MInnesota football players boycotting

dutchcoug

Reaction score
I really don't want to play a 5-7 Northern Illinois team. Minnesota players need to suck it up and play.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
dutchcoug":emi6mk13 said:
I really don't want to play a 5-7 Northern Illinois team. Minnesota players need to suck it up and play.

Sucking it up so WSU has a better matchup is not why they should play.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Gotta love how the school treats these players as guilty until proven innocent. Apparently the "victim" is on video clearly enjoying herself in the moment as is usually the case. Good for these players for sticking up for their teammates, especially since they were suddenly suspended without any specific reason.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2ib959p2 said:
Gotta love how the school treats these players as guilty until proven innocent. Apparently the "victim" is on video clearly enjoying herself in the moment as is usually the case. Good for these players for sticking up for their teammates, especially since they were suddenly suspended without any specific reason.

I suggest you read a bit more into the case, because the bolded part is only a small part of the entire incident.

And the reason has been given to the players.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2rw218r0 said:
fenderbender123":2rw218r0 said:

I suggest you read a bit more into the case, because the bolded part is only a small part of the entire incident.

And the reason has been given to the players.

The entire article kept referencing the one incident and the one female accuser.

And then near the end it says:

"We got no answers to our questions about why these kids are suspended, when they were just found not guilty by the law," Wolitarsky told reporters after reading the players' statement. "He [Coyle] basically told us that he didn't have answers, and that led us to believe that this is kind of unjust."

Not saying there isn't more in other articles, but I didn't see any other articles linked here, so I can only comment on what was posted in this thread.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
It's probably not the appropriate place to discuss, but I'll do my best to not turn into a PWR thing...

Accuser one has shown video of victim and consensual activities. However, there is every bit of evidence to suggest this turned from one person to atleast 5 and what she referenced as "a dozen men." So a 30 second video only shows a minute part of the event.

The additional 5 players were suspended until further investigation can be completed and a hearing held. That's the reason. Lawyers can get involved all they want, but the university has a right to hold council on the event and determine their own consequences. There is no innocent until proven guilty" on campus. They have chosen to suspend the players until that hearing. I do not agree that they named the players, but it would've come out when they didn't play anyways. Also, think of a victim of these types of incidences. She is essentially guilty of lying until she can prove her assailant is not innocent.

You made a comment to the effect that "as usually is the case." Not only does the UofM athletic department have a very tumultuous couple years of experience with these incidences, but colleges and college sports are dealing with them at an alarming and sickening rate. While the police do not want to move forward with this any longer, the University has chosen to determine if its athletes have broken their athletic contracts or school and Title 9 rules.

UofM is a clown show of an athletic university.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Yeah I just kind of disagree with the reaction to these incidents and the way they are handled. I don't believe that these sorts of things are happening at a higher "rate" in college than they are anywhere else among teenagers and people in their early 20s who party a lot. I'm not saying it isn't an issue, but it seems like they're trying to swing the pendulum too far in the other direction to correct it...like jerking the steering wheel when starting to fishtail on an icy road.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
fenderbender123":6skd6ojz said:
Yeah I just kind of disagree with the reaction to these incidents and the way they are handled. I don't believe that these sorts of things are happening at a higher "rate" in college than they are anywhere else among teenagers and people in their early 20s who party a lot. I'm not saying it isn't an issue, but it seems like they're trying to swing the pendulum too far in the other direction to correct it...like jerking the steering wheel when starting to fishtail on an icy road.

I would disagree with that at every level. And there is alot of evidence that reflects that not only are these assaults way up at universities but that they are not being handled appropriately or effectively.

But... that's for a different internet forum. In this particular case, the U chose to make a statement before a bowl game (a big one for this university by the way).

the whole incident is extremely confused though. For example, 5 players were initially "suspended" because they could not attend a home game due to a restraining order put on by the victim, who apparently works the games (cheerleader maybe?)

Its the sports abyss here. Nothing ever makes sense

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1z36eu6r said:
fenderbender123":1z36eu6r said:

I would disagree with that at every level. And there is alot of evidence that reflects that not only are these assaults way up at universities but that they are not being handled appropriately or effectively.

But... that's for a different internet forum. In this particular case, the U chose to make a statement before a bowl game (a big one for this university by the way).

the whole incident is extremely confused though. For example, 5 players were initially "suspended" because they could not attend a home game due to a restraining order put on by the victim, who apparently works the games (cheerleader maybe?)

Its the sports abyss here. Nothing ever makes sense

I disagree and could type up a novel why, but like you've been saying we can't talk about that kind of stuff here anymore, so I won't post anymore on this subject.

dutchcoug

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1vf4jife said:
dutchcoug":1vf4jife said:

Yeah, a 5-7 team from a smaller conference that has stopped practicing because they thought the season was over is way tougher than an 8-4 team from a power 5 conference. :roll: If it were your team would you want to play some crappy fill-in team?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
dutchcoug":hqo9wjut said:
Uncle Si":hqo9wjut said:
dutchcoug":hqo9wjut said:

Yeah, a 5-7 team from a smaller conference that has stopped practicing because they thought the season was over is way tougher than an 8-4 team from a power 5 conference. :roll: If it were your team would you want to play some crappy fill-in team?

I think you're missing his point.

Geologic

Reaction score
I have a feeling like Minnesota is trying to swing it like the Duke Lacrosse rape case

This is destroying people's lives, these players could not get transfers out of this school mid season because of this investigation. They were not charged by the police by the way.

So yes, I do believe innocent until proven guilty when it comes to things that could potentially ruin people's careers.

I don't believe the players would take this polarizing unpopular stance if they didn't think their teammates were completely innocent.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I wish this was Alabama instead..I can't really say either way who is right on the topic because not all the imfo is out there but it looks like some players feel like they didn't do anything to deserve being punished,

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
JSeahawks":32tp5rlv said:
They ended the boycott. Minnesota will play in game. Said they realized they couldnt win.
Here's their statement.

"After many hours of discussion within our team, and after speaking with President Kaler, it became clear that our original request of having the 10 suspensions overturned was not going to happen," the statement said. "Our senior group had a meeting with President Kaler and AD Mark Coyle last night, Friday the 16th, where they agreed to the following requests: That all ten of these players have a fair hearing -- which includes a diverse review panel. Number two, a showing of support for our team and the character shown by the great majority of our players. Finally, that we as a team will use our status as public figures to bring more exposure to the issue of sexual harassment and violence against women."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... liday-bowl

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Although it wont matter now, if they did not play in the bowl game, do the funds from sources financing the game that go to the conference not go to that conference? Would that next team's conference get the financial gain from the Bowl Game?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":3ql0wamj said:
Although it wont matter now, if they did not play in the bowl game, do the funds from sources financing the game that go to the conference not go to that conference? Would that next team's conference get the financial gain from the Bowl Game?

They would have been replaced by somebody else. So the replacing teams school would have got the benefit.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JSeahawks":i24r2ve4 said:
dutchcoug":i24r2ve4 said:
Uncle Si":i24r2ve4 said:
dutchcoug":i24r2ve4 said:

I think you're missing his point.

Very much so... (not to mention glossing over playing a team with 10 suspended players). But yay! WSU gets its game!

The boycott was ended when the players were able to read the allegations and each suspended players involvement. take that as you want.

with the full report "leaked" it seems (as I alluded to earlier) that each player's suspension was levied for a valid reason. Some of these players were involved in what appears to be (for fenders sake) a terrible crime. Others for not being forthright or honest in their answers to the school regarding the incident.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
If you lower the burden of proof to a preponderance of evidence, it makes it a piece of cake to find people guilty.