Meet the Seahawks bell cow RB...

cover-2

Reaction score
This is draft is loaded with good RB's, there are some very good players that fit what the Seahawks want at RB all throughout the draft. I was putting together a bunch of highlights film to post on here of players that are all fairly well know to draftniks, when I stumbled across this RB...Towson RB Darius Victor. At 5-7 Victor is short, which is not really a big deal for the RB position. He packs a 225 lbs on his 5-7 frame, he has natural leverage and runs with good pad level to always be the "Low Man" wins upon contact. He has the low center of gravity which helps him stay on his feet and oh yeah his 225 lbs of muscle on his small frame has defenders bouncing off him.

Victor plays up to his size, he has a "I'm going to impose my will on you" type of mindset. He looks like he has very good quickness, quick feet to get through the trash, and good vision. He has a good work ethic and is a team guy. He is coming off toe surgery and is considered a late round or free agent rookie. But, he defiantly looks like he fits the Seahawks type of RB and could be our next under-the-radar stud. His best comparison is to former Jaguar's RB Maurice Jones-Drew.

[youtube]ON0HEncuYDA[/youtube]

[youtube]-obAXdzG3ew[/youtube]

Here is an article on him about what he does off the field and how off the field adversity has pushed him...
https://www.pressboxonline.com/2015...ing-towson-experiences-to-help-inspire-others

Here is an article on him talking about his leadership...
https://www.pressboxonline.com/2016/09/15/darius-victor-becoming-off-field-leader-for-towson

A-Dog

Reaction score
Height isn't a big issue as a runner but it can be a real limitation in pass blocking.

Main concern here is lack of speed - even at that level of competition it's clear from the tape that he lacks explosion and breakaway speed - that's why the Barry Sanders comparison does not at all fit.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I see a little burst, explosion there and some nice cuts. He doesn't have a lot of top end, but he gets there fast. And he bounces off of people with that thick, lower body. I think that extra weight might play well on him.

chris98251

Reaction score
A-Dog":1s8mguu6 said:
Height isn't a big issue as a runner but it can be a real limitation in pass blocking.

Main concern here is lack of speed - even at that level of competition it's clear from the tape that he lacks explosion and breakaway speed - that's why the Barry Sanders comparison does not at all fit.

Barry was quick and elusive, he wasn't going to run 90 yards but could get you 30 to 40 many times.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Mike Tolbert is 5'9" 250lbs and looks like a bowling ball.

5'7" 225lb would look even more like one, since chances are he closer to 5'6" than 5'8".

A-Dog

Reaction score
chris98251":2bepigwc said:
A-Dog":2bepigwc said:

Barry was quick and elusive, he wasn't going to run 90 yards but could get you 30 to 40 many times.
Barry had plenty of long runs where nobody could catch him. He ran a 4.37 40-yard dash in sweats at his pro day.

http://www.profootballhof.com/news/hall-recall-barry-sanders/

If you need a visual reminder of Barry's speed, go here:

[youtube]etagiFlri2U[/youtube]

I doubt this guy comes in under 4.6.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jesus ok your right he has a bit of speed, IT WAS MORE ABOUT HIS SIZE AND PHYSICAL BODY BEING SMALLER BUT HEAVIER THEN SANDERS, DID I MENTION ANY DAMN THING ABOUT HIS OVERALL SPEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Besides it was his size and hard to find and his elusiveness and the tree trunk legs and balance cutting on a dime and giving you nine cents change that made him hard to tackle. GOD KNOWS it wasn't the stellar blocking his line gave him over the years.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
A-Dog":34y0i6t7 said:

In theory I can understand that a 5-7 RB could struggle in pass pro, but he shows later in the highlight that he straight kills fools when he blocks. Blocking for RB's and TE's, IMO comes down to "want to". Shawn Alexander was a big RB that just didn't have the heart or desire to block, whereas a smaller RB like Marice Jones-Drew was a killer. Go to the 7:45 mark on the highlight, that is where it highlights some of Victor's blocking. Also, I highly disagree with your opinion about him lacking explosion as a runner. I don't know how you can watch that highlight and have that opinion. But, I do somewhat agree about his long speed. But, IMO long speed is highly overrated for RB's.

MJD killing Charger LB Shawne Merriman...
[youtube]VgGmAnIzU9E[/youtube]

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Eh.. not overly impressed with him. Feel like Troymaine Pope is already in that same area.

I also don't feel RB is a really big need for us. Bad PR aside, I wouldn't mind a Joe Mixon though. But again, the Frank Clark thing and then adding Mixon.. idk if the team wants to go down that road.

Largent80

Reaction score
RB is definitely a need. We have Rawls and Procise.

INJURIES. Procise has been often injured and that goes back into college.

Rawls is a bruiser that does NOT appear to have the body to keep doing it.

The draft is ultra deep with RB and the Hawks would be fools to ignore both of the things I mentioned.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Looks like he has same running style as MJD but Drew weighed 207lbs coming out of college with a 4.39 40. Curious to see what Darius Victor's combine stats will be. My guess on his 40 is 4.5 at the lowest.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Largent80":3ujf1wky said:
The Hawks may well look at Christian McCaffrey.

Cannot imagine anything but good things this guy could do for our team. Return man, every down back, 3rd down back, receiver, depth. Only concern I have is it seems like we cant have nice things on offense, at least consistently. Some how NE is going to get this guy I know it.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Largent80":3hi7y13j said:
RB is definitely a need. We have Rawls and Procise.

INJURIES. Procise has been often injured and that goes back into college.

Rawls is a bruiser that does NOT appear to have the body to keep doing it.

The draft is ultra deep with RB and the Hawks would be fools to ignore both of the things I mentioned.

It's a need sure, but not our biggest one.. and sure as hell not in a way you'd address it in the 1st/2nd round unless by some miracle a Fournette/Cook fell to a range where you could trade up for him.

I disagree that RB is also "ultra deep" this year.. it looked like it was going to be, then a few guys didn't come out. It's still a pretty deep position all things considered, but its not overly special.

But again, until the offseason actually begins, its really hard to say how our needs will be on draft weekend compared to what they are now. If we add a couple of pieces in FA, that gives us a lot of flexibility to look at a skill position.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":330wuyrk said:
Largent80":330wuyrk said:

Cannot imagine anything but good things this guy could do for our team. Return man, every down back, 3rd down back, receiver, depth. Only concern I have is it seems like we cant have nice things on offense, at least consistently. Some how NE is going to get this guy I know it.

I can't see NE picking him up with James White and Dion Lewis still in the fold. McCaffrey would be redundant in all honesty.

The Patriots will probably trade Jimmy G for a 1st and continue to build up that defense. I can see a Jabril Peppers type there.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
Largent80":ax0pmlsx said:

I highly doubt it they would draft McCaffrey. McCaffrey doesn't fit what they want in a every down RB. McCaffrey is built more like a WR, similar build to Reggie Bush. Seahawks want 215 lbs + RB's that are incredibly athletic and or bruising alpha dogs.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I believe that Joe Mixon would be a perfect match for the Seahawks. He's got the size the Seahawks like, is fast, and can catch the ball out of the backfield. Plus, he's probably going to be there in the late 2nd round or 3rd round. His NFL draft profile has him most like Le'Veon Bell. While he's not a Marshawn Lynch, he could still put a scare into defenses. Just like Bell does. That's the trait the Seahawks need to revitalize their running game. A back that puts the fear into defenses.

Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma, NFL draft profile - http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/joe-mixon?id=2557976

As for his character issues, yes he needs to clean that up but Frank Clark had issues coming out of college. Frank has been able to stay clean since. Maybe Mixon would do the same. Mixon's talents, like Clark, is off the charts for his respective position.

[youtube]l1PkiOroeZE[/youtube]