Who wants a USC rematch

cymatica

Reaction score
I think Washington would be ready and way more fired up than in the first meeting.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Not me.

Right now Utah up 7-0 thanks to a missed block in the back call that led to a punt return TD.

Go Colorado!

JSeahawks

Reaction score
cymatica":3bwiot02 said:
I think Washington would be ready and way more fired up than in the first meeting.

Just curious what makes you think UW wasnt hyped up and ready the first time? They sure looked intense and focused to me. They just lost to a better team. Or, if not a better team, a really good team that matches up real well against UW.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
USC is a very good team no doubt. USC gave them a punch in the mouth. Huskies weren't ready for that the first time. I think they would know how to play USC the next time around. Browning had his worst game against USC.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":11oof5r1 said:
hawkfan68":11oof5r1 said:
USC is a very good team no doubt. USC gave them a punch in the mouth. Huskies weren't ready for that the first time. I think they would know how to play USC the next time around. Browning had his worst game against USC.

USC had all the motivation to win that game not to mention major revenge on their minds. They were also coming off a two week home stand and were well rested and completely healthy.

Huskies were in a weird place... playing a bunch of weird games on the road against teams that had offbeat styles -- Utah, Cal, et. they came out flat, and played their worst game of the season, and they were banged up.

This time around, UW will have the revenge mindset. USC would be on a short week, and they got a bit banged up against Notre Dame.

Even though SC is a matchup issue, if I absolutely had to make put money on the game, I'd put it on UW. USC will get their A game next time, and I think the Trojans are a bit cocky right now. They were talking so much smack in the Notre Dame game, the Irish players started trying to hurt them, and wigging out and stomping on them and crap after the plays

That's assuming Utah can pull this out, which I am starting to doubt because the Buffs look like the better team.

Completely agree. Nice post Zman!

davidonmi

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":38l59q6i said:
hawkfan68":38l59q6i said:

USC had all the motivation to win that game not to mention major revenge on their minds. They were also coming off a two week home stand and were well rested and completely healthy.

Huskies were in a weird place... playing a bunch of weird games on the road against teams that had offbeat styles -- Utah, Cal, et. they came out flat, and played their worst game of the season, and they were banged up.

This time around, UW will have the revenge mindset. USC would be on a short week, and they got a bit banged up against Notre Dame.

Even though SC is a matchup issue, if I absolutely had to make put money on the game, I'd put it on UW. USC will get their A game next time, and I think the Trojans are a bit cocky right now. They were talking so much smack in the Notre Dame game, the Irish players started trying to hurt them, and wigging out and stomping on them and crap after the plays

That's assuming Utah can pull this out, which I am starting to doubt because the Buffs look like the better team.
we won't get to see it, but I would have liked to have seen us play them with browning on and a better offensive gameplan than the first meeting. You attack USC up the gut. for whatever reason we ran sideways and threw deep the whole game

Largent80

Reaction score
Lots of Husky excuses in this thread.

Fact is they got whacked at home. They weren't ready?....How can you even say that?

If I were a Husky fan I sure don't want to see USC again.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
One undefeated team in all of college football. Yes it's possible a college football team was not fully prepared for their opponent. Clemson, Michigan, Ohio State all suffered losses to lower teams than USC. Honestly all three squeaked out some wins against some poor teams as well.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
It's so cute to see fans of opposing teams pump up a school just because the school they root for is failing. USC is what their record says. There are many factors that influence individual games. They lost too many and their reward is a lesser bowl. There is no guarantee they even win as many games next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":3o2q4n7g said:
It's so cute to see fans of opposing teams pump up a school just because the school they root for is failing. USC is what their record says. There are many factors that influence individual games. They lost too many and their reward is a lesser bowl. There is no guarantee they even win as many games next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not like they played the best team in the country and a healthy Stanford team to start. Or that roadie in Utah they pissed away.

Right now, USC is better than Washington. But that's a pretty meaningless fact.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":1emg3yrd said:
Largent80":1emg3yrd said:
I hope they meet again.

Next year.

It's been a rubber match since Tye got booted... 3-3

Actually unless they meet in the conference championship game you're going to have to wait til 2019. The northwest schools alternate between UCLA and USC for two year cycles. For the next two years both Oregon and Washington will have home and homes with UCLA and USC will not be on their schedules.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":1ivtib9k said:
JSeahawks":1ivtib9k said:
The_Z_Man":1ivtib9k said:
Largent80":1ivtib9k said:
I hope they meet again.

Next year.

It's been a rubber match since Tye got booted... 3-3

Actually unless they meet in the conference championship game you're going to have to wait til 2019. The northwest schools alternate between UCLA and USC for two year cycles. For the next two years both Oregon and Washington will have home and homes with UCLA and USC will not be on their schedules.

They play next year, guarantee it.

December 1st, 2017.

UW"s not winning the north next year. Not after losing half their team to the NFL. Now in 2 or 3 years they might be back there. But not next year.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
We'll see. I expect uw's defense to stay really good. I expect their offense to return to being extremely average. John Ross's speed is what makes them difficult to defend and opens everything up for everybody else.

Petersons a good coach, a year ago many husky fans were questioning if he's the guy. One good year, I'm a bad pac12, isn't enough to convince me they're going to become a dynasty.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
JSeahawks":nvxudug2 said:
UW"s not winning the north next year. Not after losing half their team to the NFL. Now in 2 or 3 years they might be back there. But not next year.

I wouldn't be so sure there that their replacements will be worse. Petersen recruits and develops. This isn't the Willingham/Sark era where every player's entire career is as good as their freshman year.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Chico McClatcher has shown flashes that he could fill some of the speed that the would be missing when Ross leaves. I think where the Huskies will be hurt is the secondary with Baker, Jones, and King all leaving. Plus Gardenhire decided to leave as well. Hopefully Mathis decides to stick around for next year. Victor says he'll be back next year. If those two are gone, there will be a lot of holes to be filled on defense. Also, Vita Vea and Qualls are leaving too.That's a lot of attrition. But I do expect the Huskies to be better than the Ducks....that's not saying a lot. The bar is low, I know.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I'm just saying...people were saying the same thing last year and the year before. "We lose this guy...he was good...and he's gonna be replaced by some younger guy with less experience." But then guys came in and stepped it up, and other guys who remained on the team for next year improved a lot as well and are considered our studs. I see no reason to think that won't happen again. There will be guys playing next year we aren't as familiar with, sure, but they could very well be great players.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":2qpoofh9 said:
fenderbender123":2qpoofh9 said:
I'm just saying...people were saying the same thing last year and the year before. "We lose this guy...he was good...and he's gonna be replaced by some younger guy with less experience." But then guys came in and stepped it up, and other guys who remained on the team for next year improved a lot as well and are considered our studs. I see no reason to think that won't happen again. There will be guys playing next year we aren't as familiar with, sure, but they could very well be great players.

Also, each recruiting class has been an improvement. This is the first year we are really seeing the vast majority of the team as Peterson's OKG's. A few years ago we had just as much talent... and a ton of NFL draft picks - the remnants of Sarks best recruiting class, but we got better when they left (or in Peters case, booted) because they were not really part of this plan.

This seasons players were what? the 45th best class in the nation? The freshmen coming in are around 16th... which I don't think Peterson has ever had that level of talent to coach up before. Next year every player on this team will be one of his.

I'm not talking "Dynasty" here, we aren't going to be Alabama running for NC after NC... The west coast is not as rich in football talent a the south. Football has declined in California in a way it has not in Florida and Texas - states that are entirely built around football culture, but Peterson is the kind of coach that can make that work. He wins with less talent, which is ABSOLUTELY what you must be able to do in the Pac 12, which is why he has become successful and why he will probably be successful for the long haul, though nothing in life is certain.

It typically takes 5 years to build a program and he's done it in 3. Maybe next year is a step back, but we still have the most important cog, the QB. Something that Stanford lacks. Oregon has a budding QB but they essentially have to start from complete scratch on defense. If everything goes almost perfect next year for the Ducks (which I don't expect), they are looking at 7 or 8 wins. If the Huskies take a huge step back...(which I don't expect) it's ... ding 7 or 8 wins.

Next year the south will be stronger. It will take 10 or 11 wins to take the south, but in the north the first team to 9 wins takes it. That's the way I see it.

Coach Pete recruited in Cal, Ore, Washington State, and Texas while here in the Boise area. He has a wide area of recruitment to build on as he is gonna be in UW for a while. The High Schoolers are seeing what he is building and will be chomping at the bit to get there, those that are not going to the I am the best in the world schools, that is. As was said above in this string, Coach Pete molds and grooms the players in his style and has for his career in Boise and UW. He fills the gaps in knowledge and makes them better. He also has a level of class that he keeps his students attainable but no less. He has sat or kicked people off his team for failure to abide by the rules. That is no nonsense there.

So in summary, I think that TheDub has a lot going for it in the coming years as a Pac12 powerhouse.