My goal for this draft

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Would be to come away with one of the two great running back prospects (Fournette or Cook) and defensive depth. If one of them falls below around spot 14 then I'd want to see a trade up, which I'm usually against.

What is your priority? Assuming most will say OL.

sondevil89

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":o9n871ya said:
Would be to come away with one of the two great running back prospects (Fournette or Cook) and defensive depth. If one of them falls below around spot 14 then I'd want to see a trade up, which I'm usually against.

Generally, unless they are true impact players (top-10), running backs are considered too big a risk for 1st rd picks. I would have to agree with that assessment. Until the Seahawks can build a decent O-Line it isn't going to matter anyway.

pcbball12

Reaction score
While I would love to have either one of those guys, I would not trade up into the teens this year. We are already low on draft capital, and potentially even losing our 2nd (I doubt we lose our 2nd but we are already down a 4th and 5th). Unless one of them miraculously fall into the low 20's, where cost would not be too much I cannot see a trade up scenario. Like most years (and even more so this year) I expect a trade down in the first to try and get some draft capital back.

As far as what I want. I want a legitimate talent opposite Sherm. Shead played fine all year, sometimes good. But, he doesn't really take advantage of the opportunities that are there. His technique allows him to be close to make a play, but he just isn't a legitimate playmaker. If we could have a guy opposite of Sherm that would make QB's pay for picking on him, it would change everything. I love Kevin King and would not care one iota if we spent a 1st on him. I believe he would be a difference make day one. Ideal length, great athlete, competitive as hell, and tackles very well.

Also, I want some depth at S (either FS or SS). I love Tedric Thompson from Colorado. Think he could start right away, but if he was brought in behind Earl and Kam I would feel fantastic about the depth there and the future of that spot with guys aging. I just think the defense and secondary need an injection of youth. They need young dogs in there to push them....like really push them.

If we can add an OLB that could start at SAM I would love that as well. If they don't go CB in the first, I would love a guy like Zach Cunningham in that spot.

I would look to add a 3 technique DT that can rush from base in Free Agency (Calais Campbell is a dream scenario of mine, wouldn't mind Kawan Short either). The one position Seattle has shown willingness to get in FA is DL. Having a 3 technique that can rush early downs like that would put this defense over the top. I would also look to add OL through Free Agency (particularly LT or RT). Either bring in Whitworth on a 1 year deal so Fant can sit another year, or bring in a guy like Reiff to start at either LT or RT (he has played both so whoever they feel more comfortable with between Fant and Gilliam). I feel fine about interior 3 OL going forward.

There is enough money to extend guys like Kam and Graham (which will actually free up a few mil this year if put together right), grab these FA, and pay your draft picks.

cover-2

Reaction score
My main goal would be to infuse our defense with some more playmakers. We could land a few defensive studs in the first three rounds of the draft. Then with one of our 3rd round picks I would target a player to play RT. Finally, use later round picks on a RB and a athletic TE.

I want us to target this guy in the later rounds of the draft...
[youtube]2Nm0wImu8UM[/youtube]

[youtube]OQ7zr4YZGFY[/youtube]

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":r3u7of9c said:

Those aren't goals so much as 'best case scenario'.

If one of those are available, we run to the podium. If one slips to the 20s, we probably pull a trade. But I don't see any chance of that.

It's an odd year for OL. Not like the past several drafts with a handful of alpha OT talents. Really seems like a bunch of guys that start off grading about similar to Ifedi and maybe a shade under Decker. Looks like a bigger pool of guys that should be in the 45-75 range than normal. Guys that likely aren't day 1 ready (~20% chance to start). In all, not a bad draft for the position but may take a bit of time to get them contributing.

chris98251

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3gcpolwx said:
Maelstrom787":3gcpolwx said:

Those aren't goals so much as 'best case scenario'.

If one of those are available, we run to the podium. If one slips to the 20s, we probably pull a trade. But I don't see any chance of that.

It's an odd year for OL. Not like the past several drafts with a handful of alpha OT talents. Really seems like a bunch of guys that start off grading about similar to Ifedi and maybe a shade under Decker. Looks like a bigger pool of guys that should be in the 45-75 range than normal. Guys that likely aren't day 1 ready (~20% chance to start). In all, not a bad draft for the position but may take a bit of time to get them contributing.

Oh so your saying a bunch of Seahawks Guards in the draft this year ?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Do we need an RB?

I liked both Prosise and Rawls this season, and Collins at the end. I'd put RB near the bottom of the list

OL
CB
DL

HawkGA

Reaction score
RB would be a luxury, as far as I'm concerned. Need players we have to step up. Too many other needs.

Largent80

Reaction score
Evidently the OP didn't notice were starting an actual safety at CB opposite Sherman, and that safety went down with an ACL. Then we lost our starting Safety to injury. There is no doubt we need backup safety or CB.

That leaves us with Lane, who had a dreadful year, and 4 very raw, PS players.

We need DB in the worst way.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
This would be nice. I love this kid, he is so Seahawky. Boom factor and can return kicks. Dynamic to say the least.
[youtube]NJB4a1jNem4[/youtube]
And for those that say he isn't fast enough to play DB, Jim Harbaugh has a great description of his speed.
[youtube]C2Nkqz7w6so[/youtube]
LOL. This dude emotionally expresses what many feel watching Peppers play. He is a freak athlete.
[youtube]OhlW6jz5DGY[/youtube]

Blaze808

Reaction score
DJ got us picking Garett Bolles in the first. I like that pick obviously for our situation, but if Cable switches him to RT I'll freak out.

ivotuk

Reaction score
First and foremost, I want a defensive back. We are thin, and while Lane and Shead are serviceable, we need to boost the depth. Especially considering teams like Atlanta and Green Bay who are always going to be in the hunt for the playoffs.

Here's some good info from Rob

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I don't see Cook or LF7 falling to the range where we'd have the ammo to go get him. Would be incredible though if it happened.

Feel like our needs are as follows:
CB
OT
WR
RB
DL (pass rush in particular)
S (depth, Kam's eventual replacement perhaps?)
TE (if Graham doesn't return)
LB (depth)
P/K (I think we need to look long and hard at comp for Ryan and Hauschka [if Hausch returns])

I really think we address a few of these in FA this offseason. But man, it just shows how quick your roster can have its depth plucked away. 2013 our backups were a playoff team.. now we need a lot of depth.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Behind this line you could get Ezekiel Elliott himself and barely outperform Christine Michael.

Im all in on cj and want depth at LB, secondary, and OL.

We're just in the position that we have to take OL flyers and see if one can stick. TJ lang came out of the fourth round, for example.

sondevil89

Reaction score
Optimus25":yrwtrglt said:
Behind this line you could get Ezekiel Elliott himself and barely outperform Christine Michael.

Im all in on cj and want depth at LB, secondary, and OL.

We're just in the position that we have to take OL flyers and see if one can stick. TJ lang came out of the fourth round, for example.

The Seahawks have been fortunate to have success with quite a few late round picks and UDFA's...BUT, from a statistical point of view, the odds of that happening are very small. In fact, the chances that a 1st rounder hangs around for five years is 71% while the odds for a 4th rounder are 17%.

Problem is, there are only two OT's in this draft that are worthy of a 1st round pick. If either are available, take them, otherwise, best talent available.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/5/13 ... ick-around

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3k7ybf6m said:

What you said, coupled with a couple good FA o linemen, and it is Superbowl bound. They could pull it off too, but won't. Unfortunately, there is no way they would trade up for Fournette or cook.