Grueling workouts put multiple Oregon players in hospital

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NBCSports/status/821187814826082304[/tweet]

The Willie Taggart era at Oregon is barely a month old, and already the first crisis has arrived.

A report from The Oregonian uncovered that at least three Ducks football players have been sent to the hospital after undergoing grueling workouts administered by new strength coach Irele Oderinde, who followed Taggart from South Florida. Offensive linemen Doug Brenner and Sam Poutasi and tight end Cam McCormick are in “fair condition” at Springfield’s PeaceHealth Sacred Heart Medical Center at Riverbend, where they have remained since late last week.

Poutasi has reportedly been diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis, a soft tissue condition triggered by overwork that can lead to kidney damage.

While those three players remained hospitalized, The Oregonian reports the rest of the team was required to complete the same workouts this week:

The sources said that some players “passed out” and others later complained of discolored urine, which is a common symptom of rhabdomyolysis. After testing, others were found to have highly elevated levels of creatine kinase, an indicator of the syndrome.

“The safety and welfare of all of our student-athletes is paramount in all that we do,” Oregon said in a statement to The Oregonian. “While we cannot comment on the health of our individual students, we have implemented modifications as we transition back into full training to prevent further occurrences.

:141847_bnono:

JSeahawks

Reaction score
According to other players they weren't that grueling. Jordon Scott, a 345 pound early enrollee who just got to Oregon made it through them just fine. I'm thinking a few players have not been doing their winter conditioning. It was 4 days with one hour of military style training each day... pushups, up-downs, etc, etc.

The Lazy Helfrich era is over, Thank God.

(And I realize that it sucks that kids were hospitalized and you never want that to happen).

cesame

Reaction score
There's no excuse for 3 kids to end up in the hospital. This is just dumb.

Someone has some explaining to do.

drrew

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1mq419wz said:
According to other players they weren't that grueling..

The report on ESPN, possibly quoting the Oregonian says:

**Multiple sources described the workouts to the Oregonian as "akin to military basic training, with one said to include up to an hour of continuous push-ups and up-downs."**

Some may not think that qualifies as "grueling", I think it qualifies as abuse.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
drrew":3jsyf2qx said:
JSeahawks":3jsyf2qx said:
According to other players they weren't that grueling..

The report on ESPN, possibly quoting the Oregonian says:

**Multiple sources described the workouts to the Oregonian as "akin to military basic training, with one said to include up to an hour of continuous push-ups and up-downs."**

Some may not think that qualifies as "grueling", I think it qualifies as abuse.

The Oregonian is famous for trying to inflame situations. The players themselves, who were in the hospital, are joking about it. From the mouths of the players, they were allowed to take breaks any time they needed too. There were also some who couldnt do the workout so just sat on the side doing situps or other activities.

I agree, if players are ending up in the hospital, something was wrong and something needs to be looked at. But lets not get suckered in by the sensationalistic media without the whole story.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
After watching Oregon this last season, I'm not surprised. Helfrich obviously didn't have a lot of these players in shape, and Taggart is fixing that.

You can prevent players from having to go to the hospital if you accept less out of them and don't hold them accountable for completing the workout. But if you do that, then you are sending the message to the players that it's okay to not put in all the work, and will wind up with a mediocre (at best) team. So which is it...? Well, considering Oregon is an FBS school in a power conference, I think you have to emphasize winning. Besides, if any players aren't in physical condition to complete a workout, they are free to quit the team.

And like J pointed out, it's an article from the Oregonian, who is famous for making mountains out of nothing.

drrew

Reaction score
fenderbender123":61is1jth said:
You can prevent players from having to go to the hospital if you accept less out of them and don't hold them accountable for completing the workout.

No offence, but that line of thinking is abhorrent.

From Dennis Dodd article today: Since 2000, at least 21 players have died basically from overexertion -- not from a blow to the head or a hit that left anyone paralyzed......They died basically because they were run/exercised to death in the offseason or in practice. Usually without pads or hitting. And not in games.

I guess from your line of thinking, those 21 just weren't tough enough.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I'm not sure where you're going with this. Did any Oregon players die? And honestly, 21 people in 16 years out of probably around 20 million people who have played the game of football during that time is really really good. People die doing many things. You have to accept the risks if you want the rewards. That's how life has always worked, and always will work.

drrew

Reaction score
JSeahawks":39szadfg said:
Strength coach suspended 1 month with no pay.

Also no longer reports to Taggart, reports now to the Director of Performance and Sports Science.

Read somewhere that this guy (Irele Oderinde) has no formal background in any sort of Sports Science, that he's basically a glorified personal trainer. I realize he has a history with Taggart, but seems like Oregon could do better.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
drrew":2o07pfwr said:
JSeahawks":2o07pfwr said:
Strength coach suspended 1 month with no pay.

Also no longer reports to Taggart, reports now to the Director of Performance and Sports Science.

Read somewhere that this guy (Irele Oderinde) has no formal background in any sort of Sports Science, that he's basically a glorified personal trainer. I realize he has a history with Taggart, but seems like Oregon could do better.

Nah, players love the dude already.

sondevil89

Reaction score
The only thing more abhorrent than this is trying to downplay or make excuses for it. These are kids whose parents have sent their children to school expecting that they will be protected. The young men in the hospital are facing permanent damage to their organs. That is completely unacceptable in the amateur athlete system.

The NCAA should sanction any school who behaves in this manner.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... -pay-month

cesame

Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned the guy should lose his job.

Not only did he send 3 kids to the hospital, but he has no credentials or any form of education to back this stupid workout. Sounds like it was all stupid ego BS. When you base your workout on stuff like "teach them who's boss" this is what happens. Maybe if the coach had any formal education in this area he would know this. I'll say it again, he has no formal credentials or certifications.

Workouts are supposed to be carefully planned to get the most out of athletes. What was done here is straight up BS. It doesn't matter what the players think about it because they don't know any better. They trust the coach to take care of that. That didn't happen here.

At the end of his month long suspension he needs to be let go. Coach Rad blows this guy out of the water in this field.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
cesame":d7w8hi5o said:
At the end of his month long suspension he needs to be let go. Coach Rad blows this guy out of the water in this field.

I've been hoping for years that they'd replace Coach Rad. His techniques are great for track and field, and some of the other sports. He has not made our football players big or powerful enough.

sondevil89

Reaction score
fenderbender123":1pccissd said:
Lol @ the overreactions

Several young athletes are sent to hospital, not to just be checked out, but admitted for several days with a life threatening condition directly attributable to a reckless employee?

That's overreacting?

Wow.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
The coach has to get these players into good enough shape to be competitive. Also, many players signed up to be trained and developed into power conference caliber players. Should their opportunity be removed because a few guys were so out of shape that they couldn't handle it? Do you think any of those guys would have volunteered to sit out of the training if the coach would said "if anyone is too out of shape to handle these workouts, please let me know so we can find something easier for you"?

Since it's apparently such a simple situation to handle, I'd love to hear what anyone else would have done to please all parties involves.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
sondevil89":2wukw7ro said:
fenderbender123":2wukw7ro said:
Lol @ the overreactions

Several young athletes are sent to hospital, not to just be checked out, but admitted for several days with a life threatening condition directly attributable to a reckless employee?

That's overreacting?

Wow.

The players were giving the choice to stop and take a break any time they felt they needed to. And nobody's life was ever endangered. Coaches recognized the symptoms and told them they should go to the hospital. Its not like they were raced in an ambulance on the verge of life or death.

sondevil89

Reaction score
JSeahawks":s93g5aga said:
sondevil89":s93g5aga said:
fenderbender123":s93g5aga said:
Lol @ the overreactions

That's overreacting?

Wow.

The players were giving the choice to stop and take a break any time they felt they needed to. And nobody's life was ever endangered. Coaches recognized the symptoms and told them they should go to the hospital. Its not like they were raced in an ambulance on the verge of life or death.

You're couldn't be more wrong, "Rhabdomyolysis is a condition in which damaged skeletal muscle tissue breaks down rapidly. Breakdown products of damaged muscle cells are released into the bloodstream. Some of these, such as the protein myoglobin, are harmful to the kidneys and may lead to kidney failure."

The fact that it was multiple players is telling. Have you been in a hospital lately? They do not keep you anymore unless it is serious AND guess what? No kidneys, no life.

Given the choice? Really? In a peer-pressure driven environment where not following along can be seen as weakness? Apparently, you've never played football if you can't comprehend how that works.

Anyone with half a brain knows you don't start athletes who have been off for six weeks on an intense regimen. AND, every player needs to be evaluated individually to assess their fitness level before you even think about instituting a program. It is not a one-size-fits-all.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMHT0024696/

sondevil89

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3r6sj31u said:
The coach has to get these players into good enough shape to be competitive. Also, many players signed up to be trained and developed into power conference caliber players. Should their opportunity be removed because a few guys were so out of shape that they couldn't handle it? Do you think any of those guys would have volunteered to sit out of the training if the coach would said "if anyone is too out of shape to handle these workouts, please let me know so we can find something easier for you"?

Since it's apparently such a simple situation to handle, I'd love to hear what anyone else would have done to please all parties involves.

Oregon's new strength coach Irele Oderinde came along with coach Willie Taggart from South Florida. Oderinde is listed on Oregon's website has having a bachelor's degree in recreation administration and a master's in sport management.
"He doesn't have a degree in exercise science," Hoffman said. "He doesn't have a minimal qualification to do what he's doing. If any of these kids sue, [Oregon is] screwed."
Jay Hofman, past president United States Strength Coaches Association
http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... l-players/

Such a simple situation to handle? They have been in the hospital for nearly a week with levels off the charts. It sounds like you need to get in touch with these doctors and lend them your expertise, clearly they are overreacting.