Obi Melifonfu - please come to Seattle

drrew

Reaction score
So far this morning Obi Melifonfu has put up the following combine numbers:

- 4.46 40 yard dash
- 11'9 broad jump (2nd longest of all time)
- 44" vertical (4th highest of all time)
This man is 6'4 225lb

His tape shows he's an actual football player, not just an athlete, but in a league of absolute freak athletes, he's going to be one of the freakiest of them all.

ivotuk

Reaction score
He looked pretty good in the Senior Bowl.

Senior Bowl: Mike Mayock's Day 2 practice stars

Obi Melifonwu, S, Connecticut

Melifonwu, at 6-4 and 219 pounds, was all over the field on Wednesday. He's got outstanding range, making up so much distance in a hurry. Bob Diaco, the coach at UConn the past three years, said Melifonwu has more ability than any safety he's ever coached, and that includes Harrison Smith, the all-pro player for the Minnesota Vikings whom Diaco coached at Notre Dame. He's a matchup chess piece with movement skills. If Greg Olsen comes to town, you say, "That's your guy." The next week a wide receiver like Mike Evans comes to town, you say, "Go get him." I thought Melifonwu had an outstanding practice session on Wednesday.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... tice-stars

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news ... p-50-push/

Others like him too...

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2017/01/2 ... nior-bowl/

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
We won't use our first round pick on a safety, and he won't be there when we pick in the second round. He's destined for another team. Having said that, he'd be a great option as a Kam replacement if they decide to go that direction.

OP
OP
D

drrew

Reaction score
He just put up 4.40 in his second run.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":rgf3fx2i said:
We won't use our first round pick on a safety, and he won't be there when we pick in the second round. He's destined for another team. Having said that, he'd be a great option as a Kam replacement if they decide to go that direction.

He will not be drafted by the Seahawks as a safety. If drafted at 26 - which I believe is very probable - he will be drafted as a CB and/or big nickel. When you watch his tape, he checks every box the Seahawks look for in a corner. He is clearly a unique talent, and someone physically that Seattle could not pass on.

getnasty

Reaction score
Yeah if he's drafted in the first then Kam's probably not on the team next year. The guys a freak but I'd rather CB early.

OP
OP
D

drrew

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":2bnhekgg said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":2bnhekgg said:

He will not be drafted by the Seahawks as a safety. If drafted at 26 - which I believe is very probable - he will be drafted as a CB and/or big nickel. When you watch his tape, he checks every box the Seahawks look for in a corner. He is clearly a unique talent, and someone physically that Seattle could not pass on.

There was a report out that teams have talked to him about LB as well.

chris98251

Reaction score
Were not going to find Seahawky guys in the 4th and 5th anymore, the league has the scoop and now it's an outright competition for that talent and body type.

If he is as advertised and a tilt the field player I could see us grabbing him, back up for both safety spots and a CB to take over and or play opposite of Sherman, the value is there based on his diversity on the field alone. Not getting a Lineman this year that will be of more value, RB can be had thru the 3rd that are quality, CB's are also there for the taking, special players however you don't get cute and try to see if they are there later. The exception was Wilson and he was there because of his size but teams were ready to pull the trigger.

penihawk

Reaction score
He's the type player that would not have a dedicated position. He's a matchup player in a matchup league. We need more playmakers on defense and I would say he goes on a long list in this draft. He is the guy they wanted BB to be last year til they found out he couldn't run anymore.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Pete was rocking in his chair excited while watching his workouts. He is probably in play at 26. Hell he might go higher, just look at Byron Jones. Neither were first rounders on tape alone, but measurables too amazing to pass up. Just incredibly rare.

DJrmb

Reaction score
kobebryant":368e50je said:
Boy, can his tape be bad at times though. Not sure the motor meshes with Seattle DBs at all.

https://twitter.com/JaredStanger/status/828874085811695616

This is my biggest problem with Obi as well. You can't just look at a highlight reel and combine numbers and expect to know much about a football player in the draft.

I hope that some of the bad tape you see with him is just him playing multiple positions and not really knowing any one positions extremely well. I think there is a lot of thinking going on for him rather than just being able to trust his instincts and play fast. If that's the case that can be coached up.

The other thing is that I don't see the nasty streak that both Earl and Kam share. Obi seems to be much more finesse, not willing to make the big hit, and making a lot of "business decisions". Again, that could be a symptom of him having to think too much out there on the field and it could be something that can be coached up, but it also could be that he'll just never be that type of guy that plays fast and hard. It's difficult to tell just from what we have access to online.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
kobebryant":3obqhlt7 said:
Boy, can his tape be bad at times though. Not sure the motor meshes with Seattle DBs at all.

https://twitter.com/JaredStanger/status/828874085811695616

I have looked through a few games of UConn - there will always be a few negative plays. His overall tape is solid, and I disagree with Jared Stanger if he is suggesting that his negatives outweigh positives.....he has LOTS of really good tape too. I do not see any motor issues at all

titan3131

Reaction score
Jared stanger is the arch nemisis of our favorite english seahawk fan rob stanton. I assume the stark contrast of opinion is his way of protesting his ability vs robs. We shall see who wins.

nanomoz

Reaction score
This isn't encouraging.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JaredStanger/status/828873714640904192[/tweet]

A-Dog

Reaction score
I worry about his instincts. Yes, he's a physical freak, and I'm intrigued by the thought of him playing corner, or playing man against TEs in the slot, but is the hypothetical upside worth the risk that he's just not a great football player? He was intriguing as a day two pick but in the first round you're taking a gamble. Earl, Kam, Sherm, and Browner all have unique characteristics, but they are also all football players first and foremost. If it's between Melifonu and Baker I still go with Baker - he's a player.

titan3131

Reaction score
I like this guy but at 26 seems too rich.

Now granted I dont see him making it past 2.12,; so a solid trade down is what I think is the best choice.

2. Obi
2. Kevin King
3. Jordan Willis
3. Zay Jones

Possibly Aviante Collins OL depending on his proday.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
titan3131":3c19dd0l said:
Jared stanger is the arch nemisis of our favorite english seahawk fan rob stanton. I assume the stark contrast of opinion is his way of protesting his ability vs robs. We shall see who wins.

I don't see that.

It's ok to have differing opinions. I too think his tape doesn't match his testing. I certainly didn't see a dominant force on tape with him.

Obviously he's a seahawky type player. Excellent athlete. No question. And prospects aren't finished when they reach the draft. Far from it.

This draft is so deep in good athletes. And a lot of those dominated like you'd expect from their testing numbers. Obi's tape is probably at best described as 'not that bad'. Which essentially concedes that it's also 'not that great'.

If I look at King v. Obi on tape, there's no question I think King is the superior player today. And he's not a player you have to find a role for. He's an outside corner through and through. And that's where our hole in our defense is day 1.

If he's the pick, he's still an awesome prospect. Definitely worthy of #26. But I can't help but think he could be had later. This is a great draft (as opposed to when Byron Jones came out) at DB. Seattle definitely has it's work cut out for them. Because there are pro bowlers to be had in the 25-64 range this year.

ivotuk

Reaction score
If they're not going OLB at 26, I'd like to trade back, get another late 2nd, early 3rd round pick, and nab him then.

IMHO, our biggest need is someone to cover big, fast Tight Ends, ala Brandon Browner. BB wasn't fast (must have been those tiny calves), but he was one tough SOB.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Not sure the discern over his tape. Looks pretty decent to me. Yes, it is highlight footage but it is a lot of good footage.

If you are wringing your hands that he is not first round quality (I disagree) who is to say we do not trade our 1st for a 2nd and another pick and try to get him later. Not like we have not done that before. Also would not be unusual for the FO to reach on a guy they were really committed to getting. Seattle definetly has interest in the guy. Seahawks showing strong interest in UConn safety Obi Melifonwu
[youtube]UGvodzlFpbg[/youtube]

[youtube]EoLixnW-KiY[/youtube]