Jabrill Peppers, what am I missing?

knownone

Reaction score
Why is this kid not a top 10 pick?

Admittedly, I'm still early in my armchair scouting season, but Peppers looks like a faster slightly less refined Darren Woodson. I've seen a lot of Budda Baker and Malik Hooker and would much rather have Peppers.

What am I missing here?

penihawk

Reaction score
What is he in the NFL is the big question. Not a true S and not a prototypical LB build. I would think with the success of Buchanan,Thompson,Cravens etc. as hybrid players, he will be a 1st rd pick. Especially after the combine and workouts when numbers become the craze.

I love the guy as a football player because the few games I watched him in he had an impact at every spot he played. I would love to have the guy personally. :D

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
He's a hybrid player. But the problem for him will be that if you're looking at S, this draft is stuffed to the nines with quality there.

I see him slipping to day 2. If the S class was average, he'd probably merit day one. Maybe some team will take him early. But Peppers' problem is that relative quality is just so good. Any team that does take him will weather all manner of criticism should he not be able to translate to an effective role at the next level. Not many teams are willing to do that.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ll-peppers

Where he needs to improve: Peppers is inconsistent in off coverage. He operates from a side shuffle, and is late to drive on in-breaking routes, allowing too much separation. He also will get caught flat-footed at times, allowing opponents to get on top of coverage. He also gets away with a lot of grabbing down the field. That should be an easy fix. He caught the ball naturally on offense, but he dropped two interceptions in the games I studied. He put himself in position to make the plays, but he needs to finish with the ball.

Biggest takeaway: I'm excited to see how Peppers is used this fall. The plan is to move him to linebacker and allow him to attack the line of scrimmage. I think that will be a great fit for his skill set. He can blitz, cover tight ends and chase plays from the backside. He is in the same mold as recent first-round NFL draft picks Deone Bucannon of the Arizona Cardinals, Shaq Thompson of the Carolina Panthers and Keanu Neal of the Atlanta Falcons. I think he will have a bigger impact on a weekly basis in this new role for the Wolverines.

cover-2

Reaction score
A handful of years ago, I remember seeing this big freshman CB playing for LSU and was like "who is freak athlete", it was Patrick Peterson. When Peppers went to Michigan I thought he had a chance to be the next Patrick Peterson. I was kind of disappointed when Michigan had Peppers playing Safety and was even more disappointed when they moved him to LB. Yeah, he put up big stats but playing multiple positions really hurt his development.

Reaction score
He would be the Perfect prospect for what we wanted to do with Brandon Browner. If he would fall to us and there is a good chance he does I would pull the trigger in a heartbeat. We need some youth on defense and speed. We can worry bout the offensive line with some of the picks in the rest of the draft.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1bgve18t said:
He's a hybrid player. But the problem for him will be that if you're looking at S, this draft is stuffed to the nines with quality there.

I see him slipping to day 2. If the S class was average, he'd probably merit day one. Maybe some team will take him early. But Peppers' problem is that relative quality is just so good. Any team that does take him will weather all manner of criticism should he not be able to translate to an effective role at the next level. Not many teams are willing to do that.
Well, if he slips into Day 2, and the Seahawks end up losing their second pick, and he could have been picked there then I will be extremely disappointed!

I thought a potential combo of drafting Peppers and Budda Baker would have been awesome!

But losing the second round pick can be devastating.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I would definitely be doing the draft "happy" dance if he ends up in Seattle. I have watched this kid play and he was the most dynamic athlete on that squad. I have thought he looked very 'Seahawky'.

cover-2

Reaction score
IMO the Seahawks coaching staff can bring out the best of secondary prospects than any other team in the NFL. I could see coach Carroll, a former college DB, taking a vested interest in coaching up Peppers. Peppers has the size and athleticism to play anywhere in the secondary if coached up.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
cover-2":2eat75be said:
A handful of years ago, I remember seeing this big freshman CB playing for LSU and was like "who is freak athlete", it was Patrick Peterson. When Peppers went to Michigan I thought he had a chance to be the next Patrick Peterson. I was kind of disappointed when Michigan had Peppers playing Safety and was even more disappointed when they moved him to LB. Yeah, he put up big stats but playing multiple positions really hurt his development.

Peppers doesn't have Peterson's speed, thats why he was moved to safety.

If he were 3 inches taller he'd be Kam.

I think he's closer to the prototypical SS than Kam is. Kam is a just a freak and we lucked out there. Peppers is still a really good prospect IMO with a very high ceiling.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":347w7lj4 said:
cover-2":347w7lj4 said:

Peppers doesn't have Peterson's speed, thats why he was moved to safety.

If he were 3 inches taller he'd be Kam.

I think he's closer to the prototypical SS than Kam is. Kam is a just a freak and we lucked out there. Peppers is still a really good prospect IMO with a very high ceiling.
He is also 30 pounds lighter than Kam. I don't think that comparison really fits.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Testing will be important.

Seattle isn't averse to finding the square pegs and chiseling out a round hole so that it fits. Peppers seems to be that kind of athlete. A guy who just has a gravitas about him and makes game changing plays.

Those are the kinds of prospects we've targeted in drafts. I don't think Seattle will be too deterred by his tweener status. But he's going to have to test like the presumed athlete he is.

poplarbluffman

Reaction score
and deone Buchanon was a great college safety..so was Mark Barron..both playing wlber now...
pff college gave him a 2nd rd grade as a cb

how big and how fast/well he test sat the combine will determine when he gets drafted. don't see a Polamalu or Mathieu when I watched him.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Saw a mock having him going to the Titans at #5. Writer's reasoning was that Dick Lebeau could try to use him like Troy Polamalu.

cover-2

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":u19cnyfs said:
Saw a mock having him going to the Titans at #5. Writer's reasoning was that Dick Lebeau could try to use him like Troy Polamalu.

For me he is a top-15 pick. I agree that Peppers best comp is to Troy Polamalu. Peppers is similar in size/weight and an elite athlete for a SS like Polamalu.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Peppers is a legit 4.3 guy on the 40 yard dash. I'd take him in a heartbeat and look let him play CB

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
He will be gone early day one. He is an athletic freak, and is that hybrid safety that is the craze in the NFL. Also, having harbaugh as a coach will boost his stock. This is still pre draft. Wait til the numbers on this guy come out at the combine, he will be top fifteen at worst. Some team will take a chance.

Edit:. I think fear of the next team getting him will boost his stock also. Can't risk letting your opponent get potentially the next game breaking talent.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Peppers measured at 5-11 flat, 213 lbs, with short (30 3/4") arms... his lack of length might take him way down our draft board, or maybe off of it.

Interested to see how Buddha Baker measures.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
He practically has the shortest arms of any defensive player at the combine. With arms that short, his only positions in our scheme are free safety or slot cornerback. Or punt returner/slot wide receiver. The Hawks have shown they are willing to take a dynamic punt returner (Lockett) in the 3rd round, so thats probably around where the Hawks have him graded.