Playoff Seeding opinions

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Ok to start this out I am not a college guru I browse all the games and watch it passively.

What are your opinions on the rankings. These are the questions I have.

Why is Clemson such a dead lock for a playoff spot over any other 1 loss team? I see a good win @ FSU and Louisville but other than that I don't see much. I would love to read a good discussion to fill my blind spots.

Should OSU be the 4th seed since they are the only non conference champ?

Where does UW fall into and why and are regulated to 4th seed only?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I think it will end up:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Washington
4. Ohio State

Clemson and Washington will jump Ohio State since they win conference championships. Wisconsin/Penn State will win their conference but not make the playoffs. They''ll put Washington in 2nd or 3rd to get a west coast team in the Fiesta Bowl where the 2/3 matchup will be.

Alabama beats Ohio State. Clemson beats Washington. Rematch of last years final and Alabama wins again.

HawkGA

Reaction score
1. Bama
2. Ohio State
3. Clemson
4. Wisconsin/Penn State

I actually think the Huskies will get screwed out of a playoff spot because they don't have many good wins.

Clemson is coasting a bit on last year's rep.

HawkGA

Reaction score
One thing I am curious about is that I've read in at least two places the notion of picking playoff teams based on who would match up well against Bama. I think that is a horrible idea and would really harm the integrity of the sport. I think even sports people talking like that damages, if not the sport, at least their own brand.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":1jnx3ox1 said:
JSeahawks":1jnx3ox1 said:
I think it will end up:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Washington
4. Ohio State

Clemson and Washington will jump Ohio State since they win conference championships. Wisconsin/Penn State will win their conference but not make the playoffs. They''ll put Washington in 2nd or 3rd to get a west coast team in the Fiesta Bowl where the 2/3 matchup will be.

Alabama beats Ohio State. Clemson beats Washington. Rematch of last years final and Alabama wins again.

Did you think that through J?

If the Huskies are lucky enough to draw Clemson, that would be awesome. I'll take that match-up over any other team in the playoff field. Have you watched Clemson this year? They are totally rely over-reliant on Mike Williams, meaning they struggle mightily with teams that have good DB's and can limit his impact, and their major Achilles heal on D is an accurate QB because their defensive backs are gamblers.

The Huskies are a better version of every team that gave Clemson fits -- Louisville, Pitt, and Florida State.

If UW draws Clemson in the first round and it's played on the West Coast, I am absolutely giddy...

I'm not sure Washington is better then Louisville or Florida State. I think it would be a great game.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Washington is a more balanced team than any of the teams currently ranked behind them except possibly USC. If they beat Colorado that will be enough to get them #4. I do not see them moving up past that unless Clemson loses the ACC final.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":23mexmuo said:
1. Bama
2. Ohio State
3. Clemson
4. Wisconsin/Penn State

I actually think the Huskies will get screwed out of a playoff spot because they don't have many good wins.

Nearly every metric out there points to UW controlling their own destiny. Not sure where you get this from except maybe some southeast bias at work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":24fdfqg1 said:
I think it will end up:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Washington
4. Ohio State

I like the post till the Clemson part but you have been right more than I have this year..

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I feel very strongly that Penn State has ZERO business in the Playoffs. To me, it comes down to 2 things:

1. A 39 point loss should be an automatic disqualifier IF comparing to another conference champion or team with the same record. I'm sorry, but a playoff team doesn't get beat by almost 6 touchdowns.

2. The "eye test." Quite frankly, I see a team with several holes and a real lack of speed.

I know they have the Ohio State win, but that was by 3 points at home with tOSU playing their worst game, perhaps in years. It's still a win and I would say that's all that matters if they were my team, but still, I can't get over a 39 point loss. Also, their OOC schedule was terrible so I don't know why they would get the nod over UW (if they win). Bottom line, take away the tOSU win, and I think PSU has a really poor case to make.

The only way I see PSU getting in is if they absolutely destroy Wisconsin, which I really don't see happening. In fact, I think Wisconsin wins this one fairly easily. And for my money, Wisconsin lost it's Playoff berth by losing to 2 teams ranked higher than them, even if they were close games.

Unfortunately for the Playoff Committee, for my money, there's only one bonafide Playoff team this year, and that's Alabama.

davidonmi

Reaction score
JSeahawks":19vfz6pg said:
The_Z_Man":19vfz6pg said:
JSeahawks":19vfz6pg said:
I think it will end up:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Washington
4. Ohio State

Did you think that through J?

If the Huskies are lucky enough to draw Clemson, that would be awesome. I'll take that match-up over any other team in the playoff field. Have you watched Clemson this year? They are totally rely over-reliant on Mike Williams, meaning they struggle mightily with teams that have good DB's and can limit his impact, and their major Achilles heal on D is an accurate QB because their defensive backs are gamblers.

The Huskies are a better version of every team that gave Clemson fits -- Louisville, Pitt, and Florida State.

If UW draws Clemson in the first round and it's played on the West Coast, I am absolutely giddy...

I'm not sure Washington is better then Louisville or Florida State. I think it would be a great game.
FSU? maybe
Louisville? yes

HawkGA

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":16hhrrq5 said:
HawkGA":16hhrrq5 said:
1. Bama
2. Ohio State
3. Clemson
4. Wisconsin/Penn State

Nearly every metric out there points to UW controlling their own destiny. Not sure where you get this from except maybe some southeast bias at work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the committee has already shown a willingness to rank UW down. I think the Big10 is going to cause a problem with their Ohio State love but that they won't be conference champions.

Schadie001

Reaction score
Putting bias aside, which I realize is hard for some given the posts I have read. Going by what the current CFP rankings are not the AP/Coachs opinion polls which are garbage. Putting the top teams side by side going into the the Cenf championships it is very apparent which team should be in the conversation about being left out and which ones should not.

I am using the rankings from the last CFP poll not the bogus ones that happened in the AP/Coachs before the season started.

Alabama -Ranked opponents W/L. USC (12), TENN (17), AUB (13), Play FL (15) in Conf Ch. No losses

Ohio State -Ranked opponents W/L. OKLA (8), WIS (6), PSU (7), NEB (16), MICH (3) not in Conf Ch. Lost to PSU (7)

Clemson -Ranked opponents W/L. AUB (13), LOU (11), FLST (14) play unranked VT in Conf Ch. Lost to PITT unranked.

Washington -Ranked opponents W/L. STAN (24), UTAH (22), WAST (23), play COL (9) in Conf Ch, Lost to USC (12)

Wisconsin - Ranked opponents W/L. NEB (16) . plays PSU (7) in conf Ch. Lost to MICH (3), OSU (2).

Penn State - Ranked opponents W/L. OSU (2), plays WISC (6) in conf Ch. Lost to PITT, MICH (3).

Oklahoma - Ranked opponents W/L. play OKST (10). Lost to Hou, OSU (2).

Based on this I believe today the rankings for the top 4 teams correct. But one could argue that although Clemson played 3 higher ranked teams than Washington they lost to a unranked PITT where a 12th ranked USC beat WA. But next week if all teams win out those 2 positions should flip flop because WA will have beaten 4 top 25 teams and lost to USC (12) where Clemson will have beaten 3 top 25 teams and lost to an unranked PITT. The talk about the winner of the Big 10 moving up is bogus as both WIS and PSU only have beaten a single top 25 team before the conf ch game, which will only still give them 2 wins over top 25 but each has 2 losses as well. The resume against quality teams is not as strong and the fact they have 2 losses should not knock off a one loss team. If a one loss team has to come off then it should be Clemson without a doubt.

Ranking should look like this provided all top 4 teams (who play) win.

AL
OSU
WA
CL or WIS/PSU

HawkGA

Reaction score
Was talk on the radio this morning of Michigan staying in th playoff mix. I don't see that happening, but you never know.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
HawkGA":3lc0g1tq said:
Was talk on the radio this morning of Michigan staying in th playoff mix. I don't see that happening, but you never know.

As it stands right now they'd definitely be out. But if Washington and Clemson lose this weekend, who knows. I would imagine that Alabama is still in even if they lose their conference title game (which they wont).

HawkGA

Reaction score
I guess if both of those teams lose I could maybe see it. But you'd have to go the Big10 champ ahead of them, I would think. Stupid Big 10 manages to have a conference championship game without either of the conferences two best teams. Way to go!

Rat

Reaction score
HawkGA":7zr1ou6r said:
I guess if both of those teams lose I could maybe see it. But you'd have to go the Big10 champ ahead of them, I would think.

I don't think they would if Penn State wins an ugly game. Michigan destroyed them in their head to head matchup. The conference championship helps, but I don't know how much the voters will value it in this circumstance.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I don't see Ohio State dropping below Washington.

I think it ends up being:

Alabama
Clemson
Ohio State
Washington

BUT - here in Columbus we're pretty nervous about the Big 10 championship game. I think Wisconsin will win, but if PSU beats them 59-0 (what we did to them two years ago), the committee gets put in a nightmarish scenario because they could realistically bump Ohio State out for Penn State.

Thankfully we have the best resume in the country after Alabama and it's not even close.

HawkGA

Reaction score
As an Alabama fan and being from Washington (but the WSU side of the state), I would love to see a Bama-UW matchup. I think Ohio State stays at #2. I just don't see any reason the committee would drop them down.

nategreat

Reaction score
I just think having only 4 playoff teams is silly. Make it at least 8 to avoid all potential problems- or maybe 12 teams, with the top 4 getting round 1 byes.

HawkGA

Reaction score
nategreat":yisz7tj7 said:
I just think having only 4 playoff teams is silly. Make it at least 8 to avoid all potential problems- or maybe 12 teams, with the top 4 getting round 1 byes.

Or we could just get rid of the regular season entirely and put all teams in a playoff immediately, with seeding randomly assigned.