Just draft Kevin King in the 1st

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Just draft Kevin King in the 1st
Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:20 pm
  • Thanks....that is all.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Re: Just draft Kevin King in the 1st
Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:31 pm
  • If not him, the kid from Utah looked really good also. 6'3 and ran a 4.43.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:21 pm
  • Strongly agree. Don't overthink it.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:31 pm
  • Either would be just fine. Both are elite athletes with size.

Melifonwu (?sp) has exceptional size and explosive athleticism and King has exceptional size but off the charts short area quickness. Frankly I'd like tham both . Melifonwu as a SS/OLB/Bandit type, and King as a CB. Paired with Sherm I suspect he could be special.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:19 pm
  • Not interested.

Budda Baker is like Earl
    Sidney Jones is the #1 CB ball skill like Sherm
    King is closer to Tharold Simon or Jeremy Lane than Sherman

Not sure I'm buying the King hype, he might not hold up size wise. In the 3rd or 4th round I'd be interested.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:41 pm
  • Ive seen a few mock drafts post combine and most have Baker and King being picked within 4 picks of each other. With King's combine, I wouldn't be surprised if he was taken a bit earlier than expected.

A question to ponder is, if King is gone and Baker is available do you take him?
    Formula for success: Rise early, Work hard, repeat.
    Hawk_Nation
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:50 pm
  • Yeah if we want him we might have to take him in the first. So many corners that look good this year, I hope we can trade back and snag still snag a good corner and pick up additional picks.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:01 pm
  • His tape had him between the late second and late third on most extended mocks and evaluations. If his combine numbers push him into the first i hope it isn't to us. The combine proved he's a dude in panties and a halter-top, but I'm not convinced he's first round material.
    endzorn
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:07 pm
  • I don't think he's first round material either but he sure fits the mold of what we're looking for.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:50 am
  • Wow didn't realize he had the best 3 cone time of all the corners too.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:07 am
  • getnasty wrote:Wow didn't realize he had the best 3 cone time of all the corners too.

Best 3 cone drill of anyone at the combine
    GREEDY PUNK PAUL ALLEN, THIS LOSS IS ON YOU.
    "I don't give a crap WHAT you gotta pay, Kam is worth it and I don't want to lose a shot at another SB cuz you - a freaking BILLIONAIRE, are cheapskating Kam over a freaking $900,000.
    You cheapskate."
    SalishHawkFan SEP 13, 2015 1:47 PM
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:09 am
  • King tested out as the most athletic DB at the combine, placing himself in the 99th percentile of all DB's in the NFL
    hburn21
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:39 am
  • Drafting a measurables/combine guy is never a good idea. Not saying that he can't become elite but from game tape mocks had him going 3rd/4th round. Him and Obi look like they are getting that Byron Jones treatment lol
    JumpmanXhawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:34 am
  • He's not a first round talent. He's just too passive of a player. That said, I think he's a better fit for us than anywhere else because of the length and speed, and because he played almost exclusively at RCB. Almost any other corner we would take has played primarily LCB in college.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:58 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:He's not a first round talent. .

His combine results disagree with you.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:05 pm
  • I'm totally on board with King and have seen a few sites list him in the first or early 2nd round. Watching him all year that seems about right although I'm a Husky homer so maybe I'm off base?
    Adopt a Rookie: C.J. Prosise
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:30 pm
  • My dream draft starts with Buddha Baker in the 1st and Kevin King in the 2nd.

However, if I'm Schnieder and could only pick one at #26, knowing the other will be gone, I'm going with Baker.

Earl Thomas is irreplaceable, yet Buddha Baker has the ability to be that type all around rangy defensive field general especially given time to develop. Earl has already taken Baker under his wing, so I see zero issues with Earl mentoring Baker as his heir apparent.

However, what I love about Baker isn't his future at FS but he can come in and compete at NCB and put pressure on Lane. And be more of a Mathieu type DB for the Seahawks early on, then possibly getting handed the torch later at FS.

With that said, let's say the Seahawks also do love King, that they feel he's a great fit and they can coach him up. You can coach up tackling, run fits, technique, agressiveness but you can't coach length and athleticism. And King is elite in both, with the Seahawks track record, I think in the least King can be a solid all-around CB. At best, he could be developed into a shutdown corner. In terms of making plays on the ball rather than the WR, and his recovery quickness, he reminds me a lot of Richard Sherman. There is a lot to like about King, I think he can be an immediate starter at RCB, and I think his ceiling of potential is high with the right coaching.

So, if King is available early to early-mid 2nd round and price is the Seahawks 2018 First-Rounder. I would pull the trigger. I wouldn't mind one bit at the cost.

Secondary is one of the biggest opportunities, I think it needs a shake-up, it needs depth, not buoyed by developmental hopefuls, but immediate talent that compete and contribute right away.
    WE ALL WE GOT, WE ALL WE NEED!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:49 pm
  • JumpmanXhawk wrote:Drafting a measurables/combine guy is never a good idea.

You're joking right?

This entire roster is built on measurables guys. All the way through rounds 1 through 8. Every year. Schneider comes from the Wolf tree of GMs, who came from Al Davis. It's the absolute foundation of our player acquisition model. If there were three rules regarding who to draft, rule one would be take elite athletes. Two and three would be refer to rule one.

The only one I can remember that was taken or even signed as a FA that wasn't was Joey Hunt last year.

Obviously there is more to it than just testing. But if you aren't either athletic or have a unique physical profile, you aren't getting drafted by Seattle at any point in the process. Not even in UDFA.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:57 pm
  • At this point I'd be more surprised if he's not our 1st round pick than anything else this offseason.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:38 pm
  • Aaron Curry had measurable also, you have to have the heart to go with it, you also can teach all the technique you want, you have to have the desire to make contact, you can't teach that either.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:11 pm
  • Attyla the Hawk wrote:
    JumpmanXhawk wrote:Drafting a measurables/combine guy is never a good idea.

You're joking right?

This entire roster is built on measurables guys. All the way through rounds 1 through 8. Every year. Schneider comes from the Wolf tree of GMs, who came from Al Davis. It's the absolute foundation of our player acquisition model. If there were three rules regarding who to draft, rule one would be take elite athletes. Two and three would be refer to rule one.

The only one I can remember that was taken or even signed as a FA that wasn't was Joey Hunt last year.

Obviously there is more to it than just testing. But if you aren't either athletic or have a unique physical profile, you aren't getting drafted by Seattle at any point in the process. Not even in UDFA.

So overdrafting someone based off combine is a good idea?

Jarvis Landry dropped because of a poor combine, but he's a first round talent all day long. The tape showed that, my point is tape SHOULD superced combine numbers.

Not saying it didn't work for us, but generally drafting based off the combine is a bad idea when the tape doesn't back it. Example Breshard Perriman and Phillip Dorsett ARE NOT 1st round talents but got overdrafted do to fast combine times.
    JumpmanXhawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:20 pm
  • I like King but if his combine pushed him into the first round I hope somebody else bites on him. I got at least 5 corners ahead of him. He's got a high ceiling but a low floor too but I'd be much happier seeing him late in the 2nd or 3rd. The way his combine went those 3rd round dreams are all but dashed now. I hope by some miracle Jones drops to us.
    flmmkrz
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:15 pm
  • flmmkrz wrote:I like King but if his combine pushed him into the first round I hope somebody else bites on him. I got at least 5 corners ahead of him. He's got a high ceiling but a low floor too but I'd be much happier seeing him late in the 2nd or 3rd. The way his combine went those 3rd round dreams are all but dashed now. I hope by some miracle Jones drops to us.

FWIW, there might be 5 corners going in the first 25.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:23 pm
  • ImTheScientist wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:He's not a first round talent. .

Yeah but his tape doesn't. He doesn't play with the confidence or agressiveness to have an elite ceiling. I want the kid, but there are enough studs on defense in this draft that you have a legit shot at a pro bowl caliber player, and I don't think he will ever be in one. I've been saying for two years now that he is the one Husky I had hoped we end up with, but that was when we had Shead healthy and King was a projected 3rd-5th rounder. I think in the first we really are desperate for an impactfull difference maker, and I don't think thats him.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:12 am
  • Tical21 wrote:
    ImTheScientist wrote:

Yeah but his tape doesn't. He doesn't play with the confidence or agressiveness to have an elite ceiling. I want the kid, but there are enough studs on defense in this draft that you have a legit shot at a pro bowl caliber player, and I don't think he will ever be in one. I've been saying for two years now that he is the one Husky I had hoped we end up with, but that was when we had Shead healthy and King was a projected 3rd-5th rounder. I think in the first we really are desperate for an impactfull difference maker, and I don't think thats him.

I don't disagree. But--he would be a Seahawk-y pick. His combo of length and quickness are special/rare. As is his ability to turn his head around and make a play on the ball. Pete loves those traits.

The problem is the league has followed suit, I don't think you get that guy in the 4th-7th round anymore.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:08 pm
  • In the second, or more preferably the third round, hell yes.

I don't think he's a 1st rounder. Not this year. Not in this draft.
    Mojambo
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:48 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:
    ImTheScientist wrote:

TAPE is over rated as is the combine.

We've seen many a touted college folks bust in the NFL. The Hawks are going to get an impact SAM first and foremost. Then D-Line, then CB/S in any order.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:40 pm
  • Kevin King's tape is better than what Richard Sherman had coming out of Stanford. King is a better athlete than Sherman. If teams were to redo the draft in the year Sherman came out, then Sherman would have been a top-10 pick. You can find flaws, or nit pick any prospect, or find some plays in their game tape and say "see he got beat here". For me King has proven to be a 1st round CB.
    cover-2
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:57 pm
  • I'd be fine with King I don't think the Simon comparison holds any water. King has starting talent and played with Jones so some of Jones must have washed off on him and jones could be the best CB in this draft.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:02 pm
  • Northwest Seahawk wrote:I'd be fine with King I don't think the Simon comparison holds any water. King has starting talent and played with Jones so some of Jones must have washed off on him and jones could be the best CB in this draft.

Now that Sidney Jones has just sustained an injury, and in all probability, be moved out of the 1st Round, is there now a possibility King moves up the scale, and maybe out of reach for us?
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:38 pm
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    Northwest Seahawk wrote:I'd be fine with King I don't think the Simon comparison holds any water. King has starting talent and played with Jones so some of Jones must have washed off on him and jones could be the best CB in this draft.

Now that Sidney Jones has just sustained an injury, and in all probability, be moved out of the 1st Round, is there now a possibility King moves up the scale, and maybe out of reach for us?

Torn Achilles
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:52 pm
  • Take Baker in first and Jones in 6th.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:25 pm
  • Seafan wrote:Take Baker in first and Jones in 6th.

Jones is not gonna free fall to round 6.

Too talented and the ceiling is too high.

A team that is smart and has a good system will stash him, rehabilitate him, and then turn him into a pro bowler!

I'm starting to think the Patriots might take a chance on him.
    "You know why I'm on Seahawks.net!" -Marshawn Lynch

Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions

Pete Carroll & Darrell Bevell be like: "Trust us--we're gonna outsmart them!"
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Rookie

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:48 pm
  • Daniel Jeremiah just mocked King to us in the 1st round on NFL Network. Make it so
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:21 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information