Coaching carousel

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Strong out, Herman in at Texas.

Orgeron gets the interim tag taken off at LSU to become the official head coach. Lane KIffin is leaving Alabama to become the offensive coordinator at LSU. I believe that makes Sark the new OC at Alabama. **edit** that kiffin info is not official yet, but heavily rumored.

Purdue still has a job opening.
Oregon will have an opening on Tuesday.
Houston has an opening. Although I expect their defensive coordinator Todd Orlando to be named head coach.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
HawkGA":21k2w9xh said:
Why would Kiffin leave for another OC job?

He and Orgeron have a pretty close relationship apparently. Maybe get out of the shadow of Saban? I kind of figured he'd be inline for another shot at a head coaching job this year.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I LOVE Coach O. Love him. If he has a good OC, I think he gets a championship in Baton Rouge within 4 years.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Have heard a lot of rumblings about Kiffin to Houston FWIW

chris98251

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3q0oov3a said:
Houston has promoted their offensive coordinator, Major Applewhite (ex-Texas QB) to head coach.

Lane Kiffen can't stay out of a controversy, it is reported that he had the job initially and then boom he doesn't.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
chris98251":uunpmrdj said:
JSeahawks":uunpmrdj said:
Houston has promoted their offensive coordinator, Major Applewhite (ex-Texas QB) to head coach.

Lane Kiffen can't stay out of a controversy, it is reported that he had the job initially and then boom he doesn't.

He's definitely a guy who if he's hired half the fanbase will be pumped, the other half will be sceaming.

HawkGA

Reaction score
chris98251":i708nefl said:
JSeahawks":i708nefl said:

Well, media sucking has no favorites. They just suck.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Hey, JSeahawks, just curious, was this Oregon's first real head coaching search since 1977? Because it looks to me like every single coaching hire they've had since Rich Brooks left had been a coordinator elevation, whether Belotti, Kelly, or Helfrich. Just curious.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Maulbert":2h2bmnwc said:
Hey, JSeahawks, just curious, was this Oregon's first real head coaching search since 1977? Because it looks to me like every single coaching hire they've had since Rich Brooks left had been a coordinator elevation, whether Belotti, Kelly, or Helfrich. Just curious.

Yes sir, first time they've gone outside the program.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
chris98251":2wvnyn8m said:
JSeahawks":2wvnyn8m said:

Latest rumor is that Kiffin is in the running for the HC spot at FAU.

Edit: and now that deal appears to be dead, too.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... ing-block/

IndyHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1u7izgl5 said:
Maulbert":1u7izgl5 said:

That is amazing..Almost 40 years with no outside coaching hire..Too bad Don James coaching staff tree couldn't do the same at UW as he had some good coaches.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2rpl7zk0 said:
JSeahawks":2rpl7zk0 said:
Maulbert":2rpl7zk0 said:

That is amazing..Almost 40 years with no outside coaching hire..Too bad Don James coaching staff tree couldn't do the same at UW as he had some good coaches.

There are a few Duck assistant coaches who have been here through all that:

Gary Campbell, RB's coach has held the position since 1983. Not sure yet, but rumor is he might come back for one more year under Taggart before retiring.

Don Pellum, LB coach, started as a graduate assistant coach at Oregon in 1985, and before that from 1980-84 he was on the team. So he's been with the program for 36 years. He's probably retiring now.

Dont forget UW coach Chris Petersen came from that coaching tree as well. He was here for 5 years under Mike Bellotti.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
chris98251":3buf2naq said:
JSeahawks":3buf2naq said:

High school football coaches in Texas bombarded the Houston athletic department to let them know they didnt want their kids playing for Kiffin.... Ouch.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... ne-kiffin/