on my list.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:55 am
  • cesame wrote:John Ross is the most electric WR in the PAC 12 since DeSean Jackson

Ross would be better than Richardson. Injuries have taken away Paul's consistency and explosive play ability IMHO.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:16 am
  • Just a hunch, but I feel like that if the Seahawks coaches find value in drafting a Husky player, it's going to be Kevin King. He's every bit as good as Sydney Jones, IMO, but doesn't seem to be rated as high, so he'll probably have better draft value.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:22 am
  • Yeah give me Trey Adams. As much as I love Fant, Adams will be a LT that you can pencil in for years.

As much as I love Ross, we already have a ton of receivers who fit his mold (small speedster type). He is basically a mixture of PRich and Lockett. At this point, if we draft a WR I'd much rather find a better version of Kerase (bigger WR who can move the chains).
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:04 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Yeah give me Trey Adams. As much as I love Fant, Adams will be a LT that you can pencil in for years.

As much as I love Ross, we already have a ton of receivers who fit his mold (small speedster type). He is basically a mixture of PRich and Lockett. At this point, if we draft a WR I'd much rather find a better version of Kerase (bigger WR who can move the chains).

Isnt Trey Adams a true sophomore? He'll have at least one more year to go before draft eligibility. Maybe 2.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:04 pm
  • I'm with the OP on this one. Baker is someone I would love to see on the Seahawks. His play reminds me a lot of Earl Thomas and I'd love to see what Pete Carrol could do with him. King is another guy that needs to be a Seahawk. I can't believe a 6'3" CB like King is being slated as a 6th guy. I don't think he slides past the 3rd once the combine rolls around and people start looking at game tape on him.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:45 pm
  • DJrmb wrote:I'm with the OP on this one. Baker is someone I would love to see on the Seahawks. His play reminds me a lot of Earl Thomas and I'd love to see what Pete Carrol could do with him. King is another guy that needs to be a Seahawk. I can't believe a 6'3" CB like King is being slated as a 6th guy. I don't think he slides past the 3rd once the combine rolls around and people start looking at game tape on him.

King's height, arm length, and ball skills are damn good. IMO, he's good enough to be a 2nd round pick, so if he's around in the 3rd, he'll be an absolute steal.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:26 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Yeah give me Trey Adams. As much as I love Fant, Adams will be a LT that you can pencil in for years.

Isnt Trey Adams a true sophomore? He'll have at least one more year to go before draft eligibility. Maybe 2.

Yeah he is at least a year or two away, but he has a chance to be a big time pick in the NFL.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:08 am
  • If I have to go on special ability, I'd go Ross/Baker.

If I'm going value, I'd go King/Pettis.

I would say of anyone, King is the most likely to be drafted by Seattle and to ensure that, he'd have to be a 3rd rounder. The draft is unusually stocked in DB and S prospects. It's entirely possible that both Baker and King are on the board at our 1st and 3rd round selections respectively.

The best prospect is Ross IMO. Speed aside, which should be ridiculous -- he's really shown an increased mastery of his craft. His hands are good, not great. But his route running is really crisp this year. He's not merely getting separation from speed. He's really blending speed and route precision at a high level this year and that combination translates very well at the NFL level.

King just screams Seahawk. And that was before this season. From a measurables standpoint, he's probably the perfect seahawk corner, with elite size and what should be close to elite explosion and speed. He would undoubtedly be the best leaper/straightline speed player on the roster on day 1. And his ability to play physical in the run defense game would only endear him more.

King's got the size and physical nature that Seattle covets. The kind of prospect who if taken in round 3 could end up being far and away the best DB in the entire draft in two years' time if he can develop. His ceiling is probably the highest of any DB in this draft.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:44 pm
  • I like Baker a lot, but the coaching staff would have to find a role for him. IMO he doesn't have the desired length to play nickel CB, or the size to fill in for Kam at SS, and E.T. has FS locked down for at least the next 5 years.

If we can get on U-Dub player at a good value, I would want King if he is available in the 4th round.
    cover-2
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:32 am
  • Jones, king, victor, Ross all in that order, baker doesn't even register since we have Thomas
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:27 pm
  • How about Coleman? Love the size and physicalality. Seems to have very respectable burst too. Seems to be a very Seahawky RB to me. Like him much more than Gaskin
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:03 pm
  • You don't pass on a potential hall of fame player just because you have one at the same position. Baker could easily move to slot corner or even SS when Kam misses his annual 3 or 4 games until we're ready for him to take over for Earl.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:14 pm
  • I was really impressed with Baker. If we are looking for depth at FS, he's definitely one to watch, and he looks like he can play slot in sub packages.
    McGruff
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:35 pm
  • Baker has a nose for the ball, and can tackle. Probably too expensive as a 1st round pick to have a 3rd Safety of that caliber. With they amount of nickel we play I think he could get a lot of playing time for him without injuries and bring a new wrinkle to our already great defense.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:21 pm
  • Probably not surprising, but JS has been seen at UW games this year. Gotta wonder who's on his list.
    Cad
    NET Practice Squad

Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:45 pm
  • Wenhawk wrote:Baker has a nose for the ball, and can tackle. Probably too expensive as a 1st round pick to have a 3rd Safety of that caliber. With they amount of nickel we play I think he could get a lot of playing time for him without injuries and bring a new wrinkle to our already great defense.

A few years ago they were targeting Mark barron is the first round.
    McGruff
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:37 am
  • Injuries are starting to mount up for Earl, and who knows where his head is...

Not so crazy of an idea to look at safety now?
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:16 pm
  • I would like Baker but have a feeling that Kevin King is the most likely to be drafted by us.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:46 pm

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays. 
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:27 pm
  • In my dreams, the Hawks get Jabril Peppers but no way he is not a top 5 pick. Damn.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:18 pm

• Wishful thinking. But I don't see that happening. :?
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays. 
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:24 pm
  • It would probably take more to get Berry than what Earl is currently being paid. I would pass on him, and allocate those funds towards the Oline or getting some of our current players extended.
    Formula for success: Rise early, Work hard, repeat.
    Hawk_Nation
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:06 pm
  • I like what I've seen from our backup FS. If Earl retires, he can step up and be the guy....whatever his name is :)
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:49 pm
  • cesame wrote:John Ross is the most electric WR in the PAC 12 since DeSean Jackson

Ross had a great year, but I'm kind of tired of these small speedy guys. We need a bigger target outside IMO.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:55 pm
  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    cesame wrote:John Ross is the most electric WR in the PAC 12 since DeSean Jackson

Ross had a great year, but I'm kind of tired of these small speedy guys. We need a bigger target outside IMO.

Be interesting to see this team with a Mike Evans.
    Adopt A Rookie: Nick Vannett, TE - Ohio State University
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:09 pm
  • Laloosh wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:
    cesame wrote:John Ross is the most electric WR in the PAC 12 since DeSean Jackson

Be interesting to see this team with a Mike Evans.

Wouldn't be fair. Wouldn't be fair.

Unfortunately barring us giving up a ton of draft compensation, we'll never be bad enough to land a Mike Evans like talent because those guys go Top 10 every time.

Fun to dream though.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:17 pm
  • But we do have Tanner McEvoy. ;)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:46 pm
  • A luxury 1-st/ or trade down & get an additional 2-nd round pick, could be the slot for a big productive WR, like................
    ---WR-Corey Davis, W. Michigan, 6-3/213, For 2016-------------------- 91/1427(15.68-YPC) & 18-TD's.

CAREER #'s = 326/5212 & *51*-TD's. (he's a much needed TD machine in the red zone.) *Note*-- the 5212 receiving yards I believe is an FBS all time career record and the 51-TD's isn't far behind the all time career receiving TD record. All great production #'s for any WR ever.
    :stirthepot:
    <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--> GO SEAHAWKS <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><-->
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:42 am
  • Missing_Clink wrote:How about Coleman? Love the size and physicalality. Seems to have very respectable burst too. Seems to be a very Seahawky RB to me. Like him much more than Gaskin

I really like Coleman as well. He looks the part so I'm curious to see where his combine numbers end up.

Lots of good posts in this thread. Great read, well done guys.
    Adopt a Rookie: C.J. Prosise
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:47 am
  • The Huskies also appear to do a lot of zone run blocking, so Coleman would have some experience with that.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:24 pm
  • Wenhawk wrote:Of all the guys on the huskies roster right now I think Budda Baker is probably the one I'd like on our roster. I think he would be an amazing addition to the LOB.

I think I'm the only one who agrees with you, I think Budda Baker would be the best option for a starter next year assuming Earl retires.

Not convinced John Ross will be great in the NFL.
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Valdosta, GA (Road Hawk)

Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:38 am
  • I think BaKer fits us perfectly, and I wouldn't be shocked if we go safety early if the right guy is there.

I also love Coleman for us. His combine will be interesting. If he's a 4.5 guy he's definitely on the radar. If he's a 4.6 guy then probably not.

I think Ross is probably more like Lockett than anyone else.
    McGruff
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:52 am
  • NFSeahawks628 wrote:

For him to be great, he'll have to improve his hands. He doesn't seem to trust them at times, and often turns them the wrong way to catch passes, resulting in more body catches that he should be securing with his hands.

His speed is NFL great. His route running is college great. He has a ton of tools to work with. But it'll be his hands that will take the most work.

At this stage, Ross is probably still the best prospect. Lockett is a good comp. Although I think Ross has another gear that Lockett doesn't have. In particular, Ross has a gear before he hits top speed that affords him greater separation and give him better ability to create a seam to explode for huge plays. Both are quick, but I think Ross has an even greater ability to break away free and clear than Tyler.

Wouldn't be shocked if Ross has even faster top end speed.

What's really shown this year though, is Ross' route running. Very crisp. Very few lazy/rounded cuts. Demonstrates commitment to his craft. Bodes very well for him at the next level.

This draft looks very sneaky good for WR talent.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:08 am
  • Attyla the Hawk wrote:
    NFSeahawks628 wrote:

For him to be great, he'll have to improve his hands. He doesn't seem to trust them at times, and often turns them the wrong way to catch passes, resulting in more body catches that he should be securing with his hands.

His speed is NFL great. His route running is college great. He has a ton of tools to work with. But it'll be his hands that will take the most work.

At this stage, Ross is probably still the best prospect. Lockett is a good comp. Although I think Ross has another gear that Lockett doesn't have. In particular, Ross has a gear before he hits top speed that affords him greater separation and give him better ability to create a seam to explode for huge plays. Both are quick, but I think Ross has an even greater ability to break away free and clear than Tyler.

Wouldn't be shocked if Ross has even faster top end speed.

What's really shown this year though, is Ross' route running. Very crisp. Very few lazy/rounded cuts. Demonstrates commitment to his craft. Bodes very well for him at the next level.

This draft looks very sneaky good for WR talent.

Ross would fit in great with a QB that can throw ahead of his speed
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:39 pm
  • Play Jimmy Graham at wideout opposite Baldwin and you'll no longer need a "big" receiver. Stop paying him to be a "blocking" tight end.

Get rid of Jermaine Kearse.

Play Vannett/Willson tight end sets, have one of them block.

Tyler Lockett is an unknown, his injury was gruesome. Could be a long road to recovery. You need additional depth.

I'd rather have John Ross than Richardson. I'm a big Ross fan but I'm not entirely sure he'll go in the first 2 rounds. Teams might avoid him because they think he might be too small and has an injury history. If Ross falls, you take him if he goes to round 3. Remember what round Lockett was drafted, yup, same.

Baker will run the 40 at 4.3 and go in the second round. Baker is the next Tyrann Mathieu.

Sidney Jones runs a solid 40, he'll be a first rounder. Not a chance Seattle gets him.

I agree, Kevin King seems like the perfect Seahawks corner. If he is there in round 4, you snag him. Deshawn Shead is not starter material.
    "You know why I'm on Seahawks.net!" -Marshawn Lynch

Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions

Pete Carroll & Darrell Bevell be like: "Trust us--we're gonna outsmart them!"
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Rookie

Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:07 pm
  • John Ross would have the fastest time of any RG in history. :D
    "We have an opportunity to win multiple Super Bowls."
    -Russell Wilson
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:14 pm
  • Baker measured at 5-9 5/8, 195 pounds, with 30 5/8 arms. Height more or less as expected, weight, while not great, probably eases some concerns. Arms are short, roughly a half inch shorter than Earl Thomas and Tyrann Mathieu. Nothing stands out so far that would change his draft position dramatically. His measurements would limit him to playing in the slot or playing deep safety -- he lacks the length the Seahawks like in their outside corners.

If he can run sub-4.4 that would make him faster than both Earl and Mathieu and might solidify him as a first-round pick, given the role that slot nickel DBs have in modern defenses - making plays near the line of scrimmage and in the backfield. For the Seahawks he'd have the range to play single high safety as well. I personally like him better than Jabrill Peppers on defense because of his instincts and ability to make plays in deep coverage. Peppers does have the added versatility of playing on offense and especially as a kick returner.

If he runs well, depending on how the draft falls I'd take him at 26, and would be willing to trade up in round 2 as well.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:37 pm
  • I like Baker a lot. His instincts and ability to read plays is elite. I know he's a little smaller than Thomas but not as much as what some thought he would be. I think he could add weight and be pretty close to Earl's size.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:49 pm
  • Sorry I would not draft someone smaller then Earl, Earls problem isn't heart, speed or desire, it's having a body that is running into brick walls and the brick walls are beginning to win more then lose.

Baker has a lot of the same traits, he may be a player for a while but will have the same issues, one good injury and then he will be trying to recover from one or another issues for many years.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:02 pm
  • DJrmb wrote:You don't pass on a potential hall of fame player just because you have one at the same position. Baker could easily move to slot corner or even SS when Kam misses his annual 3 or 4 games until we're ready for him to take over for Earl.

Hall of Fame?

wow
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:19 pm
  • Smellyman wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:You don't pass on a potential hall of fame player just because you have one at the same position. Baker could easily move to slot corner or even SS when Kam misses his annual 3 or 4 games until we're ready for him to take over for Earl.

Hall of Fame?

wow

Yeah, that's my opinion. Did you have something to add?
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:01 pm
  • After his solid combine showing anyone think he will make it to our 2nd round pick.

Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:24 pm
  • possible but unlikely.
    "I don't know much, but I imagine that stomping my way through a field of seven-year-olds is the closest I'll ever feel to being Marshawn Lynch. Despite being limited to ten rushes, Lynch mowed through defenders like Zach Efron running into a bachelorette party in Vegas." -@JacsonBevens
    titan3131
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:57 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information