Forrest Lamp WKU "One of my favorites in the draft" Mayock

ivotuk

Reaction score
Mayock: "A guy I like is Forrest Lamp, he's a lot like Zack Martin when he came out of Notre Dame...late 1st round guy, can kick inside day one as a Guard"

My thoughts: Move Ifedi to Right Tackle. Mayock "He (Ifedi) could play Right Tackle."

Mayock post --> viewtopic.php?f=18&t=136136

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forrest Lamp Western Kentucky 6'4" ARMS: 31 1/8" Weight: 305LBS Hands 10 7/8" Overview

Lamp finished a brilliant career for the Hilltoppers by scoring a touchdown in the team's bowl game. It was a designed "tackle screen", actually, and the speed he showed with the ball in his hands was indicative of his athleticism.

Lamp earned honorable-mention All-Sun Belt honors starting at guard (three games) and left tackle (nine games) as a redshirt freshman in 2013. He stayed at his left tackle home the next year, garnering honorable mention All-Conference USA notice as the team moved to that league.

The past two years, Lamp was a first-team all-conference selection, starting every game on the blind side. He was a third-team Associated Press All-American as a senior.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/ ... id=2557890

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 NFL Draft: Meet Forrest Lamp, the NFL's next great guard prospect

Many successful pro guards were tackles in college, and Lamp appears ready for the conversion

What do several of the top offensive guards in the NFL have in common? They were once offensive tackles in college.

Cowboys All-Pro Zach Martin started 52 games at Notre Dame, none at guard.

Before he was a second-round pick by the Ravens and before he signed a lucrative deal with the Raiders, Kelechi Osemele was Iowa State's starting left tackle for three seasons.

Ravens Pro Bowler Marshal Yanda had some experience at guard in college at Iowa, but most of his starting experience was split between left and right tackle.

Joel Bitonio (Browns), Justin Pugh (Giants), T.J. Lang (Packers), Ali Marpet (Buccaneers), Cody Whitehair (Bears) and Brandon Scherff (Redskins) are some more recent examples of college tackles who shifted to the interior of the offensive line in the NFL and are flourishing.

Who is that prospect in the 2017 NFL Draft class? Meet Forrest Lamp.

(And no, he wasn't named after Tom Hanks' title character in Forrest Gump, which was released five months after he was born.)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2017- ... -prospect/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New York Jets NFL Draft 2017: Is Western Kentucky's Forrest Lamp a hidden gem?

Haven't heard of Forrest Lamp yet? Well, you will. The guard/tackle is skyrocketing up draft boards. He's a borderline first-round pick at the moment, but could easily work himself into the middle of the round.

Lamp played offensive tackle the majority of his four years at Western Kentucky. In the NFL, he figures to play more guard. He's 6-4 and 305 pounds with sneaky athleticism. He displayed some surprising speed when he scored a 9-yard touchdown in the Boca Raton Bowl.

The Jets need help on the offensive line. Lamp isn't someone they'd use the No. 6 pick on, but they could trade back into the first if he's there towards the end of the round.

So, who is Lamp? What do you need to know about him? Here's a quick scouting report and a brief Q&A from the 2017 Senior Bowl.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/0 ... amp_a.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Washington Redskins 2017 Draft Profiles: Forrest Lamp, OG - Hogs Haven takes a look at 2017 NFL prospects that could contribute to the Redskins Player Overview:

Forrest Lamp is trying to make his case that he is the best offensive guard in the draft. The former Western Kentucky LT has had a very successful career but rose to national prominence (in the draft world) after his performance against Alabama. Lamp is a student of the game here is what he said about preparing for Alabama

"First thing I look for is scheme and tendencies of the defense," Lamp said. "The second thing is I look at the individual player. In pass protection, Tim Williams and Jonathan Allen are two completely different players. And my pass-set depends on who I'm going against.

At season’s end Lamp’s stock was boosted even more after edge rushers Tim Williams and Ryan Anderson both named Lamp as the toughest offensive lineman they faced all year.

Lamp really does remind me a lot of Luke Joeckel. He plays we an excellent base, has a great shuffle, had great balance, and rarely surrenders the edge. Lamp is a technician playing with great fundamentals, particularly in pass protection. Like Joeckel, Lamp is better suited to play LG in the NFL. He doesn't possess the desired arm length or lower body strength for an NFL LT. Despite those less than ideal physical marks Lamp is likely a long time starter in the NFL. He is ready to start today at LG.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2017/2/2/14427 ... st-lamp-og

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Mock Drafts: Forrest Lamp To The Redskins?

In his second mock draft of the year, NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah has the Redskins selecting offensive lineman Forrest Lamp in the first round.

Could the Washington Redskins continue to beef up the offensive line with another first round pick added to the group?

NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah puts it on the table in his latest mock draft, as he has the Redskins taking guard Forrest Lamp with the 17th-overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft.

Jeremiah believes that Lamp – like Spencer Long – has the ability to play both center and guard.

“Lamp carries weight well on his 6-foot-4 frame. He excelled at offensive tackle in college, but I believe it would be in his best interest to move inside to guard at the next level,” Jeremiah recently wrote about Lamp, his No. 17 prospect in this year’s class.

“This is one of the more technically sound linemen you'll see at the college level. He is quick out of his stance and he bends really well. He keeps his hands in tight and consistently stays on balance. He is always very patient and doesn't overextend. In the run game, he runs his feet on contact and generates movement at the point of attack. He was lights-out against Alabama. His lack of ideal height and length could be an issue in the NFL but that would be alleviated with a move to guard. Overall, Lamp is very strong, consistent and reliable, which should allow him to get on the field right away.”

http://www.redskins.com/news/article-1/ ... eda0b971dc

Redskins, Chargers & Titans meet with WKU OL Forrest Lamp at Senior Bowl

Lamp’s most impressive tape was against Alabama last year, proving he can hang with top competition. His size will likely necessitate a move inside to guard from tackle, but he’s already drawing comparisons to Dallas Cowboys guard Zack Martin, who was a first-round pick and is already proving to be well worth the investment.

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2017/01/2 ... nior-bowl/

Forrest Lamp, OT, WKU: 2017 NFL Draft prospect on the rise

As a prospect, many project Lamp inside to guard at the next level. His lack of great height and length are primary reasons for that, though it didn’t affect his play while at Western Kentucky, even against the best competition he faced…

YOUTUBE VIDEO

In his junior season, Lamp did not allow a sack while quarterback Brandon Doughty enjoyed one of the best seasons of anyone at his position in college football. This is a steady pass protector who also excels in the run game and appears made for the NFL.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/forr ... ise-012117

Largent80

Reaction score
Honestly, I would like to keep Ifedi right where he is at guard.

The team needs to address RT in this draft or F.A. because Gilliam is what he is.

This guy isn't that RT.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Enough guys who can play guard already! We need guys on the outside!

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
brimsalabim":38ilvhjs said:
Enough guys who can play guard already! We need guys on the outside!
I agree, for the most part. But, if the right guard is there, and no tackles in sight, im open to seeing if ifedi can kick out. It is his natural position, after all.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
That's the thing, Mayock doesn't think a 1st round Tackle will make it to 26. You can wish Tackle all you want, but when it comes to drafting, you take best player available with need only being used as a tiebreaker.

Reading between the lines on Mayock's interview, he likes Lamp a lot. May be the BPA at 26

And Ifedi would make a good RT imho. It's where he has the experience at.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I am of the opinion that Ifedi is probably a better OT than most in this class and likely anything that is available to us at 26 this year. There are however better OGs in this class than Ifedi.

Lamp and Feeney to me would be significant upgrades at the RG post.

Despite proclamations to the contrary, I still expect that Ifedi will be competing on the outside this season.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
If our highly paid staff believes Ifeldi is an NFL starting caliber tackle then why do they have him playing guard? Hasn't anyone learned from last seasons mistakes? We need good tackles. If we aren't going to bring in a top free agent then we better trade up and get one in the draft.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
brimsalabim":u8uq0egh said:
If our highly paid staff believes Ifeldi is an NFL starting caliber tackle then why do they have him playing guard? Hasn't anyone learned from last seasons mistakes? We need good tackles. If we aren't going to bring in a top free agent then we better trade up and get one in the draft.

Because it's the way Cable/PC like to do things...switch players positons. When have they drafted a Oline and let them play the position they played in college? Heck, the whole current OL isn't playing their positions in college. Britt and Ifedi were tackles in college, Fant and Gilliam were TEs, maybe Glow is the only one playing the same position he played in college. The main priority should be to upgrade the tackle position because both Gilliam and Fant are projects who aren't ready. Maybe use them as serviceable backups but not starting material at all. In the 3-5 round area, guys like Bisnowaty, Banner, Will Holden, could be guys to keep an eye on.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Seriously is no-one going to post this?

B77135991cac5dfb3c402688c5d18f0cfa90d467ab901ca9c2

OK if i can be serious for a moment...

I'm reminded of Sebastian Tretola when I read about this Lamp fella. Anyone know how he has been getting on at the Titans? Watching a lot of Alex Collins Razorback tape last year brought this guy into focus. Bielema spoke highly of him.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
I wasn't that impressed by Lamp. At least not enough to consider him a first or second round pick. His power/athleticism are just average. Alligator arms will make it difficult for him to succeed outside. But pass protection skills would make him a good 3rd or 4th round pick.

Truther

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1eqsmddu said:
I am of the opinion that Ifedi is probably a better OT than most in this class and likely anything that is available to us at 26 this year. There are however better OGs in this class than Ifedi.

Lamp and Feeney to me would be significant upgrades at the RG post.

Despite proclamations to the contrary, I still expect that Ifedi will be competing on the outside this season.
If the best Off lineman happens to be a guard then I'm on board with a Fenney or Lamp. Besides I think pressure from solid pass rushing 3 techs can be more damaging to a mobile qb like Wilson then outside rushers

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I expect it'll come down to do you think Lamp or Feeney will have more value at OG, than say a Baker/King or similar player in the secondary.

Honestly, I think I'd go with an R3 OG prospect and have both of those players or similar. The pro bowls in the next 5-7 years are going to be dominated by guys taken this April. This position group looks considerably stronger to me than the WR group of 2014.

For me, I could live with Glow/Ifedi at OG, and add a one year bandaid at OT if needed. This defensive backfield is just incomplete right now. Teams can and do scheme away from our best defender (Sherman) reducing his impact on games. If we could find the next Sherman or something close -- that drastically reduces opponents ability to simply circumvent our strengths by design.

Shead is a capable corner. But even at full health, he's not a ball hawk. There is a unique opportunity to add an alpha talent on defense at a position where they will have massive opportunities to make game changing plays. That upgrade in terms of potential impact really dwarf an upgrade in the interior.

I really love Lamp. And I think Feeney is a special talent. But I don't see either of those two players having the same potential impact on wins and losses than adding a potential shutdown corner to pair with Sherman. Not merely the impact that player might have in his own right. But also the added opportunities that Sherman could see.

If this were a class great at LB or WR or RB or even OT -- I think this conversation would be different. Cover corners, especially ones with the physical attributes we require, are uncommon. And in particular now that other teams are culling from our profile of CB in copycat form. We've been relegated to taking less talented project players late in day three for years.

Largent80

Reaction score
Sorry but I can't stop thinking Forrest Gump....It's just a GU instead of LA......... :lol:

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":18sjbn38 said:
I expect it'll come down to do you think Lamp or Feeney will have more value at OG, than say a Baker/King or similar player in the secondary.

Honestly, I think I'd go with an R3 OG prospect and have both of those players or similar. The pro bowls in the next 5-7 years are going to be dominated by guys taken this April. This position group looks considerably stronger to me than the WR group of 2014.

For me, I could live with Glow/Ifedi at OG, and add a one year bandaid at OT if needed. This defensive backfield is just incomplete right now. Teams can and do scheme away from our best defender (Sherman) reducing his impact on games. If we could find the next Sherman or something close -- that drastically reduces opponents ability to simply circumvent our strengths by design.

Shead is a capable corner. But even at full health, he's not a ball hawk. There is a unique opportunity to add an alpha talent on defense at a position where they will have massive opportunities to make game changing plays. That upgrade in terms of potential impact really dwarf an upgrade in the interior.

I really love Lamp. And I think Feeney is a special talent. But I don't see either of those two players having the same potential impact on wins and losses than adding a potential shutdown corner to pair with Sherman. Not merely the impact that player might have in his own right. But also the added opportunities that Sherman could see.

If this were a class great at LB or WR or RB or even OT -- I think this conversation would be different. Cover corners, especially ones with the physical attributes we require, are uncommon. And in particular now that other teams are culling from our profile of CB in copycat form. We've been relegated to taking less talented project players late in day three for years.

I believe that you are correct. IMHO, our #1 need is a speedy OLB like Zach Brown (maybe bring Malcolm Smith back) that can cover, followed by a 2nd round DB that like you said, we could put opposite of Sherman.

My biggest problem right now with our OLine is RT. Gilliam doesn't have that killer instinct, and I think it shows when he makes mistakes, it's because the DE took advantage of the "softness." Although that's not really a good word for it.

I think Ifedi at RT would be a huge upgrade, then get a Right Guard to replace him. I'm sure that could be done in the 3rd.

But listening to Mayock, man he was very high on Lamp. And if there's one "Draft Expert" I trust above all others, it's Mayock.

When I was watching Alex Collins and Arkansas, Tretola really stood out. He wasn't supposed to succeed because of his 31.5" arms, but arm length isn't everything.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/seb ... id=2555143