Can we talk about the impending Washington vs Alabama game?

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Assuming Washington beats Colorado in the Pac 12 Championship they will 99.9% remain at the #4 spot in the college football playoff, scheduled to meet Alabama in the semi-final peach bowl.

I am admittedly a Gators fan living just outside of Florida but I've always kept my eye on the Huskies and obviously like when they do well.

I am somewhat completely ignoring the fact that the Gators are even playing in the SEC championship because I have never been so sure of a game in my life. I should probably bet on it, but I digress. There is little to no chance they beat Alabama.

I don't want to get into too much specifics because I'm actually unsure how much people are even interested in the possible matchup. I'd say talent wise Alabama has somewhat of an advantage from recruiting but different teams (offense, defense, special) The two teams matchup evenly outside of one area. RUN DEFENSE. This is where I think Alabama is going to walk over Washington late, and while I hope I'm wrong, I wouldn't bet on it.

That being said I hope Washington upsets them and ruins Alabama's perfect season.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2u69q4s0 said:
I dont think it ever happens.

Its going to be Washington vs Clemson, imo.

Why do you think OSU gets dropped from 2 to 4? I could see Clemson skipping over them, not 2 spots.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3v6m06ln said:
JSeahawks":3v6m06ln said:

Why do you think OSU gets dropped from 2 to 4? I could see Clemson skipping over them, not 2 spots.

Partially just because Clemson and Washington will both have an extra win, and a conference championship while OSU just sits dormant. Partially because I think its in the best interest of the playoff committee to have Washington in the Fiesta Bowl. Need to get a west coast team there for ticket selling purposes. And Fiesta hosts the 2/3 matchup.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2ra0w6rr said:
Uncle Si":2ra0w6rr said:
JSeahawks":2ra0w6rr said:

Partially just because Clemson and Washington will both have an extra win, and a conference championship while OSU just sits dormant. Partially because I think its in the best interest of the playoff committee to have Washington in the Fiesta Bowl. Need to get a west coast team there for ticket selling purposes. And Fiesta hosts the 2/3 matchup.

Have to agree with you, It is ALL about money now.

davidonmi

Reaction score
I too think there's a very good chance UW ends up in the 3/2 matchup if they win.
We'll see.
UW would maybe beat clemson and would keep it close vs tOSU

not sure they would reach double digit points v bama tho

HawkGA

Reaction score
Pretty sure Alabama would curb stomp the Huskies.

Oh, and if everybody wins as expected this weekend, I expect the top 4 to remain exactly as is. I don't know why anybody thinks OSU will get bumped down. I think the more realistic possibility is the Huskies squeak by Colorado and the committee has Michigan leap frog them. I don't think they should, I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
HawkGA":3rzslhwl said:

Oh, and if everybody wins as expected this weekend, I expect the top 4 to remain exactly as is. I don't know why anybody thinks OSU will get bumped down. I think the more realistic possibility is the Huskies squeak by Colorado and the committee has Michigan leap frog them. I don't think they should, I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

I don't see that happening at all. If Michigan's 2-loss resume should be considered better than Washington's 1-loss due to strength of schedule, then they'd already be ranked ahead of them. If Washington wins tomorrow night, even by 1 point, they'll be adding a win over a top 25 school, and Michigan will have one of their wins against a top-10 team changed to a win against a top 25 school. Plus, Washington will be adding a conference championship to their resume. Michigan will not. I would be VERY surprised if that happened.

And I think UW matches up well with Alabama, and can at least keep the game close.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I can see the point of dropping the value of one of Michigan's wins, but I think the common opponent comparison will factor more heavily. Again, not saying it should, just my guess on what the committee might do.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
fenderbender123":173b1ppy said:
HawkGA":173b1ppy said:

I don't see that happening at all. If Michigan's 2-loss resume should be considered better than Washington's 1-loss due to strength of schedule, then they'd already be ranked ahead of them. If Washington wins tomorrow night, even by 1 point, they'll be adding a win over a top 25 school, and Michigan will have one of their wins against a top-10 team changed to a win against a top 25 school. Plus, Washington will be adding a conference championship to their resume. Michigan will not. I would be VERY surprised if that happened.

And I think UW matches up well with Alabama, and can at least keep the game close.
I love this post and in earlier threads I had UW giving Alabama fits but that was before they lost a couple of their best front defensive players.They may suprise people but I'm not going to kid myself-it's going to take an effort from hell to do it.The one thing I will say CP with have UW ready to play in such a game..Remember @Boise State his team beat the #2 team in the country(Oklahoma)..It has happened and can happen

davidonmi

Reaction score
I'm still not sold on UW staying at 4.
However if they do I think they can give bama problems on defense especially if mathis returns.

offensively, I still need to see it from browning in a big game where things aren't going as planned.

24-10 Bama. similar game to USC.

I'm not sure anyone is gonna do much better vs bama period