Kicker: Austin Rehkow

nwHawk

Reaction score
If we want to move on from Hauschka, maybe we'd consider Spokane's own Austin Rehkow. Senior from Un of Idaho.

Top 4 place kicker and punter: http://www.ourlads.com/nfl-draft/

[youtube]T8rfEVs5W94[/youtube]

[youtube]ouqHDfwPr7o[/youtube]

He kicked a 67 yarder in a game as a high school senior! He had numerous college offers, but chose UI. Might have been a good choice considering he got to kick a lot, rather than going to a school that scored tons of TDs.

At 6'3", he's similar in size to Hauschka. He's also a punter, which eventually could serve two purposes once John Ryan retires. John will be 36 this year.

I'm not advocating to dump Hauschka, but if we do, I consider drafting this kid.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Huh, I remmeber this kid being in the news here in Spokane. Had no idea were he went though. I've often wondered why a kicker couldn't punt as well. I would think Pete would love an extra roster spot.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1x18x557 said:
I've often wondered why a kicker couldn't punt as well.
John Madden once explained that he didn't want a double-duty kicker/punter because the mechanics of the leg muscles and tendons are different. Specifically, punting contracts the achilles tendon while kicking extends it. Over time, going back and forth wears it out and decreases efficiency of both.

sutz

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":3i7td97e said:
Natethegreat":3i7td97e said:
I've often wondered why a kicker couldn't punt as well.
John Madden once explained that he didn't want a double-duty kicker/punter because the mechanics of the leg muscles and tendons are different. Specifically, punting contracts the achilles tendon while kicking extends it. Over time, going back and forth wears it out and decreases efficiency of both.
Then there's the whole 'lose one/lose both' scenario, too. ;)

Optimus25

Reaction score
I like the elevation immediately off his foot, opposed to hauschka who seemed to be line driving too much.

I'm game, but let's not be like the Dumbass Bucs and reach in the second round...