Rd-6/7/UDFA - CB's, Brenden Langley vs: Tyler Williams?

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I can easily see the value in a later round pick of Lamar CB-Brenden Langley, his 40 time and kick returner #'s and 6-INT must be what drives his ranking. However, in terms of overall passes defended, Williams has 27 (#1 in FCS) with 4-INT vs: Langley's 13 (#25 in FCS) with 6-INT, so WHY is Langley ranked RD-6-7 and Williams isn't rated -at all-, anywhere? They are both in the same small school conference and are of very similar size? Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of film to study for these guys from smaller schools. At this point in time, Williams spells "sleeper" to me.

CB-Brenden Langley(215 @ cbssports.com), Lamar, 6-002/199, est. 4.40/40 (FCS-Southland conference)
2016: 11-games, 7-PBU, 6-INT, 2-TFL, 1-FF, = #25 in FCS/passes defended.
Langley was a Senior Bowl participant.

CB-Tyler Williams(NR @ cbssports.com), Central Arkansas, 6-001/194, est. 4.52/40 (FCS-Southland conference)
2016: 13-games, 23-PBU, 4-INT (1 for TD), 2-TFL, 1-FF = #1 in FCS/passes defended. (7 more than #2 on the list).

Langley also returned kicks (pretty well) which I'd guess adds some value, but this much? If Langley's 40 time is driving his ranking, how is that so important when you have one of the best CB's of all time (Sherman) that ran in the mid 4.5's already on your team? To my eyes, total passes defended is the important #. IMO- a guy that more than doubles the # of passes defended should be at least ranked equally or perhaps even higher as a DB. Pre-draft testing will say a lot.
:smilingalien:

cover-2

Reaction score
Camano you do love these late round UDFA's prospects don't you. : )

The problem with Langley is that he doesn't have the Seahawks required arm length of 32 inches. So he is most likely off their board because of it.

So if Williams passes the arm length test of 32 inches, then I would bet that Williams would be a late round option for the Seahawks.

Here is a highlight video of Williams...

[youtube]zFfZIM6cfho[/youtube]

cover-2

Reaction score
My favorite late round CB is Michigan's Jeremy Clark. Clark might have the best size and length of all the CB's in the draft. He is 6-4 210 lbs and it looks like he has 33 + inch arm length. I have been talking about Clark since last year and hopefully the Seahawks can get him late in the draft or as a UDFA.

[youtube]tmqi-eDHxvs[/youtube]

poplarbluffman

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":18jfrhbp said:
I can easily see the value in a later round pick of Lamar CB-Brenden Langley, his 40 time and kick returner #'s and 6-INT must be what drives his ranking. However, in terms of overall passes defended, Williams has 27 (#1 in FCS) with 4-INT vs: Langley's 13 (#25 in FCS) with 6-INT, so WHY is Langley ranked RD-6-7 and Williams isn't rated -at all-, anywhere? They are both in the same small school conference and are of very similar size? Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of film to study for these guys from smaller schools. At this point in time, Williams spells "sleeper" to me.

CB-Brenden Langley(215 @ cbssports.com), Lamar, 6-002/199, est. 4.40/40 (FCS-Southland conference)
2016: 11-games, 7-PBU, 6-INT, 2-TFL, 1-FF, = #25 in FCS/passes defended.
Langley was a Senior Bowl participant.

CB-Tyler Williams(NR @ cbssports.com), Central Arkansas, 6-001/194, est. 4.52/40 (FCS-Southland conference)
2016: 13-games, 23-PBU, 4-INT (1 for TD), 2-TFL, 1-FF = #1 in FCS/passes defended. (7 more than #2 on the list).

Langley also returned kicks (pretty well) which I'd guess adds some value, but this much? If Langley's 40 time is driving his ranking, how is that so important when you have one of the best CB's of all time (Sherman) that ran in the mid 4.5's already on your team? To my eyes, total passes defended is the important #. IMO- a guy that more than doubles the # of passes defended should be at least ranked equally or perhaps even higher as a DB. Pre-draft testing will say a lot.
:smilingalien:

remember looking at a small school guy who had the identical pd as Williams 2 years ago..went undrafted, signed as an udfa amonng 1st rd of cuts and recently cut from his Canadian football team

I like pd as much as anyone..but be very careful to rely on stats from small school guys. didn't see much burst but very zone aware. There was a reason Langley played in the Senior Bowl . Langley also tested as one of the fastest players at senior bowl.

not sure 31 3/8 arms would be a deal breaker in the 5th/6th rd....but hoping to find any player you like in that area in the draft isn't a plan but a prayer.
best safe cb that fits will likely be Rasul Douglas

Rasul Douglas West Virginia 6'2 204 32 1/8 arms 1st team Big 12 JC kid 70 tackles a s a senior 8 int Senior Bowl really trusts his eyes good kid underrated No. 8 overall grade in nation at 86.9. per pff
nfldraftresearch