Christian McCaffery - Seahawky or nah?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Now that Christian McCaffery is officially in the NFL Draft and done with college football - early mocks are forecasting him to be a late 1st round pick, right within our range.

Understanding the other needs the team has at this point (namely OL, WR and defensive depth) .. would you like Christian McCaffery as a late 1st/early (if we trade out of the 1st as we typically do) 2nd round pick?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I love McCaffrey. Probably my favorite college player to watch the last couple years. He feels pretty redundent with CJ Prosise for us though.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":1t0ugwih said:
"Nah, I don't want to help my team win the bowl game they have worked their ass off for all these years... all these teammates who will NEVER see an NFL paycheck who are putting their bodies on the line in the trenches blocking for me, well, screw them and their dreams... I'm looking out for #1."

I do not want that selfish dude on my team. You know now, he's looking out for #1... he's not going to go to the line to get your team the win. It's not as important to him as his paycheck and his status.

Teams full of those types of players, LOSE.

So hell no. I want nothing to do with him.

You dont like smart dudes?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":284gdiz9 said:
"Nah, I don't want to help my team win the bowl game they have worked their ass off for all these years... all these teammates who will NEVER see an NFL paycheck who are putting their bodies on the line in the trenches blocking for me, well, screw them and their dreams... I'm looking out for #1."

I do not want that selfish dude on my team. You know now, he's looking out for #1... he's not going to go to the line to get your team the win. It's not as important to him as his paycheck and his status.

Yeah.. not sure I see it that way. Honestly, #1 here is College football, not him or any other player. He's just trying to make it out uninjured.

It is selfish, but also a reality put on him by the NCAA.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Why do have a horrible sinking feeling that McCaffrey will drop right down to the Patriots.

Welker, Edleman..........McCaffrey is exactly the type of hybrid back/receiver that NE falls ass backwards into getting.

So here? Sure. Anywhere but NE!!

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Yeah I'd be down with that.

I sincerely believe that Seattle's 'needs based' drafting style has vastly underperformed the last 4 years.

It worked fine, when any great player would grade well because our roster was junk. But once this team started to collect quality players, we began to pass up on good talents in favor of mediocre/poor talent (respective to draft stock) for no other reason than 'need'.

The draft should always be about adding difference making talent. Use UFA to stem the need bleed.

McCaffery appears redundant today. But when Procise or Rawls goes down again and we're looking at starting Alex Collins -- we're going to wish we had McCaffery on the roster instead of some god awful OT who rates in the bottom 5 of the entire NFL by way of PFF/Fans eyes. Even despite Cable's love for his intangibles that don't factor a lick in executing a basic block.

I want Seattle to start getting great players again. This team is already right now in the initial mix of a full on roster rebuild. Who are our next core of players past 2018. Because that's when the guys picked in 2010-12 are going to start needing to be replaced. The names on the jerseys will still be the same. But they'll just not play the same. At some point today's Richard Sherman is going to be 2010's Marcus Trufant. A onetime great player who just doesn't play great anymore.

This team needs to flush in the next core. At whatever position possible. It wouldn't be hard to go through the list of need based picks between 2013 and 2015 to see how we would have been vastly better served to double up on a position of perceived need. Because today's strength is one play away from being tomorrow's need.

McCaffery is a game changing talent. Like Procise, equally able to line up in the backfield or out wide. There are plenty of options where both Procise and McCaffery could complement each other together on the field at the same time. Seattle loves to go 4 wides. Imaging bringing in 21 personnel package only to motion out to empty, with McCaffery and Procise matched up on LBs.

If it came down to McCaffery or some offensive tackle that 20 other OL starved teams felt comfortable letting go off the board -- I think I'd opt for the RB in this case.

I'd likewise make this same case for great safeties (FS or SS) which should be available in this class.

If John Ross is on the board, I would much prefer him to whatever is left over at OT/OG in round one.

There are a handful of players that appear to be real difference makers in this draft. Many of these prospects play a position that appears to be set today. As a team, Seattle should outright expect that many of our core players are going to be lost to injury every season from here on out. It's the nature of the game and the expected result of the toll on these players' bodies.

At this point, other than QB, I think I'm open to drafting any position on this club. We need to start to assemble the next core group that will take this team on their shoulders in 2019-2024. Game changing talents -- you can't just order those on a menu. When they present themselves to you, you either take them or you don't.

I would rather we take them, even if there is some redundancy. Because the current wear on our core guys is starting to show.

McGruff

Reaction score
JSeahawks":dji70304 said:
I love McCaffrey. Probably my favorite college player to watch the last couple years. He feels pretty redundent with CJ Prosise for us though.

My thoughts as well. In the NFL he's likely a pass catching back with some utility use, which we already have, and can be found elsewhere pretty cheaply. Don't see a reason in our offense to invest a high pick at the position.

If we were a team that threw the ball 40+ times a game, sure.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":21p7rx23 said:

Stanford's goal was never to win the Sun Bowl.

And good for him, he should looking out for himself. He already plays a position that has a shorter career than any other in the NFL, why would he risk a serious knee injury (See Jaylon Smith) for the opportunity to play in the Sun Bowl.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
McCaffery had a great college career. That doesn't mean he will be "great" in the NFL. Toby Gerhart was another Stanford RB that was stellar in college, how did his NFL career turn out?

This draft is loaded with solid RBs....they could get Samaje Perine, Wayne Gallman, or possibly D'onta Foreman in later rounds.

Not saying they shouldn't consider McCaffery if he's available but if Budda Baker is there, I'd rather they choose him or if a lineman like Ramcyzk or Roderick Johnson is there, maybe go that route.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawkfan68":23amimif said:
McCaffery had a great college career. That doesn't mean he will be "great" in the NFL. Toby Gerhart was another Stanford RB that was stellar in college, how did his NFL career turn out?

This draft is loaded with solid RBs....they could get Samaje Perine, Wayne Gallman, or possibly D'onta Foreman in later rounds.

Not saying they shouldn't consider McCaffery if he's available but if Budda Baker is there, I'd rather they choose him or if a lineman like Ramcyzk or Roderick Johnson is there, maybe go that route.

To be fair though McCaffrey is NOTHING like Gerhart. Come on lol.

If anything he's like a love child of Darren Sproles and Wes Welker/Julian Edelman. I agree with Sgt Largent, he screams Patriot.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
My opinion is the guy is too small and will be a bust..So no I hope the Hawks do not waste a pick on him

Rat

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1c97ba3k said:

:187734:

Gerhart and McCaffrey? That's like comparing C.J. Prosise to Alex Collins.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
I like him but I think his stats have been propped up by Pac 12 defenses. I definitely don't like him in the bottom of the first.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
McCaffery will be a Patriot. D'onta Foreman is the RB the hawks will want, IMO.

Blaze808

Reaction score
If we didn't draft Procise I'd be all in on McCaffery. I'm not entirely convinced that the Pats will draft him; I think they have line issues they have to address. I like D'onta Foreman at the bottom of the 1st.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Trrrroy":25riuivo said:
McCaffery will be a Patriot. D'onta Foreman is the RB the hawks will want, IMO.

I wouldn't mind Foreman, he has a little Jonathan Stewart to his game.

The guy I really coveted was Nick Chubb, but of course he's staying put.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
I wonder how much it would cost for McCaffery to take out a $20 or $30 million dollar insurance policy for a single game? Could Stanford foot the bill for that? That way he could play and they'd be doing right by a player with high earnings potential.