Draft and college eligibility question

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I have a question regarding college eligibility and the draft. If a player is not chosen during the draft (i.e. Joe Mathis, Husky) can they go back to college? He was injured so could he get his eligibility back or not? Then come back and improve his draft odds next year.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Mathis was a senior, so he's out of eligibility no matter what. I believe as soon as a guy hires an agent then he cannot return to college no matter what happens. I'm sure most guys hire an agent as soon as they decide to turn pro.

If somebody hypothetically entered the draft, went undrafted and never hired an agent... then I don tknow.

sondevil89

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3vastmqn said:
I have a question regarding college eligibility and the draft. If a player is not chosen during the draft (i.e. Joe Mathis, Husky) can they go back to college? He was injured so could he get his eligibility back or not? Then come back and improve his draft odds next year.

Once you declare for the draft you lose all eligibility.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
sondevil89":2ylzq4gm said:
hawkfan68":2ylzq4gm said:

Once you declare for the draft you lose all eligibility.

This. There are other ways to lose eligibility as well (hire and agent etc.) -- but to get drafted you have to declare. And that declaration revokes all remaining eligibility.

If it didn't, Players could enter the draft, and if they didn't like the outcome, could just go back to school and re-enter the following year.

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Thanks all for the clarification on draft and college eligibility. Makes sense.