Budda Baker

Seafan

Reaction score
Hope the Hawks grab him if he falls to them. KC will likely try to move up to get him if the Hawks show interest.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I'm fully on board with grabbing Baker somewhere between the 2nd and 4th rounds. Depending on the speed he shows at the combine maybe even in the 1st. He's the only guy I've seen coming into the draft that screams Earl Thomas to me. His physicality, instincts, and ability to read plays is beyond incredible and he's got the rare ability to make sure tackles on guys when knifing into running plays at full speed. My only concern is that he played a lot closer to the line later in the season and when going up against more elite teams (with Rapp playing single high or Earl's role). I don't know if that was because he didn't have the speed to play single high safety against elite talent or if it was just because they wanted his play-making ability closer to the LoS for more opportunities to make plays. He certainly has never looked slow to me but that doesn't mean he's fast enough to play single high like ET in a Seahawks style defense.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
The cat can play! He'd be great in our system. I saw him projected late 1st round but we'll see how it plays out. He can flat out hit, leap and is explosive.

Ozzy

Reaction score
He could go mid 1st or be there for us in the 2nd and I wouldn't be shocked either way. I could see him fitting in here though and I'm biased but really hoping we land at least one Husky this draft, big fan of almost all of them.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Love Baker, reminds me of Earl a little bit but more so honey badger. I think he has the speed to play single high but on this team Earl should have that position held down for some time yet ( knock on wood ) so I don't know where he'd slot in but if you can land him in the 2nd somehow you've got a serious steal I think he goes late 1st.

Largent80

Reaction score
With Earl even muttering the word "retirement" I think the Hawks seriously need to start thinking of the future at every position in the D Backfield.

nwHawk

Reaction score

chris98251

Reaction score
Largent80":1yai0uhu said:
With Earl even muttering the word "retirement" I think the Hawks seriously need to start thinking of the future at every position in the D Backfield.

I agree, Kam and Earl especially have been banged up a lot, one more serious injury and I would not doubt Earl may say enough, Kam has had surgery I think every off season plus his major injuries.

You draft a guy like Baker and let him learn and play slot as well to have a duel back up, we need CB's as well. and a replacement for Kam, can't fill everything at once with our other issues like depth at LB and O line which may not be as bad as we think but is a concern. We need a true every down power runner as well, we have a stable of backs but none had proven themselves as being able to stay healthy or consistent yet.

But if a talent falls to you they should grab it, even if it's not a need, typically it will be soon anyway and the talent you want may not be there when you really need it.

Getting Hutch that year wasn't a need, he happened to be a great talent that fell to us, we took him and it set in motion one of best runs as a franchise being paired with Jones.

OP
OP
Seafan

Seafan

Reaction score
There are a lot of first round graded safeties in this draft so maybe this guy falls to #26.

getnasty

Reaction score
Love the player but just don't see the fit. Don't think he's the answer at nickel and don't want to draft a guy early that won't start until Earl is gone.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Baker informed that he'd spent some quality time with Earl Thomas, when he spoke at the combine. He and Thomas have the same agent, David Mulugheta of Athletes First, as the Seattle Times' Bob Condotta pointed out and although, he didn't sign with Mulugheta to link up with the Seahawks All-Pro; he doesn't mind picking his brain.

“Just a lot of eyes type of stuff when I’m breaking (on the ball),’’ Baker said, via Condotta on his biggest takeaway from the meeting. “He talked about in the NFL when you break you have to keep your eyes to the target first and then look for the ball because the quarterbacks are so good the ball is going to be out so fast you have to take your eyes to the receivers first.’’

Baker also had a little mini-update on Thomas' rehab life.

“I feel like he is doing good,’’ Baker said. “He is walking, not on crutches, so he’s walking. I feel like he will be ready when the season comes.’’

The Seahawks most pressing need isn't at safety but they could use Baker in the slot while Thomas grooms him to take his job eventually. In addition with injuries to cornerback DeShawn Shead and Thomas along with question marks with Jeremy Lane after an off season, the Seahawks could use a quality defensive back.

The Seahawks dealt with injuries to Shead, Thomas and starting strong safety Kam Chancellor, which means next season may just include Thomas and Baker playing on the same field. At this point, it's not a long shot.

http://sea.247sports.com/Bolt/Seahawks- ... r-51635750