Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Christian McCaffrey skipping the Sun Bowl

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Largent80 wrote:With this kind of logic, why even have bowl games? A team plays as a team for a goal (a bowl game) and now we have a completely different set of rules because a player is so worried about getting hurt that he bows out of the team goal?

What is the point of even having a goal?

Answer?....GREED and MONEY.

I can guarantee with 100% certainty that not a single Stanford player or coach had a goal of going to the Sun Bowl.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I love this thread. I totally get both reactions, but have to say, I absolutely agree w/ CM here. And I bet you that many Stanford grads have taken enough business courses to know that this is absolutely the right economic decision for CM, his future, and his family. When you're weighing millions of dollars, potentially enough to set yourself and your family up for life, over the Sun Bowl, it's pretty hard to ignore the math. I respect players who choose to finish it out, but absolutely understand why CM made the decision.

Very few of us are fortunate enough to be blessed with a multi-million-dollar talent like his, and there's no shame in wanting to make sure you get a chance to reap the rewards of that before your career ends. Yes, a scholarship is not nothing, but as others have pointed out, it is dwarfed by a) what the NCAA/Stanford makes off him, and b) what he has an opportunity to attain if he doesn't get hurt.

That being said, he has to know that his teammates will remember it. Some will understand, some won't, and a lot (particularly the ones who don't have NFL prospects) will resent it, especially if the team loses. That's the cost of making this decision. And if he's a grown man who can handle the consequences of his decision (including any consequences it has in terms of how teams, fans, or teammates view him), how does that make him a p*ssy, or soft?

Part of being an adult is making hard decisions and living with the consequences. In fact, decisions like this are likely to be a much larger portion of the rest of his life than anything directly related to football. Get back to me if he whines about people resenting him for it, but I'm guessing he won't.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:I'm so glad our coach doesn't care for players wimping out on bowl games,I don't think we will be drafting any of those types :2thumbs: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... owl-games/ (PC's words)

Yea, it sure would suck to have a wimp like Leonard Fournette on the SEahawks.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• JSeahawks wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:I'm so glad our coach doesn't care for players wimping out on bowl games,I don't think we will be drafting any of those types :2thumbs: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... owl-games/ (PC's words)

PC won't have it so accept it man.I think there is a bunch of rb's we can get who will do more for less.Ones who are team players not me players.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:I'm so glad our coach doesn't care for players wimping out on bowl games,I don't think we will be drafting any of those types :2thumbs: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... owl-games/ (PC's words)

PC won't have it so accept it man.I think there is a bunch of rb's we can get who will do more for less.Ones who are team players not me players.

If Fournette was on the clock when we were picking i'd bet PC would pull both hamstrings running up to the podium to make the pick, even after he skips out on his teams bowl.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Seahawkfan80 wrote:So he is going off of his resume at Stanford and not gonna finish to go off of the bowl game. Sounds like a Loser that has his own interests at heart above the team's. That aughta make him some brownie points in the draft.

Great point at the New Year's 6. If they would chop down the everyone gets a trophy for participation bowl, then these games would have more meaning. Of course that may be the point of all the games too. Maybe they are trying to showcase a lot more recruits for the nfl so they can have a lot more UDFAs making it big. I suppose it all comes down to what is being taught in economics. I dunno...

One play away from never playing again.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• Look what happened to Tyler Lockett, Marcus Mariota and David CArr yesterday.

Still think McCaffrey should play in an absolutely meaningless game?
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• He sure did not take after his dad.He was a player who didn't think scared.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:He sure did not take after his dad.He was a player who didn't think scared.

His father wasn't considered a first round prospect like he is. I think Shock Linwood is stupid to be sitting out, but guys like McCaffrey and Fournette? I can't blame them. Their teams probably don't even care if they win their games. I'll bet a lot of deep reserves end up getting time for Stanford in the Sun Bowl.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• JSeahawks wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:

If Fournette was on the clock when we were picking i'd bet PC would pull both hamstrings running up to the podium to make the pick, even after he skips out on his teams bowl.

"Sorry Leonard, I know you're compared to Adrian Peterson but the Citrus Bowl is serious business. You won't be a Seahawk so just accept it man."
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• McCaffrey would be stupid and completely irresponsible with his potential NFL career by playing in a meaningless game.

We see it almost every year. Top round talent gets A) hurt B) in trouble with the law C) pinned as "high risk" and the guy misses out on MILLIONS because he got bumped back a round or two.

You would be an absolute fool to not control these factors if/when you can.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• fenderbender123 wrote:This is good. We want the ratings on lower tier bowl games to be hurt by this, so that maybe they will start getting rid of them so that the bowl games that do get played will actually have more meaning.

This.

I want all of the participation bowl games gone. Leave the Rose Bowl, as well as the Sugar, Orange, Cotton, and Fiesta bowls. Actually, the Sun Bowl is one of the oldest ones, so keep that. Someone snuck the Fiesta Bowl in back in the 70s, and I kind of would like to see it fail, because it's ridiculous that it's been elevated to the level of Rose and Sugar.
    "We have an opportunity to win multiple Super Bowls."
    -Russell Wilson
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

• Threedee wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:This is good. We want the ratings on lower tier bowl games to be hurt by this, so that maybe they will start getting rid of them so that the bowl games that do get played will actually have more meaning.

This.

I want all of the participation bowl games gone. Leave the Rose Bowl, as well as the Sugar, Orange, Cotton, and Fiesta bowls. Actually, the Sun Bowl is one of the oldest ones, so keep that. Someone snuck the Fiesta Bowl in back in the 70s, and I kind of would like to see it fail, because it's ridiculous that it's been elevated to the level of Rose and Sugar.

A little birdy told me it used to be called the Siesta bowl...but everyone got tired of it so they changed the name. :sarcasm_off: :stirthepot:
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• SeatownJay wrote:He's decided to join Leonard Fournette in skipping his team's bowl game to prep for the NFL draft. Personally I think this is the beginning of a terrible precedent where, unless the team is playing in a New Year's Six bowl game, the best players start skipping them to protect their NFL prospects.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story ... i-sun-bowl

Recap:
    Fournette - skips bowl - 4th overall pick
    McCaffrey - skips bowl - 8th overall pick
    Jake Butt - plays in bowl, tears ACL - 145th overall pick

If you're an elite prospect and you're not in the playoff, forget the New Years Six since Butt tore his ACL in the Orange Bowl and Jaylon Smith blew his knee the year before in the Fiesta Bowl .. why even risk it?
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Hasselbeck wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:He's decided to join Leonard Fournette in skipping his team's bowl game to prep for the NFL draft. Personally I think this is the beginning of a terrible precedent where, unless the team is playing in a New Year's Six bowl game, the best players start skipping them to protect their NFL prospects.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story ... i-sun-bowl

Recap:
    Fournette - skips bowl - 4th overall pick
    McCaffrey - skips bowl - 8th overall pick
    Jake Butt - plays in bowl, tears ACL - 145th overall pick

If you're an elite prospect and you're not in the playoff, forget the New Years Six since Butt tore his ACL in the Orange Bowl and Jaylon Smith blew his knee the year before in the Fiesta Bowl .. why even risk it?

Yep, the strategy paid off huge for Fournette and McCaffrey. This will become the new norm. All the agents will be recommending this as well as skipping the Senior Bowl, etc.

And as guys will begin skipping New Year's games, then finally we may see a transition to a larger college playoff and phasing out of the bowl system.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• I hate the Bowl skipping as you see in older posts above BUT if it leads to phasing out the stupid bowl system
    I love it .I hope it leads to playing 2-3 more games in playoffs instead of holding out for one.
    I will always root against any player that skips out on their team for selfish reason(s)
    I don't care how it worked out for them in the draft.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• I just read this about Jake Butt. I wonder if all these players have "loss of value insurance"

Thanks to "loss of value insurance" for his injury, Butt will be awarded $543,000 for slipping all the way to the fifth round, according to ESPN's Darren Rovell. Had he not torn his ACL, Butt may have been selected as early as the second round.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bro ... li=BBnb7Kz
    replicant
    NET Rookie

• replicant wrote:I just read this about Jake Butt. I wonder if all these players have "loss of value insurance"

Thanks to "loss of value insurance" for his injury, Butt will be awarded $543,000 for slipping all the way to the fifth round, according to ESPN's Darren Rovell. Had he not torn his ACL, Butt may have been selected as early as the second round.

Very interesting. I'm sure most highly touted prospects can seek special insurance just like racehorse owners in the event of catastrophic injury. I cannot imagine what the premiums might be.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• West TX Hawk wrote:
    replicant wrote:I just read this about Jake Butt. I wonder if all these players have "loss of value insurance"

Very interesting. I'm sure most highly touted prospects can seek special insurance just like racehorse owners in the event of catastrophic injury. I cannot imagine what the premiums might be.

College Students taking out Injury insurance at high premiums, who is paying for this stuff, we need a NCAA investigation.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Previous

It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:30 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information