Is the second 3rd round comp a bad thing?

HawkGA

Reaction score
I've seen suggested in more than one place that the Seahawks getting a second 3rd round comp pick is a bad thing because by not getting the expected 5th round comp, there is a big hole in rounds 4 and 5 for the Hawks draft. This thinking is crazy, right?

pcbball12

Reaction score
Yes, that thinking is crazy. Those people just like symmetry or something. Having three 3rds and no 4th or 5th is much better than having two 3rds, no 4th and a late 5th. You can always trade one of those 3rds (or two) and pick up a 4th and 5th round pick if value is not there.....but in this deep draft there are starting caliber players still available in the 3rd.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
It's a good thing.

Last season we really filled a lot of depth holes. And truth be told, it was a good year to do that.

This year however is a much stronger draft. With our 5 day 1/2 picks, we should get at least 2 starters on day one. With one or two very strong rotational types (think Frank Clark level rotational value).

The way last year broke for us, it's probably worth it to front load the draft somewhat.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
It could also free up a pick if they feel inclined to leapfrog the likes of Houston or Denver, or even Washington perhaps, who might also be looking for a 1st round tackle.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":wijx07ok said:
With our 5 day 1/2 picks, we should get at least 2 starters on day one.

Not to quibble, but I assume you mean on the first 2 days, given how the draft is broken up now with Day 1 just the first round and Day 2 rounds 2 and 3 . . . unless they've changed that again.

Or maybe you meant they'd be starting Day 1, which would make much more sense.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":w0dtumkt said:
Or maybe you meant they'd be starting Day 1, which would make much more sense.

Yes, that. Sounded more clear in my head.

Largent80

Reaction score
Three 3rd's is so awesome in THIS draft. We are going to be Reaping.

[youtube]XbnJhBqe_Dc[/youtube]

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Largent80":140bchkg said:
Three 3rd's is so awesome in THIS draft. We are going to be Reaping.

[youtube]XbnJhBqe_Dc[/youtube]

Yeah, way excited. To the original poster, which would you rather? 3rd, 4th and 5th round talents, or three 3rd round talents. Assuming they all play to their respective grades that is. But that is the case no matter which round they are drafted in. Plus, with three third rounders, they can potentially trade up or down, or they can draft for need as well as bpa. Gives pcjs a lot of room to get creative. I would actually love to see them trade up in the first round, and take a game breaker. I haven't figured out who I would like them to take, but it would be awesome. I hope they either trade up, or trade for a superstar. I personally believe the biggest holes can be plugged in fa or trade, so this draft could have the potential of adding some superstars. It is amazing how much a team can be forced to reach for a player when they need to fill a big hole.