UW better step up their recruiting game

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Or Chris Peterson is going to be the CFB's version of Andy Reid. Just another coach that can rack up wins during the regular season but never quite able to get over the postseason hump.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
USC fan?

Since 2008 you have been either first or second in the pac 12 recruiting rankings every single year... most often first. In that time frame you havnt won a pac 12 championship.

We've all been beating you with your leftovers for years.

chris98251

Reaction score
The real test of a coach isn't how kids are rated out of High School, but how they are rated their final season, UW and other schools have been putting guys in the NFL for years that were not 4 star recruits, Don James put USC to shame with that practice for many years.

OP
OP
Trrrroy

Trrrroy

Reaction score
I agree to an extent. Oregon has put together amazing teams with less than great recruiting classes, but how many national championships did that bring them? Especially now with the playoff system you need talent. Peterson is a great coach, but so is Harbaugh, so is Saban, so is Meyer. The difference at that point is talent, and those teams consistently have better athletes.

And no, J, I'm a UW fan through and through.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Trrrroy":2qtj9bwv said:
I agree to an extent. Oregon has put together amazing teams with less than great recruiting classes, but how many national championships did that bring them? Especially now with the playoff system you need talent. Peterson is a great coach, but so is Harbaugh, so is Saban, so is Meyer. The difference at that point is talent, and those teams consistently have better athletes.

No team has won a natty in The last 20 years, without at least one top 10 recruiting class on its roster.

cesame

Reaction score
Trrrroy":2f9ox6gt said:

Oregon put together like 3 recruiting classes in a row where they were around 10 or 11 in the country. They were recruiting with the big boys for the most part.

Really is odd that UW couldn't turn their playoff appearance into a better recruiting class. Not sure what to make of it, but having a top 5 coach in college football makes up for a lot of it.

That said Sam Darnold and USC..... not good for the rest of the PAC. Thankfully Oregon doesn't play them the next 2 years.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
cesame":1jwvlsg4 said:
Trrrroy":1jwvlsg4 said:

Oregon put together like 3 recruiting classes in a row where they were around 10 or 11 in the country. They were recruiting with the big boys for the most part.

Really is odd that UW couldn't turn their playoff appearance into a better recruiting class. Not sure what to make of it, but having a top 5 coach in college football makes up for a lot of it.

To be fair to UW, they did have a pretty small class. If you go by average recruit score they'd be 13th in the country.

What was really impressive is Stanford. Their class finished 14th in the country with only 14 players. They landed 3 of the top 15 players in the country.

drrew

Reaction score
UW recruiting is perfectly fine. More four star recruits in this class than UW has ever gotten.

Foster was never coming, losing Marlon hurt the class, but in Jones, Bryant, Cook, and Bynum they added a WR/TE class that rivals any in the country. Molden and Taylor replace Jones and King almost like for like at CB, and I think Salvon Ahmed will be a star.

2_0_6

Reaction score
The huskies arrived on the scene a year earlier than everyone thought they would. This program was in shambles when he took over, and I think he has done a damn good job so far assembling a squad.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Trrrroy":3ac90mg7 said:
Or Chris Peterson is going to be the CFB's version of Andy Reid. Just another coach that can rack up wins during the regular season but never quite able to get over the postseason hump.
You dont understand recruiting

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
cesame":18eyjhhp said:
UW took 17 players in this years class. 13 (15 counting Marlon and Wedington) of them had been committed since before the game vs USC. That means a majority of the class had been locked in way before the playoff appearance.

It was a small class that has been locked in way before any important games. 8 top 300 players, more 4 stars than ever and a 3.5 average star. Regardless, it was a very good class.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":3o7x96v1 said:
The huskies arrived on the scene a year earlier than everyone thought they would. This program was in shambles when he took over, and I think he has done a damn good job so far assembling a squad.

I wouldnt say the program was in shambles. The program was in better shape then what the vast majority of new coaches take over. He inherited a hell of a lot of talent from Sark. He just had to tame the talent.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
I'd say Petersen knows what he's doing regarding recruiting. You don't have the success he had at Boise and knock off a couple powerhouses without knowing how to maximize recruiting resources as well as coach up such talent. To make the playoff in just his 3rd year is well ahead of schedule.

Hawks46

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3cw6zwem said:
cesame":3cw6zwem said:
Trrrroy":3cw6zwem said:

To be fair to UW, they did have a pretty small class. If you go by average recruit score they'd be 13th in the country.

What was really impressive is Stanford. Their class finished 14th in the country with only 14 players. They landed 3 of the top 15 players in the country.

What's even more impressive is how they did it with their academic restrictions.

I'd say the only problem with the UW recruiting class is that they didn't sem to get a stud DT prospect, which is going to go from a strength to a weakness pretty quickly unless they get a couple guys in there. Then again, i don't know a ton about the depth already on the team.