Freaky 6'7" DE Tanoh Kpassagnon of Villannove

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I get the impression that this young man will actually be really good. He's not one of the many large, athletic, players that get in to the NFL and just aren't football players. I think this guy is, a football player.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
If he's there in the 6th great.

3rd is way too high for him. This is a day three project all the way. Good athlete though and someone I could see us being interested in if we had a 5th round pick.

This draft is going to have day one starter quality in R3. If you look at the talents in big board fashion, it's rather stark what kind of names will be there in the 85-100 range. Tanoh isn't of that caliber. But he would be a good 'draft ahead of need' prospect who could replace Marsh if he leaves in UFA next year.

titan3131

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2fx94id3 said:

3rd is way too high for him. This is a day three project all the way. Good athlete though and someone I could see us being interested in if we had a 5th round pick.

This draft is going to have day one starter quality in R3. If you look at the talents in big board fashion, it's rather stark what kind of names will be there in the 85-100 range. Tanoh isn't of that caliber. But he would be a good 'draft ahead of need' prospect who could replace Marsh if he leaves in UFA next year.

Replace marsh? I was thinking he would be a 3T, similar to Calias Campbell. As for his draft position, the athletic upside makes me feel that he will get picked in the 4th its just too unique of a body to get past that point imo.

purpleneer

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1xm7tlht said:

Not trying to really knock you here, but weren't Ansah and JPP raw projects too? Both were comfortably worth their high 1st round selections.
And while I love this draft through the 3rd, I think it's overly optimistic to assume day 1 starter is going to be easy. We can be in such a rush on the young guys and forget how few are truly ready that soon. There's nothing wrong with drafting ahead of need early in the draft.
Also, I haven't even watched him yet, so he could be wrong guy to make these points about.

Hawks46

Reaction score
purpleneer":1fn4xa7e said:
Attyla the Hawk":1fn4xa7e said:

Not trying to really knock you here, but weren't Ansah and JPP raw projects too? Both were comfortably worth their high 1st round selections.
And while I love this draft through the 3rd, I think it's overly optimistic to assume day 1 starter is going to be easy. We can be in such a rush on the young guys and forget how few are truly ready that soon. There's nothing wrong with drafting ahead of need early in the draft.
Also, I haven't even watched him yet, so he could be wrong guy to make these points about.

So was Margus Hunt and he didn't turn out.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
purpleneer":1rvq5os7 said:

Indeed they were. Tanoh's testing is not even in the same stratosphere as those two.

He's an above average athlete. But not even exceptional. Honestly, I don't see us being that interested. Need isn't going to push DL up the draft. And he's not so awesome an athlete that we would be enticed to take him.

Compare to Frank Clark (taken end of R2)

.03 slower in 40
8.5 inches shorter in vert
10 inches longer in BJ
.5 seconds slower in 3 cone
.6 seconds slower in SS

Kpassagnon is a sub 70 percentile NFL edge prospect. Clark was a 95th percentile athlete.

So Tanoh really doesn't have anything close to resembling great testing numbers. He has a good profile if you're picking in the 130-200 range. And to take him, a team would be passing on talents that are far better testers at other positions. If a team wants to take him in the third, I think other teams thank that hapless victim under their breaths, and enjoy the talents they allowed to be available to them.

cover-2

Reaction score
He doesn't have that "dog" mentality that I want in defensive players. But at his length and athletic ability I would see if he would be willing to switch to OT.

chris98251

Reaction score
cover-2":2ltju84m said:
He doesn't have that "dog" mentality that I want in defensive players. But at his length and athletic ability I would see if he would be willing to switch to OT.

cover-2 is Tom Cable !

purpleneer

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":231pw7ex said:
purpleneer":231pw7ex said:

Indeed they were. Tanoh's testing is not even in the same stratosphere as those two.

He's an above average athlete. But not even exceptional. Honestly, I don't see us being that interested. Need isn't going to push DL up the draft. And he's not so awesome an athlete that we would be enticed to take him.

.03 slower in 40
10 inches longer in BJ
.6 seconds slower in SS

Kpassagnon is a sub 70 percentile NFL edge prospect. Clark was a 95th percentile athlete.

So Tanoh really doesn't have anything close to resembling great testing numbers. He has a good profile if you're picking in the 130-200 range. And to take him, a team would be passing on talents that are far better testers at other positions. If a team wants to take him in the third, I think other teams thank that hapless victim under their breaths, and enjoy the talents they allowed to be available to them.
Appreciate the added take on the player. I was focussing a bit much on the (imo excessive) downgrade for rawness and extra importance on a guy's first-year impact. I don't consider the 3rd too early to draft someone who needs a smaller role as a rookie.
How far into the deeper LB options have you gone? One I liked unexpectedly, specifically for that extra ability in space/coverage is Magloire from Arizona.

cheese22

Reaction score
I don't think the 3rd is too early when you consider 1) we have three 3rd round picks (so he could be our 4th or 5th actual pick), 2) his upside is HUGE 3) we are one of a few teams that has the luxury of not necessarily needing immediate impact players. Of course we need to get better and of course you don't want to just throw away picks, but if this guy takes some coaching (he is an extremely smart dude) he could be a monster in a year or 2.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Thinking we can roll the dice and overdraft a prospect because we have three 3rd rounds picks is dangerous. We need to restock with quality every year. Some year's are loaded (2012), and some are weaker (2013 & 2014). Outside of OL, this is a very interesting draft from a Seahawks standpoint.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1x3f8spo said:
purpleneer":1x3f8spo said:

.03 slower in 40
10 inches longer in BJ
.6 seconds slower in SS

It's a good point, except Clark was 18 lbs lighter than Tanoh Kpassagnon. Kpassagnon is more of a traditional strongside DE. I think a better comparison would be Calais Campbell, since they are both 6'7, 290 lbs:

Kpassagnon's 40 (combine): 4.83
Calais Campbell's 40 (pro day): 5.00

Kpassagnon's 10-yard split: 1.75
Calais Campbell's 10-yard split: 1.72

Kpassagnon's short shuttle: 4.62
Calais Campbell's short shuttle: 4.63

Kpassagnon's 3-Cone: 7.19
Calais Campbell's 3-Cone: 7.46

So their size, length, power, and explosiveness are similar, but Campbell is a more fluid athlete for his size. Kpassagnon had 21.5 tackles for loss and 11 sacks last year, but that was at the FCS level. Maybe we will trade down for a late 4th or mid-5th round pick, where he would be a good value. Just looking over some of his tape, he tends to play too high.

For what it's worth, Kpassagnon had the highest SPARQ score at the combine among the big defensive linemen:
https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/dl/