Which players are you paying attention to at combine?

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Here is my tentative list: Do any of y'all have guys your looking forward to watching?
There are some seldom mentioned players I'm looking forward to watching at the combine. These are guys that have had little or no mention as potential Seahawks. I'm thinking at least 3/4 of them should be valid considerations IF they perform exceptionally well at the combine. (xxx) = current cnssports.com rankings 2/24/2017 update.

----FS-Josh Jones(126), North Carolina St., 6-2/215, experience at both FS/SS. Expected to have wow #'s.
2016: 13-games, 109-tkls, 62-solo, 3-INT, 3.5-TFL, 1.0-sacks, 8-PBU, 1-FF

----SS-Justin Evans(102), Texas A&M, 6-0/193, With sensational #'s - he'll be a fast riser. Love how he hits.
2016: 13-games, 87-tkls, 52-solo, 4-INT, 5.0-TFL, 8-PBU, 1-BK

----CB-Shaquill Griffin(375), Central Florida, 6-1/192, #1 in FCS in passes defended, speed= expected to be VERY fast.
2016: 13-games, 50-tkls, 30-solo, 4-INT, 3.0-TFL, 15-PBU, 1-BK

----DE/OLB-Jordan Willis(106), Kansas St., 6-4/255/33.25-arms, 10.0"-hands -Could be a pass rushing SAM, speed=?
2016: 13-games, 52-tkls, 34-solo, 17.5-TFL, 11.5-sacks, 3-PBU, 4-QBH, 3-FF

----OLB-Carroll "wild man" Phillips(146), Illinois, 6-3/237, 31.75"-arms, 9.5"-hands - Decent production, speed=?
2016: 12-games, 56-tkls, 30-solo, 20-TFL, 9.0-sacks, 3-QBH, 1-FF

----OLB-Jimmy Gilbert(296), Colorado, 6-4/223 Very underrated, Decent production for a late Rd/UDFA OLB.
2016: 62-tkls, 48-solo, 14.0-TFL, 10.0 sacks, 3-PBU, 7-QBH, 6-FF

----DE-Trey Hendrickson(142), Florida Atlantic, 6-4/255 (good production, MAY not have enough speed/twitch for SEA)
2016: 51-tkls, 26-solo, 15.0-TFL, 9.5-sacks, 2-PBU, 8-QBH, 1-FF

----TE-Adam Shaheen(71), Ashland, 6-6/277 a + pass catcher & ? blocker, rising fast, excellent production for TE.
2016: 57/867/16-TD's; 2015: 70/803/10-TD's (small school, may be over valued based on just #'s, SEA = no thanks?)

----OT-Julien Davenport(134), Bucknell, 6-7/310 - (Big, mobile OT that needs further development)
----OT-Antonio Gacia(77), Troy, 6-6/293 - (Big, mobile OT that needs further development)
----OT-Javarius Leamon(220), So. Carolina St, 6-7/328 - (Big, mobile OT that needs a lot of development)
----ORT-Jerry Ugokwe(299), William & Mary, 6-7/318 - (Big, mobile OT that needs a lot of development)

--WR-Taywan Taylor(119) - may be one of the standouts in several of the workout events, + multi-year good production.
--WR/KR-Shelton Gibson(230), West Virginia, 5-11/195; (Tyler Lockett 2.0?) Maybe a sleeper WR/KR pick?
2016: 43-rec. for 951-yds. a 22.12-ypc avg., 8-TD s + 29-Kick Returns for 633-yds. a 21.83-avg.
--WR/TE-Billy Brown(198), Shepherd, 6-036/236, expecting sub 4.6/40, 2016: 63-rec for 998-yds, 15.8-ypc avg, 14-TD's in 9 games. A later round option for the Seahawks as a TE and/or WR=? Could be + value late in draft.
:smilingalien:

ivotuk

Reaction score
Thanks for the list! I'll just be copying that and using it as my own.... 8)

I think OLB is our biggest need right now. The loss of Bruce Irvin, and having to replace him with Mike Morgan was the difference between this team being the number 1 scoring defense for the 5th straight year.

After that, I think DB, S and in the later rounds, some DL depth.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I've got to keep an eye on the local kids myself. John Ross, Sidney Jones, Kevin King, Budda Baker, Elijah Qualls, Darrell Daniels, and Joe Mathis all made it into the 2017 Combine. I hope they all do well. I will pay specific attention to Budda Baker, Sidney Jones, and Kevin King because I feel like there's a decent chance that 1 or 2 of those guys could be drafted by Seattle.

As for guys outside of Seattle I love the supply of talented RB's this year and will be paying close attention to guys like Samaje Perine, James Conner, Alvin Kamara, D'Onta Foreman, and De'Veon Smith.

Also DB's Cordrea Tankersley, Ahkello Witherspoon, Obi Melifonwu, & Rasul Douglas

flmmkrz

Reaction score
I'm with DJ the local kids are what I'm watching, I'd love to see 2 of them in a hawks uni. Jones and Baker would make me cry happy tears lol

Also the olbs...outside the top few I want to see what the others have to show

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
I am interested in Kevin king. I kind of would like to see him about 15 to 20 lbs heavier. I also want to see d'onta foreman's forty time. Watching his highlights, he seems to outrun guys 20 or more lbs lighter than him consistently. Granted, that won't happen in the NFL as often. The other thing I like about him, is he seems to get to speed in a step. He is 250 lbs and runs like he is 220. Third thing I am watching is to see if athletically any of the upper tier o linemen will set themselves apart.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I could go with the standard alpha talents.

But really I think this draft is going to be made on day 2. With 4 picks in this frame -- this is where Seattle is going to make or break their draft.

Safeties:

This group is admittedly deep. And there's several that will go in R1. But equally as compelling, is that there are about twice as many S prospects rated in the 30-100 range than there are in the 1-30. There are probably 8 safeties that all kind of seem similar (Luani, Thompson, Williams, Evans, Jones, Johnson, Woods, Jackson, Maye and maybe Peppers). This group is all tightly bunched and the Combine *SHOULD* help sort them out.

Corners:

Similarly, this class is just insanely deep in Seattle prototype prospects. Normally, there are maybe 5-6 CBs over 6' in a class. There are probably going to be 20+ this year. And already we know of 4 confirmed at 6'2" or bigger. I bet there will be upwards of double the number of typical 6'+ prospects in a normal year that all top 6'2"+.

Going to be a lot of measurable correct CBs this year. I'm personally heavily invested in Kevin King. There are maybe 5 players I can think of that would compete with him at #26 (Reddick, Bolles, Baker, Ross). These are the players at positions that really should just be fairly freakish and have a chance to be available at 26.

King's measurables should just scream Seahawks. But if he tests as well as expected, it's going to be hard to not think he and he alone will be 'the guy we can't leave the draft without'. He's been quasi anointed as a future Seahawk for the last 18+ months. Could he test his way out of reach?

OL:

This is a bad draft for R1 type talents. And the position is so heavily overdrafted that really there is very low value even attempting to solve OT issues via the draft unless you're in the top 15 overall.

I strongly suspect that if we end up taking an OT in R1, we're going to be getting at best a James Carpenter type player and passing on annual pro bowl caliber talent in the secondary.

That said, I also don't think we walk away from this draft without an OL pick. So I'm going to ignore the R1 contenders and watch the tier 3 guys. I'm going to assume that we pass on OL at 26 and are picking at 58 at best, but probably around 100 overall.

So that means after Johnson, Garcia, Moton, Dawkins and Robinson. Guys I'm looking at:

Julie'n Davenport. Strong hunch this is one of our 3rd round picks.
Bisnowaty
Wheeler
Holden

None of these guys look like they'll be day one starters. I love the OG group in the same range: Asiata, Sharpe, Mama, Morgan.

I almost expect that Seattle is going to see this class stinks for solving need and goes elsewhere in the draft. If they can address OT outside the draft and pick up one of these guard options, while still going for the great secondary talent early -- that's the ideal situation for me.

Taking an OT in this class is reaching. Even if we trade up in the teens to get Bolles. Because we're going to be giving up on two players who should end up being the caliber of KJ Wright at the worst. Fringe pro bowl, to actual pro bowl talents. Bolles isn't worth that to me.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":c9t2e0cv said:
----OT-Julien Davenport(134), Bucknell, 6-7/310 - (Big, mobile OT that needs further development)
----OT-Antonio Gacia(77), Troy, 6-6/293 - (Big, mobile OT that needs further development)

I agree. Both of these guys are intriguing. Gacia needs to show he has gained enough power and explosiveness to succeed as a run blocker in NFL.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Dorian Johnson out of Pittsburgh is a guy I really want to see because some have said (and his tape shows) he moves well in space and could potentially kick outside to tackle. That doesn't happen very often, actually I can't even think of a college OG that moved to OT in the NFL but Johnson looks like a guy that could do it. Even if he stays at guard I think he's very Seahawky.

Pie Romania

Reaction score
DJrmb":12yc9nfr said:
Dorian Johnson out of Pittsburgh is a guy I really want to see because some have said (and his tape shows) he moves well in space and could potentially kick outside to tackle. That doesn't happen very often, actually I can't even think of a college OG that moved to OT in the NFL but Johnson looks like a guy that could do it. Even if he stays at guard I think he's very Seahawky.

Branden Albert

DJrmb

Reaction score
Pie Romania":dzk1ghje said:
DJrmb":dzk1ghje said:

Branden Albert

Yes! Awesome, thanks for that. I figured it had to have at least happened once.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I find this guy interesting: Storm Norton Toledo 6'8" 311#

Overview

It might surprise some to know that Toledo had the seventh-best offense in the country based on yardage (517.8 per game) and ranked in the top twenty nationally in scoring (38 points per contest).

A lot of that had to do with the protection Norton gave to quarterback Logan Woodside and the holes he made for running back Kareem Hunt during the season. He started every game the past two seasons at left tackle, earning first-team All-MAC recognition each season.

An all-state pick from Toledo, Norton stayed home and worked hard to get stronger during his first couple of seasons with the Golden Rockets. He played in seven games as a redshirt freshman, and then took over the left tackle spot with three games to go in the 2014 season.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/ ... id=2558042

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Safeties, CBs, O Line for me.
My biased self is also watching the Michigan kids. I am wondering where Jabrill Peppers fits. S?LB?ST?Offense?
I am also curious about TJ Watt from Wisconsin. That kid is a beast.
I am watching the combine and have seen numerous NFL coaches appearing but have not seen any Seahawk reps.

randomation

Reaction score
Mr. McCaffrey just made me sit up and take notice if GB and Ram are gone I would love to get him to pair with CJP

CPHawk

Reaction score
Pharaoh Brown has been impressive so far. A guy who could be a draft steal in the 4-5th round, do to a horrific knee injury two years ago. If his knee passes physicals, he could be the best TE in the class.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I'm honestly not trying to be a homer but Darrell Daniels looks really good to me. He could be a good replacement for Wilson if he leaves in FA.

randomation

Reaction score
DJrmb":3t22gt4a said:
I'm honestly not trying to be a homer but Darrell Daniels looks really good to me. He could be a good replacement for Wilson if he leaves in FA.

Willson not Wilson let's not give everyone heart attacks :D